BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment my 545i is dead in the driveway with zero sign of life. Zero, as in the batterey may as well be missing. I walked outside and unlocked the car like any other day and it flashed the markers and made the chirp. I hop in and all the lights turned on like normal, and before i could even turn the key everything went dark. Ive had trickle charger on it for 2 days now and still no life. I noticed my two wires feeding my halo lamp on the driver side were both exposed through deteriorating wire sheath and thought maybe that could be causing a quick voltage drop due to contact but im not too sure. Wondering if the quick flicker of power from opening the car might have triggered the drain between the exposed wires. Any thoughts? Brand new batterey is absoluteley depleted now after being at 100% the day prior

·
Registered
611 Posts
Honestly based on what you described I have no real solutions for you other than getting your fiver towed to your nearest indy. You could of blown your fuse panel....Let ask ,did you check your fuses with a tester to see if maybe it just a blown fuse? I've seen instances of a blown fuse disabling a car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent yet. Thats the next move for sure. Just did the valve seals and AB bracket seals a week ago. I just want to enjoy a smoke free ride!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know the feeling of a smoke free ride. I had valve seals done and a front reseal to fix all the oil leaks and coolant let. Its bliss when your V8 is leak free and smoke free.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
Wasn't there a recall on the negative battery cable? could be the problem. oh and we are all on that journey for a oil and smoke free ride. .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol guy in LA CA got me dialed in for cheap! Its a great car, but everytime something acts up i feel my bank account get nervous. this one has me totally lost though. I have yet to check all the fuses but im pretty sure something's going straight to ground

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,406 Posts
[ ... ] Ive had trickle charger on it for 2 days now and still no life. [ ... ]Brand new batterey is absoluteley depleted now after being at 100% the day prior
A "trickle" charger CANNOT recover a dead battery, being designed and capable of charging only at the self-discharge rate of its intended battery, presumably here an automotive battery.

How did you detect 100% capacity ampere-hours in your BMW battery?

Best practice is to buy an automotive smart (capable of detecting an AGM-VRLA battery) battery CHARGER and regularly frequently charging the battery in accordance with the owner's manual instructions.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Shorted lighting circuits will not cause your issue. In the event a lighting circuit is shorted, the LM module will disable the circuit and prevent excess draw.

As mentioned a dead battery will most likely not recover with a trickle charger. However most likely what was happened is that a cell or two in the battery has died. I'd check your connections first and then try a new battery

·
Registered
337 Posts
Shorted lighting circuits will not cause your issue. In the event a lighting circuit is shorted, the LM module will disable the circuit and prevent excess draw.

As mentioned a dead battery will most likely not recover with a trickle charger. However most likely what was happened is that a cell or two in the battery has died. I'd check your connections first and then try a new battery
The battery can still work normally when it has dead cells inside? How can you tell if this is going on in your battery. I have Carly, is there anyway to tell with that?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Take the battery out and have it checked . Make sure you have the correct battery installed a AGM or acid type . Auto zone will do it for free then go from there . Get it charged or install a new one then keep us posted .

Any loss of voltage the IBS cable will detect it then send a low 15 wake up signal message via the BSD to the DME , and will keep the car in sleep mode and will not start . Also the battey cable recall is not going to cause this issue . Also it can be the IBS cable tha can cause this issue and or a faulty 30 g relay . So ,, battery , 30g , and IBS would be the first items on the list to rule out as the cause .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts