BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
i'm taking delivery of the 45e in the next couple of weeks. i'm planning to transfer my dashcam with an external battery pack to it and hardwire the dashcam so it runs off the external battery when the car is off (and charges the external battery when the car runs). has anyone done this before?
if i don't hook up the dashcam to the external battery and i run it off the cigarette socket, will it simply use the 23kw battery from the car? is this advisable?
cheers
B

·
Registered
2021 X5 xDrive 45e
236 Posts
hello all,
i'm taking delivery of the 45e in the next couple of weeks. i'm planning to transfer my dashcam with an external battery pack to it and hardwire the dashcam so it runs off the external battery when the car is off (and charges the external battery when the car runs). has anyone done this before?
if i don't hook up the dashcam to the external battery and i run it off the cigarette socket, will it simply use the 23kw battery from the car? is this advisable?
cheers
B
The cigarette lighter like most of the accessories run off the 12volt battery. Hard wire ing the dash cam isn’t too difficult. I opted to pay a professional experienced at removing and replacing any panels to hide the wire. You have a choice of 2 connections, one turns off and on with the start button the other turns on and off with accessories staying active a few minutes after shutdown. Some people prefer this. The cigarette lighter socked is very deep some accessories don’t reach deep enough.
You’re going to love your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cigarette lighter like most of the accessories run off the 12volt battery. Hard wire ing the dash cam isn’t too difficult. I opted to pay a professional experienced at removing and replacing any panels to hide the wire. You have a choice of 2 connections, one turns off and on with the start button the other turns on and off with accessories staying active a few minutes after shutdown. Some people prefer this. The cigarette lighter socked is very deep some accessories don’t reach deep enough.
You’re going to love your car.
thanks for that. sounds like i'm fine to hardwire it and still utilise the external battery pack!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts