Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced all 6 spark plugs on my 2012 X5. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the cylinder misfire detected codes. Should I also replace the ignition coils?

Thank you in advance

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
I love these posts.... you have a long running issue, you've been replacing parts... yet this thread simply starts with 'misfire codes'.

WHAT SPECIFIC CODES? How many, what are they, when do they occur?

Why did you replace the fuel pressure sensor?

I will tell you that it is rare for mulitple coils to fail all at once. So if you are getting codes on multiple cylinders, it probably wasnt plugs or coils. (Although plugs should be replaced at 100k, so youve taken that out of the equation.)

Let us know the specific codes and what else has been going on....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for offering your knowledge and help.

This is my wife’s car which has 135K. She stated her check engine light came on with an error message “Engine Malfunction reduce power” and the car did not have the power like it normally does. I scanned it and it came up with the following codes.
P15DF: Fuel high-pressure system, cold start: pressure too low

P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
-Defect in wiring harness between DME and rail-pressure sensor
-Defective rail-pressure sensor
-Defect in high-pressure system
-Defective DME

P0300 Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire detected
P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire detected
No P0303 and P0304 they were fine.

I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and all 6 spark plugs.
Code P0087 is not showing up anymore, so I think I fixed the issue. When I reconnected the negative battery terminal after replacing the part. My lights, front windows, and side mirrors do not work know. I was told that my footwell module went out. This will be fixed under warranty by BMW. One thing after another

I scanned the car again and the same misfire codes showed up except for P0303, that was eliminated from the original list. A new code was added to the list P0304 which was not on the original list.
The car starts and idles low and shuts off with the AC on. When the AC is off it idles low

Thank you!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
You have a fuel pump issue, IMO

When misfires are all over, it isnt a 'cylinder based' issue, but rather something else that impacts ALL cylinders

Sounds like you replace the sensor as it was cheap.

Consider the pump and how the fuel system pumps and circulates fuel. HPFP is an easy guess, but could be the in tank pump, filter, or one of the hoses allowing fuel to leak back into the tank

www.newtis.info

there are a ton of threads around fuel pumps and trouble shooting.... you have reached the end of using 'codes' to help diagnose this, IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid you were going to say that. It doesn't look very hard fix. The hard part is the price of the darn thing. Haha Beats having the dealer fix it tho. I will look in to trouble shooting this component first and take it from there. Thank you for your expert advise.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have replaced all 6 spark plugs on my 2012 X5. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the cylinder misfire detected codes. Should I also replace the ignition coils?

Thank you in advance
I have replaced both coil and plugs together. Does not cost much and you are in the same spot . 300 bucks extra won't break your bank.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
I have replaced both coil and plugs together. Does not cost much and you are in the same spot . 300 bucks extra won't break your bank.
Well, if it were a coil issue, sure. But you dont get 3,4 coils all failing simultaneously.

I think people replace coils way more than is really needed. Yes, some cars- some coil designs- have had historically high failure rates. Cars that run very hot at the heads. But not these.

IMOz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just realized the sparks plugs were not torque down to spec 17ft lb. I will work on this Tuesday when I receive the coils. All sway bar links will be replaced this weekend.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
Lol

You***8217;re wasting money on coils. Whatever.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are lots of things that can cause a random misfire, which is why I wouldn't go replacing the coils just yet. Chances are, unless highly neglected, not all your spark plugs and coils would fail at the same time. There has to be a commonality for that effect, and the good thing is, there is a finite list of issues that will cause all cylinders to misfire. Let's take a step back and evaluate. The first question, can you physically detect the misfire? I.e. does the engine shake, when sitting in the vehicle can you feel the shake, can you hear it in the exhaust? Have you cleaned your MAF? Do not use carb cleaner. It is sensitive, so use only MAF cleaner spray, and do not touch the MAF element or wire.

In your particular case, I'd venture a guess that you may indeed have a fuel pressure issue. You replaced the sensor but you may still have low fuel pressure. Why on earth did you replace the sensor though? Only replace the sensor if the computer tells you you have low pressure and there is no other problem. Otherwise, it's most likely still good. Get a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading. Read the pressure before and after the fuel pressure regulator. That will determine if the regulator is good. Remedy if not. If you have neglected your fuel filter, change that also.

If the misfire is still there and fuel pressure is normal, get a good scanner and check your oxygen sensors' function. The upstream o2 sensor readings will fluctuate and is what the computer uses to compensate fuel delivery. If your o2 sensors are dead, stuck, or just lazy, it will cause random misfires. The downstream o2 sensor determines your catalytic converter's efficiency. If your downstream sensor readings fluctuate, your cat is no good. If it reads too lean, the cat is clogged. A clogged catalytic will build enough backpressure to cause random misfires or even stall your engine.

Check your wiring harness to the coils. The computer uses at least one (sometimes two) wires to determine whether a coil fired. If this wire is broken, the computer will take it as a misfire because it cannot detect a successful fire.

The list of causes go on, but I doubt there is a need to expound further.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are lots of things that can cause a random misfire, which is why I wouldn't go replacing the coils just yet. Chances are, unless highly neglected, not all your spark plugs and coils would fail at the same time. There has to be a commonality for that effect, and the good thing is, there is a finite list of issues that will cause all cylinders to misfire. Let's take a step back and evaluate. The first question, can you physically detect the misfire? I.e. does the engine shake, when sitting in the vehicle can you feel the shake, can you hear it in the exhaust? Have you cleaned your MAF? Do not use carb cleaner. It is sensitive, so use only MAF cleaner spray, and do not touch the MAF element or wire.

In your particular case, I'd venture a guess that you may indeed have a fuel pressure issue. You replaced the sensor but you may still have low fuel pressure. Why on earth did you replace the sensor though? Only replace the sensor if the computer tells you you have low pressure and there is no other problem. Otherwise, it's most likely still good. Get a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading. Read the pressure before and after the fuel pressure regulator. That will determine if the regulator is good. Remedy if not. If you have neglected your fuel filter, change that also.

If the misfire is still there and fuel pressure is normal, get a good scanner and check your oxygen sensors' function. The upstream o2 sensor readings will fluctuate and is what the computer uses to compensate fuel delivery. If your o2 sensors are dead, stuck, or just lazy, it will cause random misfires. The downstream o2 sensor determines your catalytic converter's efficiency. If your downstream sensor readings fluctuate, your cat is no good. If it reads too lean, the cat is clogged. A clogged catalytic will build enough backpressure to cause random misfires or even stall your engine.

Check your wiring harness to the coils. The computer uses at least one (sometimes two) wires to determine whether a coil fired. If this wire is broken, the computer will take it as a misfire because it cannot detect a successful fire.

The list of causes go on, but I doubt there is a need to expound further.

The car does shake to the point it wants to turn off. I can hear the puttering in the exhaust, but no backfire. I have not cleaned my MAF. I will have to clean that then. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor because that was one of the many things on the list under code P0087. I believe this was the problem because the code has not appeared since I replaced it, not sure though. My X5 is not a diesel, so it does not have a stand-alone fuel filter. It is part of the HPFP. Would the fuel pressure gauge reading tell me if I have a bad HPFP? I have been using a generic foxwell scanner. I ordered a BMW specific scanner and I will get it on Sunday. I will then scan it again and see more details. I will let you know what I see. Please bear with me. I am a prosthetist/orthotist and I see patients for artificial limbs and braces. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I am following so far.

I will hold on to the coils. I will check the following and return them since I have a 90 days return.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
The car does shake to the point it wants to turn off. I can hear the puttering in the exhaust, but no backfire. I have not cleaned my MAF. I will have to clean that then. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor because that was one of the many things on the list under code P0087. I believe this was the problem because the code has not appeared since I replaced it, not sure though. My X5 is not a diesel, so it does not have a stand-alone fuel filter. It is part of the HPFP. Would the fuel pressure gauge reading tell me if I have a bad HPFP? I have been using a generic foxwell scanner. I ordered a BMW specific scanner and I will get it on Sunday. I will then scan it again and see more details. I will let you know what I see. Please bear with me. I am a prosthetist/orthotist and I see patients for artificial limbs and braces. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I am following so far.

I will hold on to the coils. I will check the following and return them since I have a 90 days return.
Hey, you are willing to try and learn, so keep at it.

While I appreciate Wolf's somewhat methodological approach, he caveats' the whole O2/CAT thing with "if your fuel pressure is OK". You had fuel pressure codes. (Could just be you havent driven enough. Harder driving might increase fuel demands to then trip a FP code. Assume your are babying...)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey, you are willing to try and learn, so keep at it.

While I appreciate Wolf's somewhat methodological approach, he caveats' the whole O2/CAT thing with "if your fuel pressure is OK". You had fuel pressure codes. (Could just be you havent driven enough. Harder driving might increase fuel demands to then trip a FP code. Assume your are babying...)
Not to be read as a caveat, but more of a process of elimination from the easiest/cheapest thing to more difficult/more expensive thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received my scanner earlier than expect. I plugged it right in and OMG! This car has a lot of issues. I don***8217;t know more than half of what this stuff means. I have attached pictures for direction towards the primary issue I***8217;m currently having. Can you please direct me to what section I should be paying more attention to. Please let me know if you do not see the pics. Thanks you!

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
lol. Yes, the panic.

I think you can move to each of those line items, hit enter and you will see what the codes are.

But.

Those are all the codes since the last reset. COuld be years worth of faults. COuld be a slew of faults around someone letting the battery run down and needing to jump it. Who knows.

I would look up ALL the faults, document them. Write them down. (Yeah, you can take pictures but at some point they ought to be collected in one spot, not pictures on a phone. Few people will look at images for you to find the fault so that can look it up...just saying)

Then clear all your codes. Drive it, see what comes back.

To your question, the main issue is the ECM errors. looks like there are 20. Go to that section. Tell us what they are, so the thread is updated.
Clear
Then let us know what comes back

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol. Yes, the panic.

I think you can move to each of those line items, hit enter and you will see what the codes are.

But.

Those are all the codes since the last reset. COuld be years worth of faults. COuld be a slew of faults around someone letting the battery run down and needing to jump it. Who knows.

I would look up ALL the faults, document them. Write them down. (Yeah, you can take pictures but at some point they ought to be collected in one spot, not pictures on a phone. Few people will look at images for you to find the fault so that can look it up...just saying)

Then clear all your codes. Drive it, see what comes back.

To your question, the main issue is the ECM errors. looks like there are 20. Go to that section. Tell us what they are, so the thread is updated.
Clear
Then let us know what comes back
LMAO. Panic is right! I told my wife. We have some serious problems. hahahaha

I have some homework to do this weekend. I will document all the codes. I will then post all the ECM errors codes in a day of two. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are all the codes for ECM Engine Control Module. What a mess!

-2EFE combustion misfire several cylinders detected.
-2EEO misfire several cylinders fuel injection deactivation.
-2F00 combustion misfire cylinder 2 detected
-2EFF combustion misfire cylinder 1 detected.
-2EE4 misfire cylinder 1 fuel injection deactivation.
-2EE7 misfire cylinder 2 fuel injection deactivation.
-2FO1 Combustion misfire cylinder 3 detected.
-2EEA misfire cylinder 3 fuel injection deactivation.
-2F03 misfire cylinder 5 detected
-2EF1 Misfire cylinder 5 fuel injection deactivation.
-2C01 High pressure fuel plausibility pressure too low
-2F04 misfire cylinder 6 detected
-2F02 Combustion misfire cylinder 4 detected
-2EE2 Misfire several cylinders Damaging exhaust gas after starting up.
-2EE6 misfire cylinder 1 damaging exhaust gas after starting up
-2EF3 Misfire cylinder 5 damaging exhaust gas after starting up.
-2EEC Misfire cylinder 3 damaging exhaust gas after starting up.
-2EF6 misfire cylinder 6 damaging exhaust gas after starting up
-2EE9 misfire cylinder 2 damaging exhaust gas after starting up.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts