BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possession of radar detectors is illegal in DC, so I try to be careful with it and often remove the remote display when entering the District.

Sure I have the main unit hidden, but the remote display is on the instrument console and was flashing the whole time the cop was there. I had double-parked with my hazards just to pick my sister up who was waiting at the curb. The cop pulls up, completely blocks the narrow street and says, "you know it is a $115 fine for parking like that…" I am thinking WTF do taxi cabs do when they pick-up some one. My sister was just buckling up, so I said, "I am very sorry, as you can see I was just picking-up my sister." I would have certainly seen him in court if he had charged me with illegally parking! Fortunately he did not know what he was looking at or I would have been screwed for the radar detector violation, no front plate, too dark tinted windows, and the voices that tell me to speed.

J/k about the voices J

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pod13 said:

Hey CD, detectors are illegal in N. VA too. :rolleyes:

Any cops give you grief for no front plate?
I mentioned all of that because any good law officer should notice several reasons to ticket me. I think it is amazing that I have never been ticketing for anything (in the BMW) and this was my first ever encounter with a law officer in the BMW. To this date, I have driven almost 30,000 miles in the BMW. So long road conditions and traffic permits, 90% of those 30,000 miles are at 10 to 30 MPH above the speed limit. BTW, I have never been in an accident while I was driving any car, EVER. Even though 30 MPH over the limit seems fast, I do strive to be safe.

My plan with the plate was that I would just pay the first ticket or two. It is no points and only a small fine, but I have not yet received even a warning.

In VA you are allowed to possess a radar detector, but not allowed to use it. The fine would be less than $100. The radar detector *MAY* be confiscated as evidence, but will be returned at the conclusion of the trial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.