BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the exact car I wanted! Unfortunately, I ran into a new dilemma..

My intention was to buy a car in California but drive it back to school in Indiana. But, according to California laws, I MUST title it and register in the state of California ONLY, but I would not want to do that because I wouldn't be driving it here. I would want to register it and get insurance from Indiana, as it is massively cheaper and I would be able to keep my residency tuition (registering in California would mean I would have to declare residency in California, thus losing my Indiana residency).

The only solution (besides shipping it, but DEFEATS the purpose) is to ship the car to Las Vegas, because Nevada does not have ridiculous laws such as this. Apparently, the state of Oregon does not have sales tax, so people from Oregon would come over and purchase cars, thus avoiding paying sales tax as a whole (because they would register/title in Oregon NOT California) so they changed the laws to prevent this.

All the dealers I've talked with are being stingy as **** and are PLEADING me to ship the car to Indiana. Puh-leeze, I would just buy the damn car in Indiana...

I'm just utterly pissed right now..

Anyone know of a "loophole" --?

·
Tree Stalker
1,753 Posts
Something doesn't make sense here. According to what you've said, no one can buy a car in California and then move to another state -- where registration would be required.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Apparently, the state of Oregon does not have sales tax, so people from Oregon would come over and purchase cars, thus avoiding paying sales tax as a whole (because they would register/title in Oregon NOT California) so they changed the laws to prevent this.
I am sorry, but that doesn't make sense. You make it sound like there are no BMW dealers in Oregon. I know this not to be true. So, why does someone need to travel from Oregon to CA to buy a BMW just to avoid sales tax? Seems to me that someone in Oregon who doesn't want to pay sales tax would simply buy the car in Oregon. In case you are thinking that the dealers suck in Oregon, then these people would probably go to Seattle to buy a BMW, which is much closer than the nearest BMW dealer in No. Cal. Additionally, OR only has like 3 million people in it, almost all of which live in the Portland area. I think lawmakers in CA are not concerned with such a trivial amount of people considering that CA has about 15X the amount of people in the state. The law has to be directed at Californians, not Oregonians.

The more likely scenario is that people from CA are going to OR to buy cars or they are buying cars in CA using an OR address to avoid paying sales tax, it has nothing to do with Oregonians crossing into CA to buy cars. However, I can't say that I see a lot of Oregon plates in CA, nor did I in the past. Nothing unusual, anyway. I do see a fair amount of NV plates in So. Cal., though.

I think you got some bad info on the cause of the registration law in CA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts