BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 328is. I use it as a daily and a track car for my son at d/e's. My fan clutch went out. My wife was driving the car and she thinks red lights on the dash are Christmas decorations.......
So after we put the new head on we installed the Bimmerworld fan delete kit. I also have an aluminum radiator that I got for Bimmerworld. I would like to install an electric fan but would like to have an on/off switch on the dash. I plan to rout it to the left side and use the extra switch location next to the dimmer switch. I need to find a switch that will fit in there. Are any of our switches on/off or does anyone know of what would work in this panel? Will an A M switch work as an on off.

An ASC switch?

Window defroster switch?

A square fog light switch?

Thanks for any help!

Jay

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cobra replica is wired that way. For to and from work the fan delete kit should suffice. On the track, I have a pretty specific routine, I see a checkered flag, mirrors, throttle, Accusump, and fans. I would like to be able to have the same set up on the Bimmer. The switch also allows you to instantly verify the your fan is working and in the event the sensor is not will still cool the car. Bottom line is there is going to be a switch so I still am looking for info. Plus fans are cheep when you destroy a head, you become a little anal. lol

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
^ Good thinkin. No gawdy chrome toggle you find at autozone. As far as wiring goes, your not going to run the main power wire through the switch, are you?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was. That is why I am looking for something with high amps. The fan draws less than 10 so I was hoping to find something north of 15 amps. I can get a toggle at the local parts store if necessary but was looking at my options. I do not believe the seat switch is what I need. I need a single pull single throw, like a fog light, asc, and I think some of the older 4 way switches might fit. I think I can use something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1456wt_757

Just checking on fitment and I believe it is high enough on the amps to do without a relay

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
I was. That is why I am looking for something with high amps. The fan draws less than 10 so I was hoping to find something north of 15 amps. I can get a toggle at the local parts store if necessary but was looking at my options. I do not believe the seat switch is what I need. I need a single pull single throw, like a fog light, asc, and I think some of the older 4 way switches might fit. I think I can use something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1456wt_757

Just checking on fitment and I believe it is high enough on the amps to do without a relay
I dont think that will fit in the blanks in front of the shifter. Id just run a relay; despite the fan being less than 10 amps, you'll have to use a fairly large gauge wire because of the distance you'll be running the wire. I just wired an aux fan in, except instead of a switch I tapped the blue wire on the OEM fan for a signal. You could just tap a hot connection and run the switch hot, and just ground at the relay. Dunno if you wanna do it that way, but Im happy with my setup

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I thought it might be too big also. I found a fog light switch that I have coming. If the does not work I will use an ASC switch and a relay.

·
blank
1,614 Posts
For what it's worth, the asc switch is to large to fit in properly beside the dimmer switch. There is a bracket behind the hole and the switch hits it and won't sit flush. Now, you could probably trim it and make it fit, but I haven't figured out how to wire it properly to make it function to run my aux fan. Currently, I have a toggle hidden in the glovebox, but would really like to get this (or any other oem switch wired properly out in the cockpit. So if anyone has any info on that and would like to share it would be greatly appreciated :)

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
For what it's worth, the asc switch is to large to fit in properly beside the dimmer switch. There is a bracket behind the hole and the switch hits it and won't sit flush. Now, you could probably trim it and make it fit, but I haven't figured out how to wire it properly to make it function to run my aux fan. Currently, I have a toggle hidden in the glovebox, but would really like to get this (or any other oem switch wired properly out in the cockpit. So if anyone has any info on that and would like to share it would be greatly appreciated :)
Wire with a relay. Heres what it will look like (assuming the ASC switch is a two prong on/off switch with two prongs for the lights inside the switch)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a couple of switches coming thanks to ebay and we will see what we can come up with. I have the cover out and it appears that there is about 2 inches of depth before you hit the bracket. Out of curiosity, what switch does go there. I have pretty much resigned myself that I will need to wire a relay. the more I looked at it it is no big deal, but mostly because anything I have found so far does not have wire capable of carrying the amps.

Switches I have coming are an ASC with pigtail and an old fog light switch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...328644&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1359wt_754

The connectors on the fog light switch lead me to believe this might work if I can make it fit.

Other options are that I do have the current ASC switch location that I could use and there is an open space in that console for another switch so I am assuming that one would fit there. I think I can do without this since I installed an LSD last year.

The plate on the dash popped right out. Are the ones but the console the same type? 14 years of grime and misuse probably have this thin in like glue.

Fan and other misc crap should be here this week. Plane to do this weekend.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
Run a circut that both powers the fan with the stock sensor, and has the option of turning it on when you want it. This is how i wired my e30, its nerdy and a little complicated.. shoot me PM if you cant figure it out.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes to the aiming switch, found that out on another thread. I can always bust out the Dremel ti make a switch fit. Waiting for my stuff to arrive and go from there. Also to PHILLIPWOT I played with the seat heater switch yesterday. It appears that it does have an on/off function. I was unaware of that so good call on that. I will have to bust out the meter to figure out what does what. The "D" I got in high school electronics is coming back to haunt me!

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Yes to the aiming switch, found that out on another thread. I can always bust out the Dremel ti make a switch fit.
A couple, quick saw cuts into the flange of the U.S. knee protection panel, and a few whacks with a hammer should bend back the flange and stop it from interfering with the headlight range control, or probably whatever other control you install in that position. Please note, however, how the geometry of those two slots is slightly different from the five across the center console. You may need to add a couple bumps to a control meant for the center console, to keep it from wobbling out.

If you are really keen on your project and want to add refinements beyond those from the factory, I once helped a fellow add a post driving run, cool down timer to his Z3M. I bet I could get the same controller to do that for your car and control the fan during a race.

I'm working on a similar control project for my car and have a friend who will be preparing his race car for the coming season. I might be able to combine your project with ours, if I can accomodate some other projects with higher priority.

BTW, I plan to use a center console, E36 ASC switch as a indicating control. Here I light the button with an internal, surface mount LED:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info and offer John. I think I will be okay with what I have. My fan showed up yesterday along with the two switches I bought. I have a spare battery laying around so I am going to test wire and take some readings on the amps. I have a fog light switch that looks to be able to do the job. It is as tall as the ASC switch but I need to widen the slot by about 1/8 inch to get it to fit. My ASC switch came with the pigtail.

Off the top of your head, you don't happen to have the to know which wire is which do you?

If not I will bust out the Bentley.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ASC. I have the pigtail on that one and I have the following:

solid brown

gray with red stripe

gray with black stripe

black with gray dashes

black with yellow strip and gray dashes

red with blue stripe and yellow dashes

stripe run the length of the wires dashes are across.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts