Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
car: 2003 BMW 540i E39 94Kmi -new battery in last 3 mos.

Problem: lower dash display is blank - no oil usage, OBC display, no odometer, trip, etc .
buttons on display don't work. Gas gauge at zero, no tach reading. Pixels were good when last readable.

background info: car wouldn't start or cranked very slowly after about 3ea 10 mile trips in cold weather. solution: found loose battery neg lead, tightened. Car now starts but now have dash display issue. Dash display was replaced in the past before I owned the car, and I assume was coded to the car. If I disconnect the battery for the 10 minutes to get it to reset, will I have to take it to the dealer to have it re-coded? I had to do this for the MID radio display when it went blank - shut off after 5 minutes.

Is there a solution for re-coding used part into the OBC, other than the dealer?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
10 minutes is not enough, open your boot, wait 16 minutes for the car to go to sleep, then disconnect the battery.
No re-coding is necessary. Newer cars may need this, not the e39. Throw in a new battery, put terminals on, drive, thats it.
have you got a code reader?
You can code your new parts yourself, just search...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dash Display problem - solved

I removed the battery + cable for about 5 min. and reinstalled the cable. Everything is now back to normal. I was not sure about losing the coding for previously replaced items.

Reply to 528iAut: I have a Bosch OBDII reader, but I do not recall anything about being able to re-code new/different parts that are being replaced in its menu. What reader tool are you using? I have read on the forum about CARLY and INPA but still researching what additional tool to get for in depth monitoring and re-coding.

Don B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts