BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of ordering these d2s hid bulbs for my 745 off ebay the color temparture is 10k has anyone done this especially going with such a high color temp, the reason why im doing this id because one of my xenon bulbs went bad the other day and i went to the autoparts store and they charged me $114 for one bulb i feel like i got ripped off considering i can buy a whole hid kit for 100 for another car but the guy said thats the price of the bulb so i bought it and installed and i noticed that it is alot more yellow when it warms up then the other side with the factory bulb...they have these d2s bulb pair on ebay for 22 bucks shipped!! is this right or did i get ripped?

·
the cleanest1
2,632 Posts
You did get ripped off for one bulb. 22 bucks sound too cheap, they probably suck. They should run you about 80bucks for 2 bulbs. You should be able to find all kinds of color temp. 6K is the best for visibility and then the higher it gets the harder it is too see. I had 12K on the lexus and they were dark blue. Looked really cool but got pulled over right after i installed them for my lights being too blue. Another things because they were blue, everything on the road thats white was blue at night because it would reflect the color. I had 10K in the foglights and it looked good. Had light blue kinda color to it. Do your search on ebay and you will find it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well how do i know if they are the cheap kind because i just ordered them only 22 bucks even if they are garbage its not a big deal not like my 200 dollar trunk lip that is made of fiberglass and is wavy and doesnt even fit my trunk the right way cant return that because it was painted

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I got a set of 8000K bulbs back in January for $19 on eBay and they were great. One just blew, but I think that was my fault -- I think I touched one the last time I had them out. I just received a set of 6000K's and a set of 8000K's from an eBay seller for $16 / pair. Love em, they work just fine. Below are pictures of the first set of 8000K bulbs.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
when it comes to your saftey, don't cheap out or be stupid.

4300K temp is the factory light color, it's pretty white with a minuscule tint of yellow. 5000K is pure white, 6000K is white with a more than a hint of blue. Here's a chart that can give you a general idea.

The best HID bulbs out there are the Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs (4300K). They give you the most light output (500-1000 lumens more than regular HID bulbs). It's about 100 dollars for two of these shipped to your door from the retrofitsource (the real, legit product)

Also for a bit of knowledge, HID bulbs should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs. HID bulbs will colorshift after about 100 hours of use. They will turn whiter and bluer since they have been broken in. That is why one appeared yellow and one appeared white.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I've had 3 separate sets of the $16 eBay ones, and I have never had an error.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts