BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the exact car I wanted! Unfortunately, I ran into a new dilemma..

My intention was to buy a car in California but drive it back to school in Indiana. But, according to California laws, I MUST title it and register in the state of California ONLY, but I would not want to do that because I wouldn't be driving it here. I would want to register it and get insurance from Indiana, as it is massively cheaper and I would be able to keep my residency tuition (registering in California would mean I would have to declare residency in California, thus losing my Indiana residency).

The only solution (besides shipping it, but DEFEATS the purpose) is to ship the car to Las Vegas, because Nevada does not have ridiculous laws such as this. Apparently, the state of Oregon does not have sales tax, so people from Oregon would come over and purchase cars, thus avoiding paying sales tax as a whole (because they would register/title in Oregon NOT California) so they changed the laws to prevent this.

All the dealers I've talked with are being stingy as **** and are PLEADING me to ship the car to Indiana. Puh-leeze, I would just buy the damn car in Indiana...

I'm just utterly pissed right now..

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
SpeedKing9 said:
But, according to California laws, I MUST title it and register in the state of California ONLY, but I would not want to do that because I wouldn't be driving it here.
why buy in CA?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: Re: Damn California laws

JetBlack330i said:

why buy in CA?
Good question. California will likely be more expensive than Indiana, although you'll likely have fewer dealers to choose from in Indiana. Shipping to Indiana should cost you about $500 (not a lot).

If you buy it in Indiana, you might also get services from your local dealer, such as free loaner cars.

Also, all BMW's (as of right now) are 50-state legal, so emissions shouldn't be an issue if you plan to bring it back someday. This is going to change soon with BMW's next generation super ultra low emission vehicles, sold only in a few states, including California.

--gary

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Another reason to buy the car in Indiana- the sales tax is less. For now, it's 5% in Indiana (about to go up to 6%, but I'm not sure when) and about 8.25% in California. So right there, the car costs 3.25% more for getting it in California.

I moved from Los Angeles to Indiana. I know first hand that car insurance is MUCH less here (less than half) and registration, etc. is also much cheaper. I hated certain aspects of California such as the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. (Don't get me started.) I would not give them a single penny if I could avoid it. But I have no problem giving it to the state of Indiana. Here, the state's money is actually used for maintaining the roads, etc.- just like it should be. :thumbup:

I actually bought my car from a dealer in Chicago- got a better deal than Indiana. From that dealer, I got a temporary registration (10 days) and paid sales tax to Indiana when I registered the car. Did not pay sales tax to Illinois. Worked out just fine.

You could consider a temporary registration from California and then register and pay sales tax here. It might work.

Getting the car here sounds easier. And mroe gratifying to me.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Re: Re: Damn California laws

JetBlack330i said:

why buy in CA?
Ummm - b/c you can get them for much less money in CA than you can in the Midwest. $500 off sticker is a typical deal in Chicago b/c they can sell every car they are allocated at that price. The dealers in California (at least the few in the Orange County area that I have spoken with) typically work with an amount over invoice, not an amount off sticker. The difference can be pretty big.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could consider a temporary registration from California and then register and pay sales tax here. It might work.
According the California law, this is illegal. This was my initial intent, but the dealerships told me otherwise. My only choice was to ship it to Indiana or have the dealer relocate it to Las Vegas (out of the state and temporary registration is legal).

You MUST title/register the car in California, as long as you don't buy it privately.

Bullshit I say...I wish I knew about this before, because I had planned for months to drive back. Now I'm finding myself having to deal w/ a back up plan.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
OK, so no temperary registration in Cali.

Why do you have to buy it from a California dealer and then ship it to Vegas (or Indiana)? Why not just buy the car from the Vegas (or Indiana) dealer?

Maybe rent a car to drive to Indiana or fly. Then buy the car?

Just trying to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, let me clarify. I wanted to buy from a CA dealer because they had the exact car i wanted. I wouldn't ship the car from CA, but buy it from Las Vegas and have them bring it over from CA.

I don't need to rent/fly, I have the car that I would've traded in.

Thanks for trying to help though!

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
OK, I'll give it another try...

If you speak with a dealer in Indiana and tell them the exact car you want, they can check the inventory of the entire US. When they find your car in LA, they can get that car from the dealer. (They might have to do a swap of cars, but that's OK if they know they'll be getting a definite sale.) Then you just buy the car from the Indiana dealer and that's the end of the story. No extra charge for shipping it to the second dealer (I think).

And if it turns out there is another car somewhere in the US with your specifications, that's OK, too. They can get it from whereever else.

I think there are ways that dealers can hide their inventory cars from other dealers looking in the national system (claiming they are intended for a specific customer or something), but if the Indiana dealer is smart enough to look at this larger list of cars s/he should be able to locate it.

I think that should work...? :dunno:

·
Registered
738 Posts
JonW said:

If you speak with a dealer in Indiana and tell them the exact car you want, they can check the inventory of the entire US. When they find your car in LA, they can get that car from the dealer. (They might have to do a swap of cars, but that's OK if they know they'll be getting a definite sale.) Then you just buy the car from the Indiana dealer and that's the end of the story. No extra charge for shipping it to the second dealer (I think).

Well then, who pays the shipping company?? :)

You are not going to find any dealer willing to swap cars across the country, it just doesn't happen. They only time they will swap that far away is for a car that is still modifiable and can be transfered electronically before it is shipped.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
DrBimmer said:

You are not going to find any dealer willing to swap cars across the country, it just doesn't happen. They only time they will swap that far away is for a car that is still modifiable and can be transfered electronically before it is shipped.
Oh well, it was a thought. I've heard of many dealers swapping cars around 500 miles apart. Didn't know that it doesn't work on the order of 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
In reply to the "who pays the shipping" question...

Don't know if I was had but the car I wanted was in Boulder, CO,annd I am in LA. Out of three dealers and my credit union they all told me I would have to foot the bill for the swap - about $600. So I ate it and got what I wanted!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts