Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you probably know me on here for my Twin Turbo E61: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908702&highlight=

I picked up an E39 touring to use as a temporary "beater" while the e61 undergoes some repairs. At the time of this initial post I have had the E39 for 5 months and it has received a tone of obligatory maintenance and a few choice modifications to reflect my automotive style.

The plan is to keep this thing reliable and and the driving dynamics solid, buuuuuuuut when the auto trans bites the dust it will probably receive a manual trans. I mean; a manual V8 E39 wagon? It's the obvious choice and considering BMW never imported and manual V8 wagons there is a strong case to make in terms of "value" that the swp will add to the wagon.

I will stop the predictions there because my old E39 M5 and E61 were both picked up to be relative "beaters" or remain mostly stock and we know how that turned out so who knows what is in store for this E39 but I can guarantee it will be clean and functional.

Evan

Here it is the day I picked it up: 2001 540iT 127,000 miles. Black on Beige, Auto Trans, Non-sport, Cold Weather Package, No Nav, Optional 3.15 differential

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here we go....

Rear wiper delete

Lucked out and found a E39 Touring at the local salvage yard, pulled the Black OEM window trim

It needed some refurbishing

BEFORE

AFTER

Dead pedal was broken, beige swapped to black

Rear bumper was out of alignment

BEFORE/AFTER

Removed all impact trim and Dipped the chrome black

Smoked side indicators

Engine Bay

Intensive reservoir was a mess

Deleted the system and removed the mess

Replaced and rerouted some vac lines to clean up the aesthetics.

Junkyard score

Replaced damaged arm rest

Gutted

Mostly converted

Muffler delete

Valve covers were in rough shape

Decided to replace gaskets for the front upper timing chain covers

Back together

New oil filter mounts and steering fluid reservoir gasket

Windshield surround was disintegrated

Removed

Replaced

Cowl was replaced too

Installed an EZ-LIP

Shifter and console trim was damaged

KW V1, 72.56 hub conversion, new top mounts, and wheel studs

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM Style 167

Black kidney grills

Front plate mount delete

Black oem all weather mats

Coilovers going in

74.1mm to 72.56mm

Time for the rears

Coding the ride height via INPA

Need new tires to get the ride height dialed

Oil Change

monochromatic roundels

Gauge cluster rings

Wheel swap just for fun

I guess you can say the transmission mounts were "worn"

As were the engine mounts, lol

New roundel for the front

Monochromatic of course

Suspension rebuild

OLD/NEW

Fenders rolled

Headlights

Lexus RX AFS projectors (custom curved shields and E30 clear lenses) were retrofitted, Osram CBI bulbs, OEM Hella ballasts were "boosted' from 35w to 43w.
Angel eyes disconnected and rings frosted, high beam bezel blacked out. New lenses

Output

Hmmmmm

Current look

Another salvage yard score

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remaining cargo area trim, dash trim, and some other goodies

Trim swap

Repaired hood release

Another salvage yard run, more black interior trim, M sport steering wheel, weather stripping

Vanity plate arrived

LED reverse lights

Executing LED projector fog light retroofit

Top: OEM halogen
BOTTOM: LED Projector

L: LED
R: OEM

Tires went from the original (came on the M6 wheels) 255/35F 285/35R to 245/40F and 265/35R MUCH better for ride and fitment

Bright lights, no glare

New rear hatch and glass struts

Toying with the idea of mounting some of these Viper ACR diffuser fins

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M5 style mirrors

LED license plate and puddle lights

A better look at the cargo area conversion

I deleted the front wipers so I applied some ceramic coating to keep it slick

With her washed up I took some pics, much better with the M5 mirrors and some proper fitment

...on to the next...
new subframe bushings, can you tell which one is new?

New differential bushings, Meyle HD for the rears and billet for the front

Took the opportunity to black out the muffler delete

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Why would you delete the rear wiper? It comes in handy because the rear glass gets dirty very quick.

Sent from the moon

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I like what you are doing with it keep up the good work!

Sent from the moon

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the subframe bushings and other "guiding" suspension components replaced and the suspension finally locked in place I got another 4 wheel alignment done.

Here is a better pic of the blacked out exhaust installed.

Thought about it, the Rigid Duallys would fit with some work and look pretty slick but I am not sure it is worth the effort stuffing them into the small tail lights and then running a relay harness through the tailgate and into the rear cargo area. I will probably end up mounting a small LED light bar by the differential like I did on my E61, better output and much easier to do.

My bumper impact strips were originally gloss black with small chrome strips and after taking possession of the wagon I Plasti Dipped the chrome but left the rest as-is. I then received an OEM front middle impact strip (license plate delete) which was primed and unpainted, to help blend it in it was also Plasti Dipped. To bring some consistency to the trim the remaining gloss black was plasti-dipped so now all the bumper impact strips are identical and resemble the matte finish of the factory M-sport trim. As a bonus the Dip is hiding some blemishes on the original trim and helps hide the PDC sensors.

Here you can see on the bottom the front middle impact strip which was already plasti dipped just next to 2 other strips prior to dipping.

AFTER

I decided to follow through with the small diffuser project I was thinking about. At first I was hesitant because I wasn't going to be able to build it in an ideal manner, with the exhaust on once side the spare tire well is offset and consequently there is limited space to mount fins. 5 fins would be ideal but given the restraints I could only use 3, not ideal but it will be a nice opportunity to test of the look and see if it is something I like.

The goal of this is to "fill" some of the space under the rear bumper to visually make the rear end to look lower. This isn't for winning races or tracking straight on the Bonneville salt flats, this is a experimental and creative aesthetic modification. Time will tell if I like it or not, if I do then I might reconsider finsing a solution to mount 2 more fins.

I wanted to keep this diffuser subtle and tasteful, so many homemade diffusers are over the top, attention-grabbing, stick out excessively, and downright look wildly out of place on most cars, not my cup of tea but to each their own. I matched the angle of the fins to the taper of the bumper the best I could to make this look as possible.

Mounted up with stainless hardware

You can see there is no room on the driverside to add another fin due to the cavity where the oem mufflers were.

I plan to get some black mounting hardware to blend it in better with the fins.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is it 5 speed yet?
Currently slush box but on the horizon a 6-spd swap is highly likely. I love manuals and they seem to boost value given the unique wagon+V8+Manual combo considering BMW never imported them. I have also swapped my E61 from AT to MT so having one swap under my belt should make the second relatively smooth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some more pics of the diffuser, I like it I don't love it. It fulfills my goals of visually "filling" the space under the rear bumper but I wish there were 5 fins total and they were about 12" longer and reached further towards the rear wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
GOALS!!!!
I just picked up a 2002 E39 540iT as a "beater" or rather "dog" (we currently have 6 rescue dogs) car. Lot's of great ideas for upgrades. Most of my first upgrades will be to protect the interior of the car from the dogs. Some of them get get pretty fiesty defending their turf/car. One actually smashed a windshield from the inside with his block-head while defending his car (an older car, now deceased)from someone walking by. LOL!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of you probably know me on here for my Twin Turbo E61: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908702&highlight=

I picked up an E39 touring to use as a temporary "beater" while the e61 undergoes some repairs. At the time of this initial post I have had the E39 for 5 months and it has received a tone of obligatory maintenance and a few choice modifications to reflect my automotive style.

The plan is to keep this thing reliable and and the driving dynamics solid, buuuuuuuut when the auto trans bites the dust it will probably receive a manual trans. I mean; a manual V8 E39 wagon? It's the obvious choice and considering BMW never imported and manual V8 wagons there is a strong case to make in terms of "value" that the swp will add to the wagon.

I will stop the predictions there because my old E39 M5 and E61 were both picked up to be relative "beaters" or remain mostly stock and we know how that turned out so who knows what is in store for this E39 but I can guarantee it will be clean and functional.

Evan

Here it is the day I picked it up: 2001 540iT 127,000 miles. Black on Beige, Auto Trans, Non-sport, Cold Weather Package, No Nav, Optional 3.15 differential

Looks mint

Sendt fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 med Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those bushings look disintegrated...
Giggity though. Sub'd.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GOALS!!!!
I just picked up a 2002 E39 540iT as a "beater" or rather "dog" (we currently have 6 rescue dogs) car. Lot's of great ideas for upgrades. Most of my first upgrades will be to protect the interior of the car from the dogs. Some of them get get pretty fiesty defending their turf/car. One actually smashed a windshield from the inside with his block-head while defending his car (an older car, now deceased)from someone walking by. LOL!!!
Wow! 6 dogs! I have my hands full with our Australian Shepard! You should build a custom cargo cover out of a camping tarp or something that would be easy to clean, you could mount some magnets in the cargo area (under the window behind the C-pillar) and put some magnets in the tarp/blanket so it can snap into place and easily be removed for cleaning.
Looks mint
It is getting there.
Those bushings look disintegrated...
Giggity though. Sub'd.
They certainly felt like it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not pictured: I tracked down a Business CD player with the right production year AND the right software to support an AUX-IN. Unfortunately my small Bluetooth card doesn't trigger the Aux in feature and the cable needs to be physically plugged in. Nice to have the Aux working but wish the BT was also functional, cords are so last decade. I also need some more bass, stock sub is a joke.

Through the magic of Craigslist I found a 740i being parted out 30 minutes away from me. It was a manual car with sports package and a VF supercharger on it. Neat build. Anyway, I finally got some beige contour sport seats.

The 740i had ~175,000 miles on it and the driverseat has some typical wear with light cracking and a deformed thigh bolster. Passenger seat is pretty minty. Both cleaned up well with a horse hair brush, some leather cleaner, and elbow grease. Leather was moisturized and buffed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With my Aux in now working it became wildly apparent the stock subwoofer is almost non-existent and this is NOT OK as I listen to bass music.

I originally was going to mod the stock enclosure to accept a shallow 8" woofer but I reconsidered as I wasn't confidence that would give me the results I was really after so I went down the rabbit hole and ended up what I consider to be a quality sub setup.

Sundown SD-3 10"
Basser E39 Touring Enclosure
JBL MS-A5001
Scosche LOC

Pretty excited to give the Sundown a go. The performance should be pretty impressive and after some poly fill is added to the enclosure the "mimicked" sealed volume should be about perfect at .5 cu/ft.

The JBL MS-A5001 also has some nice features with a strong output; 500w rms at both 4ohm and 2 ohm, integrated DSP, and a small footprint. 500w @ 4ohm should do the Sundown right.

Here are some goodies, sub and box are on the way.

Pre install

LOC installed

Amp installed, I used some hardware to mount it "floating" over the stock amp.

Tapped power from the distribution block, fuse mounted with some 3M VHB, module relocated with zip ties in anticipation for the sub enclosure

Amp wired up

Ran wires parallel with oem wiring

Ready for the sub and enclosure!

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Very nice! Lots of work.

I love how your Australian Shepard seems to be judging you in every shot!

I dig the lighting updates. Do you have more info on the LED fog lights? I want to do something similar (or exactly the same).
I replaced my angel eyes with COB 131mm LED angel eye rings from eBay, and I'm pretty happy. Also did Hella G4/EvoX-R 2.0 bixenons w/ new bulbs, and new lenses and the output is insane. I'd like to do the Hella boosting as well. Did you DIY that?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts