BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My car randomly showed the check engine light and then started limping. Drove it home turned it off and then turned it on to take it to the local indy shop and it drove NORMAL. They told me code was for a cylinder 3 misfire. I was told by BMW to replace the spark plugs and all the coils when I went for my last brake flush (bad idea) ... they quoted me some outrageous number (i believe it was like 600-700 bucks) and basically told me I would be an idiot if I continued to drive it. My local indy shop told me it is not required to change out every ignition coil as they work independently of each other and quoted me 486 bucks to replace all the spark plugs and the one bad ignition coil.

Is this something that is doable at home? My only gripe is the torquing, but is there a good way of doing this bit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
yes dont over torque them! pretty sure plugs are around 65.00 for NGKs or similiar. Just had the dealer swap out my plugs at 40k miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,321 Posts
the one bad ignition coil.
This is not a 'fact'. While a bad coil CAN cause a misfire, this isnt a certainty.

If you are overdue for a plug change, I would do that. Then, you can swap the coil for #3 to another location and see if the problem moves- if it does, then just replace that one coil. Or, if you are paying, then just replace the one coil BUT recognize it is a best guess.

If you dont have a torque wrench, dont do this job. It isnt hard, but the "F Up Factor" is high. Cross thread, or break something and the money you saved will be gone 5-10x over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes dont over torque them! pretty sure plugs are around 65.00 for NGKs or similiar. Just had the dealer swap out my plugs at 40k miles.
Awesome... BMW told me they use the platinum version, but the indy shop said they use NGK iridium ones. No clue as to why, iridium is supposed to be better from what i understand.

Thanks! I will look into this.

This is not a 'fact'. While a bad coil CAN cause a misfire, this isnt a certainty.

If you are overdue for a plug change, I would do that. Then, you can swap the coil for #3 to another location and see if the problem moves- if it does, then just replace that one coil. Or, if you are paying, then just replace the one coil BUT recognize it is a best guess.

If you dont have a torque wrench, dont do this job. It isnt hard, but the "F Up Factor" is high. Cross thread, or break something and the money you saved will be gone 5-10x over.
I see your point. I do have a torque wrench but I'm not exactly 100 percent comfortable doing this. I do have my hesitations haha. I will most likely end up getting the Indy shop to do this. However, the owner stated that if there is a leak from the valve gasket (which i was told by BMW 2 months ago that the valve cover is cracked), I would have no option except to replace the entire cover and not just the gasket. I still have to research this. Any input from you guys? There is no visible oil anywhere on the cover or on the ground/underneath the panels. It seems to be way cheaper to replace just the gaskets versus the entire thing.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,321 Posts
Awesome... BMW told me they use the platinum version, but the indy shop said they use NGK iridium ones. No clue as to why, iridium is supposed to be better from what i understand.

Thanks! I will look into this.

I see your point. I do have a torque wrench but I'm not exactly 100 percent comfortable doing this. I do have my hesitations haha. I will most likely end up getting the Indy shop to do this. However, the owner stated that if there is a leak from the valve gasket (which i was told by BMW 2 months ago that the valve cover is cracked), I would have no option except to replace the entire cover and not just the gasket. I still have to research this. Any input from you guys? There is no visible oil anywhere on the cover or on the ground/underneath the panels. It seems to be way cheaper to replace just the gaskets versus the entire thing.
I would strickly stay with OE or OEM plugs- whatever is PRECISELY the same as the OE. Not "iridium upgrades". Only downside, no upside.

If the cover is CRACKED it needs to be replaced, period. You can get oil leaks out of the valve cover into the spark plug well and cause misfires. THis may not show up as oil on the ground. Id get a second opionon on the cracked VC..seems unusual.

I am sure there are youtube videos on doing plugs. Spend an hour, watch and read a dozen, see if you are still intimidated. You can pick up enough tips to do the job.

GL

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,666 Posts
+1 "Only downside, no upside." Watchwords to live by!!! Read N. N. Taleb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2013 328i into the shop and they diagnosed that cylinder three coil is bad. They want to replace all the coils and plugs at 48,000 miles for a cost of $750.00. What would you recommend? I reviewed a youtube.com video on the replacement of the coil and it looks relatively easy. Replace all coils or just the bad one? Plugs?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took my 2013 328i into the shop and they diagnosed that cylinder three coil is bad. They want to replace all the coils and plugs at 48,000 miles for a cost of $750.00. What would you recommend? I reviewed a youtube.com video on the replacement of the coil and it looks relatively easy. Replace all coils or just the bad one? Plugs?
Depends on how much your time is worth. If you're at all mechanically inclined, you can probably handle the job yourself. I'm not sure what the cost for parts is, but if it's not a lot you might as well do it all at once. If one went bad, there's a chance others might as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,321 Posts
Is the "shop" an indy or dealer?

Replace all plugs, only replace bad coil, IMO. BUT...my labor is super cheap.

You should price the parts online so you can get a sense of whether or not they are taking advantage of you or not... Plugs are about $40 a set for OEMs. I didnt look up coils....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts