BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there guys,
I am new to these forums and a new BMW owner in general.
I have driven a number of BMWs but never owned one before.
so recently I have got myself a 2nd hand BMW 535i GT (F07) 2011 and I like it!

Now,
The thing is that this car doesn't have navigation, but the previous owner, it seems, has installed an MMI with a mirroring solution, also, it seems that there is a touch screen layer on top of the iDrive screen and perhaps an Android box connected to the MMI. (I can see an aftermarket GPS antenna and a DVBT antenna).
Moreover there are aftermarket screens on the back of the rear seats for the passengers.

BUT none of the above works.

I have tried switching to the android system by holding the NAV button for a few seconds (3,5,10), and nothing, then tried holding the menu button, and then tried all the buttons but to no avail.

Now, I have read quite a lot on the forums and thought that I guess I have to take out the headunit and see what goes on back there.

Perhaps it lost power? disconnected?

Anyway,
I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find a tutorial that shows how to remove the headunit, or even the dash trims.
The F07, unlike the F10, has a bit of a "different" interior (with that additional storage compartment for example).

Could you guys please help with that?

I have the version with the ambient light if that matters.

I have tried following some F10 videos where they take it all out in 1 min 30 seconds sharp but I couldn't even take off the trim.

I have a VW Passat and I did a handful of retrofits on it, but that's the first one on the BMW.

Sorry about the long post guys and thank you!

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
The wood trim pulls off the same way for the F01, start from passenger side, the clips are quite sturdy so it takes some force (first clip is located under the passenger vent). I suggest trim tool if you don't already own some as it is easy to scratch up the trim with too hard a tool. FYI, our vehicles have slightly more in common with the 7 series than the 5 series. I'm unsure if you have full access to the info screen via only removing the wood trim, but once the trim is removed you should be able to solve that conundrum, if you're also trying to remove the info screen. IIRC you need to remove the IHKA panel to access the head unit for removal, here is a thread that includes the radio/AC panel removal process.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893513

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wood trim pulls off the same way for the F01, start from passenger side, the clips are quite sturdy so it takes some force (first clip is located under the passenger vent). I suggest trim tool if you don't already own some as it is easy to scratch up the trim with too hard a tool. FYI, our vehicles have slightly more in common with the 7 series than the 5 series. I'm unsure if you have full access to the info screen via only removing the wood trim, but once the trim is removed you should be able to solve that conundrum, if you're also trying to remove the info screen. IIRC you need to remove the IHKA panel to access the head unit for removal, here is a thread that includes the radio/AC panel removal process.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893513
Thank you very much for the answer!
Actually I do have a trim tool and tried prying up the wooden trim but with no success.
I suppose I was just a bit scared to apply force there.

And yes, the trim is just the first step, it seems that indeed I will have to remove the IHKA panel to get to the relevant parts to get this sorted out.

Thanks for the link, I will try again this coming weekend and report back on my findings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's the promised update (albeit with a slight delay).

So I have managed to remove all the trims and surprisingly it's a lot easier than expected (once you get the hang of it, that is).
I have found the MMI box and it seems that it is wired just fine, although it doesn't work what so ever.

The android box that's connected to it is entirely missing and the wires that were connected to it (such as the power, GPS antenna, etc.) are just hanging there, as it was just ripped out of place.
That's kinda weird.

I guess I will just have to get a new MMI and an android box to get this working again.

The only issue I have faced is with the glovebox, I had to remove it as well in order to get to the MMI box, but then when I have reinstalled it all back something happened with that arm on it.
It now won't open the glovebox, in a sense that when I unlock the glovebox it just stays open a bit and won't fall down slowly like it should, but rather stays up.
and the light doesn't turn on either.

Do you have any idea what could be the issue with the thing?
Is there any "secret" to it?

Edit:
Part number: 51169142637 (Glove box damper / absorber is the official name :) )

Here's the photo of that part:

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
Yikes, that's unfortunate about the MMI and Android wiring fiasco.

Is that an electrical harness connection on the left hand side in the picture?

By your description of the light and damper not working as expected, I would go back and double check that I have fully connected the electrical harnesses for both the light and the damper. Also, verify that you have rotated the damper so it is seated correctly as per directions attached (in reverse actually as these are disassembly instructions). If that doesn't resolve the issue it sounds as though you may have a "confused" vehicle and I imagine Rheingold would have a reset procedure so that the vehicle can re-establish matching the status of the glovebox to what it thinks it is versus actual. (this last sentence is conjecture as I have not experienced, heard, or tried to connect the car to see if there is a reset procedure)

If you don't have Rheingold, you can request on this thread for a link to download. You will also need a ENET cable, I bought mine quite a while ago so don't remember where it was, but I searched the Coding and Programming forum. I have a suspicion that the folks in that section of Bimmerfest will be very helpful to you if you want to get everything operating on this project.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes, that's unfortunate about the MMI and Android wiring fiasco.

Is that an electrical harness connection on the left hand side in the picture?

By your description of the light and damper not working as expected, I would go back and double check that I have fully connected the electrical harnesses for both the light and the damper. Also, verify that you have rotated the damper so it is seated correctly as per directions attached (in reverse actually as these are disassembly instructions). If that doesn't resolve the issue it sounds as though you may have a "confused" vehicle and I imagine Rheingold would have a reset procedure so that the vehicle can re-establish matching the status of the glovebox to what it thinks it is versus actual. (this last sentence is conjecture as I have not experienced, heard, or tried to connect the car to see if there is a reset procedure)

If you don't have Rheingold, you can request on this thread for a link to download. You will also need a ENET cable, I bought mine quite a while ago so don't remember where it was, but I searched the Coding and Programming forum. I have a suspicion that the folks in that section of Bimmerfest will be very helpful to you if you want to get everything operating on this project.

Hope that helps!
Thank you daders,
Yes, it is the electrical harness connected to it.
I have just noticed today that the light does work, but the glovebox itself still doesn't drop as it should.

I believe that I have placed it correctly, but I guess I will have to go ahead and remove the glovebox again.

Do you have any idea how does this damper work? is it electrical?

btw, is there any chance that you have the "correct" instructions on how to remove the right glovebox (I see that there is a link to it, in the directions that you have attached).

Also, where did you get these instructions from?
I know that for VW/Audi/Seat you have ETKA for part numbers and ELSA for the repair/disassembly instructions (electronic service manual essentially).
What are the equivalents in the BMW world?

Is the glovebox actually connected to the car's computer?
This is the first time I hear about this, and it is pretty impressive actually.

Regarding Rheingold, I don't have it yet, but have just posted on the thread you mentioned to get a link to it. (That's the ISTA+ that everyone asks for, right?)
I did get E-Sys actually (didn't get to use it yet, though), what is the difference between these two tools?

Regarding the ENET cable, I have actually got one from the guys at BMCoding.

oh yeah, the guys at the Coding and Programming forum seem to be real professionals :)
I do want to get this car to a fully working state as it's quite a nice one actually :)
(I also want to get myself a couple of retrofits such as surround view and blind spot assist, but perhaps I might get a workshop to do these for me as they are quite time consuming, it seems)

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
Thank you daders,
Yes, it is the electrical harness connected to it.
I have just noticed today that the light does work, but the glovebox itself still doesn't drop as it should.

I believe that I have placed it correctly, but I guess I will have to go ahead and remove the glovebox again.

Do you have any idea how does this damper work? is it electrical?
I do not know. I can only assume the electrical connection is to communicate open/close values to the vehicle rather than the old style switch in the latching mechanism (i.e. like the light in your fridge)

btw, is there any chance that you have the "correct" instructions on how to remove the right glovebox (I see that there is a link to it, in the directions that you have attached).
pdf attached, please review the whole document prior to following (begin with page 8 and the order of the pdf should make more sense) as I included steps that you will not need for your task, but were associated with the job (once you get Rheingold you will have these instructions). Brief description of organization:

Page 8, it is the first page of glove box removal, page 4 is the preliminary step as per page 8.

Pages 2&3 are not needed for what you are requesting, however I included them since they were associated.

Additionally, I don't believe you need page 6, but just in case.

I believe you have to perform the step on page 5 as per instructions on page 7.

Pages 11 & 12 are associated with the damper.

Also, where did you get these instructions from?
I know that for VW/Audi/Seat you have ETKA for part numbers and ELSA for the repair/disassembly instructions (electronic service manual essentially).
What are the equivalents in the BMW world?
Is the glovebox actually connected to the car's computer?
This is the first time I hear about this, and it is pretty impressive actually.
Regarding Rheingold, I don't have it yet, but have just posted on the thread you mentioned to get a link to it. (That's the ISTA+ that everyone asks for, right?)
I did get E-Sys actually (didn't get to use it yet, though), what is the difference between these two tools?
This is my understanding (I have only used Rheingold so am not 100% certain of whether my details are correct regarding adding a feature below using E-Sys)
Rheingold (ISTA-D) reads fault codes and will provide procedures and instructions towards resolving the faults. E-Sys is what the coders use to change factory preset parameters (i.e. fold mirrors when ignition switched off) as well as when someone wants to add a feature or replace a component (i.e. iDrive unit)...however, if you peruse that forum you will notice adding a new feature (i.e. an option not installed at the factory) is not always feasible because of the need of an FSC code.

Regarding the ENET cable, I have actually got one from the guys at BMCoding.

oh yeah, the guys at the Coding and Programming forum seem to be real professionals :)
I do want to get this car to a fully working state as it's quite a nice one actually :)
(I also want to get myself a couple of retrofits such as surround view and blind spot assist, but perhaps I might get a workshop to do these for me as they are quite time consuming, it seems)
Yes, they are impressive. Blind spot assist will be quite expensive as you will need to buy the hardware (radar units that install behind rear wheel bumper, mirrors with blind-spot assist indicator) and then it's not necessarily a guarantee it will work due to the build "code" of the car (that is where the coding forum will be able to guide you on capabilities).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi daders,
Thank you once again for the super detailed and helpful post!
(I am sorry I am responding so late, I didn't get a chance to reply any earlier).

I have downloaded Rheingold just recently (it took longer than I expected, due to the file size and MEGA's download limitation), and now I have to figure out how to free up some space to get it installed (it's HUGE! :) )

I am impressed with the detailed instructions in the PDF!
Now, about the damper, it seems that I have pretty much placed it correctly, I guess I will have to actually go ahead and take a look again...

Regarding the blind spot assist, I have actually contacted a local workshop here that seems to have experience with BMWs (they actually do have some impressive BMWs parked there), and they said that they can install blind spot assist and the surround view cameras on the F07).
I wanted to do the new Android and MMI myself, but they insisted that if I let them to that it will barely add any costs (expect for the parts) since the car will torn apart anyway when installing all of above.

So I agreed, I guess I will do the next retrofit myself to get "hands on" with the car :)

I will however get all the software all installed and play with the car (I love to do that), in addition to the damper issue.

I have also noticed today that the passenger footwell light doesn't work as well, now, after reading your instructions it seems that I might have disconnected it by mistake.

I will see how that goes.
and I really need to replace my bulbs (the previous owner installed some cold blue LEDs and they barely give any light).
Any recommendations for good interior lighting?
I will looking into these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262863432160
They are quite expensive though, but it's a set after all.
(btw, any idea which bulbs come stock as OEM?)

Thank you again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts