Bimmerfest BMW banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Learning Every Day
639 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. As for the headlights the first things to address are 1. Headlight aim and 2. New HID bulbs.
Noted! :)
First off, you're welcome. Great work!

As to your reply, that brings me to two questions:

1) I've got the aim dialed in pretty well, but I'd like to try your method. Do you suggest measuring from the center of the bulb to set my benchmark for height or from somewhere else?

2) As for the bulbs, I've run a quick search, and there seems to be a myriad of choices: 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, etc. I feel like I'm driving with the parking lights on right now (maybe not quite that bad, but not far from it). I've always liked my lights VERY bright. Which way do you suggest? I like Phillips lighting and found this on a quick FeeBay search, but will go to Amazon to place my order:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-New-HID-Xenon-Philips-6000K-D2S-OEM-Headlight-Bulb-BMW-X5-E46-E39-E38-E60-E65/232441940451?epid=1590793176&hash=item361e9e89e3:g:0msAAOSwO7haMH-m:rk:2:pf:0

Thank you again! Sam

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Das Vadr is still in a holding pattern while the grey one (Das Grau) gets all the love but a 6MT and engine refresh will be worth the wait.

But wait, there's more! Unbroken cupholders!

Full House!

·
Learning Every Day
639 Posts
That's a GOOD LOOKIN' house!!! I don't care what anyone says; that's a good lookin' house!!!!!!!!!

·
4th BMW
473 Posts
My wagon is a July 2002. No way the outer lense pulls off :(

Just swapped my original working low bulbs for CBI's. Still not satisfied....

·
4th BMW
473 Posts
I went with 66240 CBI - 5500K

Noticable difference in light but my adjusters are screwd and I have the lamps tie-stripped to approximate correct alignment. What I need is a new lamp unit to utilize my HID 35 watt power and my bulbs. High bean Halogens throw good light. New facelift Hella's ar pricy.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Noticable difference in light but my adjusters are screwd and I have the lamps tie-stripped to approximate correct alignment. What I need is a new lamp unit to utilize my HID 35 watt power and my bulbs. High bean Halogens throw good light. New facelift Hella's ar pricy.
Sounds like you know what you need to do.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
As my other E61 wagons have been getting a lot of major work done progress on Vadr has been slow but steady. I am really pleased with where the build is at and excited to get a manual in this thing since it will completely change the character of the wagon.

The build is nearing completion and there is only a handful of major items to address before this thing goes up for sale.

- Timing chain guide/vanos refresh
- Manual swap
- Replace hood
- Replace windshield
- Recondition E38 comfort seats
- Install refinished M Parallel wheels

New aftermarket pork chops.

Found a nice deal on some E38 M parallels, they are currently being professionally repaired and powder coated Porsche Silver, I have a set of Hankook V12s, new valve stems, and new "M" stickers waiting in the garage for them. These will go on the E39 and the Style 167s will go over to the grey E61.

They fit like a glove in the cargo area.

If it clears, it clears!

New NGK plugs

During some spirited driving the main coolant hose cracked

During some musical wheels I decided to throw the 20" vossens on the E39. The rears looks sick but it would be challenging to stop them from rubbing.

Junkyard dayz! Picked up some missing black interior pieces and also scored an M60 intake manifold, it was already removed from the engine all I had to do was remove the throttle body.

Lower seat rail trim

E38 comfort seat backs needed some love

Some love they received. Pseudo fixed the sagging map pockets by screwing them into the "closed" position. Cleaned and conditioned leather.

Rail trim installed

Seatbacks installed

Replaced missing valve cover cover bolt cover. lol

As you might have seen in earlier photos Vadr was filthy and since there was finally no rain in the forecast it was time for a wash.

.....and you know what that means, some fancy photos where I take into consideration backgrounds, lighting, and making sure my iphone lens is clean. Heck I even installed tire treatment.

Shifter boot photo bomb

The hood has got to go

·
Registered
478 Posts
I’ll ask before someone else does...and I know they will...

Where did you get the aftermarket porkchops, do they fit the M-Sport trim, and how much were they?

:)

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Got the family together for some pics. The black one, the grey one, and the fast one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Refreshed some OEM center caps (the top set)
Before

After

OEM Style 37s, E38 fitment which mean 72.56 and also a 9.5" rear as opposed to the usual 9" on the E39 which allows for E39 M5 spec tires on the M Parallels. Professionally refinished and powdercoated in "Porsche Silver." The BMW silver had a too much metallic flake in it, the Porsche is a sharper color with a metal like satin finish. No clear coat. 245/40 275/35 Hankook V12s.

Changing of the guard

Style 37s always looking sharp

Cleaned up the M60 intake manifold

New OEM lower seat trims and cargo trim pieces.

Before

After

Before

After

·
4th BMW
473 Posts
Yow, You really get after it !

I seem to recall using extreme force on those bolts/ nuts you mention above..I ordered new nuts and had to use a breaker bar and jack handle -extension over it AND my leg to loosen the bolts. It wasn't until I had the rubber out of the car that I could see the hairline cracks around each bolt hole rubber 'mound' (see in pic if you blow up). Results were noticeable with the new auto-trans bushing.
Thx for the updates...interesting project(s). The OEM German parts works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Amazing build journal and the Wagon looks great. Not a fan of the Beige interiors though....Black would look more "Vader" :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Niiice!!! I got an e39 last year and am currently working on it. This was/is a nice build. Any updates on it since the last post?

·
4th BMW
473 Posts
Nice seat job...

i have a new BMW drivers seat foam I need to install. Just replaced calipers and did the rotors/ pads..new throttle body

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Black would look more "Vader" :)
True but deep inside Vader is a soft old man at heart and loves some beige on his booty.
Love the work you've done! How's the budget bushing/ control arm kityou installed holding up?
So far just fine but I am not putting many miles on this thing.
Very Niiice!!! I got an e39 last year and am currently working on it. This was/is a nice build. Any updates on it since the last post?
Lot's of good stuff is about to happen. Manual swap, M5 steering box, Vanos, timing chains, Zionsville cooling system, etc.

I plan on filming the rest of the build too.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts