BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Lufthansa has DC power outlets underneath the seats in the coach cabin like almost all US carriers such as American, NWA, etc.? I have a portable DVD player that can use a DC power outlet and it's worked famously in the past and I just wondered if any of you have had the same success on Lufthansa or knew that they did not have DC power outlets under the seats in coach. Thanks!

bmills

I leave tomorrow for Munich! Woo hoo!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
bmills313 said:
Does anyone know if Lufthansa has DC power outlets underneath the seats in the coach cabin like almost all US carriers such as American, NWA, etc.? I have a portable DVD player that can use a DC power outlet and it's worked famously in the past and I just wondered if any of you have had the same success on Lufthansa or knew that they did not have DC power outlets under the seats in coach. Thanks!

bmills

AFAIK, none in coach. :mad:

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
bmills313 said:

bmills

I didn't bother to check... the drinks were all complementary.. even the after dinner brandy! With that and 2 movies (also complementary)....... who needs a DVD player... :dunno: just extra weight for the carry-on.

I did see them weighing carry-ons and making people lighten them up or in some cases.. they just checked them rather than re-packing.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Weighing carry-ons is simple to get around...I don't know why they bother giving you a hard time about it. You just pull stuff out until it meets the 6 kg (or whatever it is) and then put it back in later! I do this all the time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arnolds said:
AFAIK, none in coach. :mad:
I thought I would call up customer service and get their input and they told me that almost all of their planes have DC power outlets under the seats asI described, namely the larger planes flying overseas. That could mean that it's the truth or else it might mean that "conveniently" my plane is one without DC power! HA!

Anyone else happen to know? Bee, perhaps?

bmills

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
bmills313 said:
.... Bee, perhaps?...
Dude... unless you are flying business class... you will need one of these babies:

This is what you will need!! :eeps:

Try and get one that will match the interior cabine color so the flight attentends won't notice.

Cheers, and good luck ;) :p

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
btw, I do not recommend you to wrap this across your chest (ala Rambo Style) and carry this onto the plane. You've got alot to explain to the TSA guys. :eeps:

Good luck... really :bustingup

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I guees I'm SOL (to use Bee's phrase) on this. I only have an AC power supply for my old P2 laptop I'm bringing. So, I have one shot at the battery and that's it. I thought I read there was power recepticals on the plane, but is that DC only? I don't really want to buy an AC adapter for this old Compaq.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I would think they'd have AC outlets over DC...DC has too much loss over distance...that is why our homes have AC power brought to them.

That way anyone can plug their usual AC to DC converter into it and be home free. If they provide DC power, what voltages is it supplied at? Computers use stuff all over the map although I think 12 V is most typical.

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
beewang said:
Dude... unless you are flying business class... you will need one of these babies:

Try and get one that will match the interior cabine color so the flight attentends won't notice.

I'm so glad I haven't seen a cabin interior that matches that color, Bee. I think I would need eye shades for the whole flight to calm down my eyes.
:p

How about something like this instead?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
beewang said:

:rofl:
We'll see... I'm gonna bring the portable DVD and the DC charger (BTW, they output a maximum of 15V, if I remember correctly) and keep my fingers crossed they have the outlet. If not, I guess I'll watch one quality movie and then "enjoy" some of the in-flight movies. :rolleyes:

bmills

BTW, I'll take a picture of the DC outlets if they do indeed exist.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
bmills313 said:
I'll take a picture of the DC outlets if they do indeed exist.
Well... you will end up taking a picture of the nice A340 bathroom :p because that is where it is in the roach class :eeps:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
beewang said:
Well... you will end up taking a picture of the nice A340 bathroom :p because that is where it is in the roach class :eeps:
HA! How do you REALLY feel about the economy class?! LOL!

I wish I was financially well to do and could afford the more leg room, and AC power outlets...instead of the alleged lone DC outlet in the bathroom of "roach" class :p Maybe next time I can afford the business class...a boy can dream... Of course, I could probably find a million better things to do with all that cash!!

bmills

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
bmills313 said:
:rofl:
We'll see... I'm gonna bring the portable DVD and the DC charger (BTW, they output a maximum of 15V, if I remember correctly) and keep my fingers crossed they have the outlet. If not, I guess I'll watch one quality movie and then "enjoy" some of the in-flight movies. :rolleyes:

bmills

BTW, I'll take a picture of the DC outlets if they do indeed exist.
Hey Bmills313 I am with you. I need my portable DVD player to keep entertained or else I'll drive the wife nuts. If you are like me that cannot sleep on those flights, I'd bring the portable. I also bring celebrexBextra for my cramped back specially flying coach at 6'1" your legs and back get pretty soar. Oh well!

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Cool link, aty, thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Foget it. Its way too crowded on those seats to pull out a laptop. No power in coach class, so I didn't sign up for $29.95 to only use it for an hour until my battery ran out. There was no room anyway. The plane was full, LA -> Munich

(posted from Munich)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.