BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
my car idles at 6,000 rpm
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all

Just got nailed by a Torrance City officer for doing 52 in a 35 zone. The citation is a CVC 22350 violation... the 52mph speed wasn't even measured by laser gun; it was based on his own estimate. Since I haven't had a ticket in the past three years, I have the option to be a sucker paying the fine and online safety school. Does anyone know how many point(s) will CVC22350 cost me? Is it worth fighting?

Thanks!!

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
blazingbeat said:
Hello all

Just got nailed by a Torrance City officer for doing 52 in a 35 zone. The citation is a CVC 22350 violation... the 52mph speed wasn't even measured by laser gun; it was based on his own estimate. Since I haven't had a ticket in the past three years, I have the option to be a sucker and pay the fine and do online safety school. Does anyone know how many point(s) will CVC22350 will cost me? Is it worth fighting ?

Thanks!!
Basic Speed Law.
22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.
The officer could have felt that you were going faster than what he felt was safe for the conditions at the time. If you can prove that there were no circumstances that would have put you or anyone else in danger and weather, traffic condition, etc also jives, then you MAY have a chance at beating it. This should only be 1 point on your record though. How bad was the fine? If it wasn't a lot and you are eligible for traffic school, just suck it up and go to traffic school. That's just my two cents.

·
ex-M couper
1,751 Posts
blazingbeat said:
Hello all

Just got nailed by a Torrance City officer for doing 52 in a 35 zone.
First question: "Were you doing it?"
The citation is a CVC 22350 violation... the 52mph speed wasn't even measured by laser gun; it was based on his own estimate.
And your point is??? Speeding tickets have been given out long before the laser equipment had even been invented.
Since I haven't had a ticket in the past three years, I have the option to be a sucker and pay the fine and do online safety school. Does anyone know how many point(s) will CVC22350 will cost me? Is it worth fighting ?

Thanks!!
If you weren't exceeding 35 mph, fight it. If you have a witness it would help.

If you were exceeding 35mph, just pay up, choose traffic school if you wish, and consider it part of the cost of speed.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response guys. I am sure my speed was over the 35 mph speed limit, but was it ~52 mph? Honestly, I don’t remember :D . I don’t know how much this ticket will cost me sine the citation hasn’t entered into the system yet (very efficient…). It will take several days before I can even start to ‘pay off’ (fine + safety school), which is the most annoying part. Online safety school only takes about an hour to finish anyway.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
If you were exceeding 35mph, just pay up, choose traffic school if you wish, and consider it part of the cost of speed.
You can not choose traffic school for speeding over 30 mph, it is entirely the judge's discretion whether you are allowed a traffic school to erase the point.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HACK said:
You can not choose traffic school for speeding over 30 mph ...
Hi Hack, do you mean 30 mph over the speed limit or speed violation in any 30 mph+ zone? My last speeding ticket (around 2000) was for doing 60 in a 45 zone, and I was able to erase the record by attending online traffic school. Maybe the regulations have changed?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
blazingbeat said:
Hi Hack, do you mean 30 mph over the speed limit or speed violation in any 30 mph+ zone? My last speeding ticket (around 2000) was for doing 60 in a 45 zone, and I was able to erase the record by attending online traffic school. Maybe the regulations have changed?
30 miles OVER the speed limit.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HACK said:
30 miles OVER the speed limit.
Thanks for the clarification :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.