BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Happily Driving
7,169 Posts
$3k in damages, you could get a new bumper for that kind of coin. You should take the car to a detail shop or paintless dent removal place and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
$3k in damages, you could get a new bumper for that kind of coin. You should take the car to a detail shop or paintless dent removal place and see what they can do for you.
Definitely agree need to price the repairs separately from the new car otherwise easy to get screwed.
I'm going through a similar thing with lease end damages But the weird thing is that the original dealer for my old car is estimating over $2500 in repairs , while another one who I will lease a new x5 from is giving me an official BMW estimate to just replace the bumper and fender for $800 total. at this price and given "low mileage credits" it becomes almost more beneficial to just return the car to the new dealer then taking it to an outside shop. Unless there is some catch when I actually return the car and that's my concern now...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why not go to another dealer (or do it online). Negotiate a fair price for the car off the invoice. Demand full disclosure of all the leasing terms. Ensure dealer is giving you best possible money factor and not marking up the acquisition fee or adding other hidden charges. Pay 7 security deposits to get the best possible rate. Then once you have the lease payment, go back to your dealer and negotiate. If they want your business they will absorb some of the cost for the damages.

I don't know the extent of your damages, but my preliminary inspection was very positive. I had quite a few scratches and even a cracked mirror, but they assessed only $200 in damages. Maybe this will change when I finally turn the car in, or maybe my dealer is just being honest and ethical...
LOLOLOL! Honest and ethical would be nice...

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,958 Posts
LOLOLOL! Honest and ethical would be nice...
There's nothing that says you have to turn in the car at the dealership where you leased it. Another dealership might be willing to give you more favorable terms.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,941 Posts
How big is the deductible on your auto insurance? It's got to be less than $3,000. Submit a claim and let Allstate / GEICO / whomever take care of the damages.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,857 Posts
How big is the deductible on your auto insurance? It's got to be less than $3,000. Submit a claim and let Allstate / GEICO / whomever take care of the damages.
Typically an auto claim is per event... so unless you convince them that all the damage occurred at once, it will incur a deductible per each ding.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Wouldn't that also constitute insurance fraud?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,857 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,941 Posts
Wouldn't that also constitute insurance fraud?
Why? There is body damage to the car. I assume the OP's auto policy covers body damage to the car. No one's suggesting he do anything fraudulent, like drive into a wall at 5mph to require the bumper to be replaced. lf you did something like that, you would smoke a turd in Purgatory for sure.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
But this means that the OP would represent separate incidents as one - a lie - constituting insurance fraud. How else would the OP be able to do it without it being fraudulent? Can you explain how to do this so it isn't fraudulent? I honestly can't see how it could be done for the same reasons that ARD has listed in post #26.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,941 Posts
But this means that the OP would represent separate incidents as one - a lie - constituting insurance fraud. How else would the OP be able to do it without it being fraudulent? Can you explain how to do this so it isn't fraudulent? I honestly can't see how it could be done for the same reasons that ARD has listed in post #26.
Chris,

I have no way of knowing whether the damage to the OP's car was done by multiple separate losses. That's why there are claims adjusters. A couple years back, my wife had several nicks and scratches on her E53 rear bumper. Then one day an inattentive driver bumped her at a stop sign. Our insurance repaired and repainted the entire bumper. There was no "extra deductible" for the pre-existing scratches.

I am not suggesting the OP lie. However, I am suggesting he take the car to a drive in claims adjuster. The worst that can happen is he is told "Nope. Not covered." But with $3,000 on the line it would be worth a half hour of my life to go through the exercise.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I live in the city so I constantly get bumped etc.
In my mind, this is a strong pointer that alludes to the fact that the damage was caused on more than one instance, as well as post #7.

I also recommend that the OP be very careful about what they say to their insurance company. For example, when I called GEICO about my windscreen, they specifically asked if I was making a general inquiry or a claim. They would only procede beyond a certain point if I was making a formal claim - they couldn't respond to certain "what if" type questions. After that point, it seemed to get extremely procedural and legal, and I was under the strong impression that any information I was giving was going onto my insurance record. There was nothing "casual" about it.

I guess you could always withdraw a claim, but it may negatively impact you if there was anything suspect or negative about the claim. I personally believe insurance companies are usually out to jack up rates, and where possible, deny claims - regardless of all those lovey dovey ads they run.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a two year old 335xi that I took in for a pre lease inspection and the dealer said I was good to go and would get a credit on mileage only if I leased a new BMW.

A week later I took the car in to drop it off with the intent of ordering a new M3 Vert <when they had silly leases> and the dealer charged me $600 in "damages" for a five inch scratch in the rear quarter panel. They wouldn't negotiate what so ever.

My car was two years old and was in perfect shape other than the scratch (not even any curb rash - and we live in the city) and had 12k miles out of the allowed 20k. The car was a win/win situation for bmw.

I walked out furious and got into a S4 as Audi treated me much better with my last lease turn in.

Your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
262 Posts
nmsg

·
Registered
262 Posts
That makes me nervous! I just pre-inspected my 535 on Saturday. The person performing the inspection passed on all the door dings, wheel curb rash, tread depth but had a problem with the 1-foot long scratch on the body sideskirt which he said would be $200. But when he saw that I am 6000 miles under the alloted miles he said there will be enough mileage credit and don't fix it. I am also leasing a new X5. I was stoked.

This was all verbal and he didn't give me anything in writing. Are we supposed to get anything in writing for a pre-inspection?

·
Registered
260 Posts
That makes me nervous! I just pre-inspected my 535 on Saturday. The person performing the inspection passed on all the door dings, wheel curb rash, tread depth but had a problem with the 1-foot long scratch on the body sideskirt which he said would be $200. But when he saw that I am 6000 miles under the alloted miles he said there will be enough mileage credit and don't fix it. I am also leasing a new X5. I was stoked.

This was all verbal and he didn't give me anything in writing. Are we supposed to get anything in writing for a pre-inspection?
Not sure if you're supposed to, but I did when I went to get my pre-inspection done. The person performing the inspection was pretty nice and counted two scratches on my driver side door as 'small' so as to keep the costs of their getting fixed down. Ignored everything else (minor rim scratches, etc.). I received a form similar, if not exactly, like the one I'd receive if I was turning my car in at the end of the lease, which stated everything I could be charged for (not having maintenance up to date, not having both sets of keys, disposition fee, etc.).

·
Registered
2021 540xi M Sport / Premium / Driving Assistance Plus / Parking Assistance
547 Posts

I got a pre-inspection report in writing.

What do you mean by "mileage credit?" I did not think they give anything back if you don't use the miles...

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
I got a pre-inspection report in writing.

What do you mean by "mileage credit?" I did not think they give anything back if you don't use the miles...
If you are well under your mileage (I think it is a minimum of 10%) AND you buy/lease another BMW through BMWFS, they will give you a credit towards any wear and tear charges (but if you don't have wear and tear charges, you get nothing).

·
Aviator
2,968 Posts
If you are well under your mileage (I think it is a minimum of 10%) AND you buy/lease another BMW through BMWFS, they will give you a credit towards any wear and tear charges (but if you don't have wear and tear charges, you get nothing).
Exactly. I just turned in a 550 with 24,000 miles on a 45,000 mile lease, and received nothing as I had zero wear and tear charges. The 7 MSD's were returned promptly and the $350 lease disposition fee was waived as I have a 2012 650 on order for ED in September.

Dick

·
Registered
262 Posts
The CA/inspector used the term "mileage credit" but I think he meant it more as an "allowance". Just as Sarafil and dkreidel described, the dealer will use them to waive repair charges but won't actually give any money back.

My brother is probably going to return his 335ic with only about 10000 miles on the 30000 lease. The car is an immaculate cream puff and I suggested that he sell it instead of returning it to see if he can get some money for all those unused miles. However, there's hardly much advantage left after you factor in the sales tax he has to pay to BMW to buyout the car, and then the next buyer would have to pay the sales tax again!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts