BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

I have a 2007 e93, I had a new battery installed last fall but it has an issue loosing charge if it sits still. It's a garage queen so it doesn't get a lot of long trips, maybe an hour long drive once a week and a few short trips in between. I'm pretty good at charging it up from time to time with a trickle charger but I let it go dead the other day. I charged it for 48 hours and there's lots of power for lights and to articulate the top but no start.

Is there a magic switch or process I have to perform after charging a dead battery to get it to start.

Cheers'

·
Registered
200 Posts
We're going to need more to go on. Do you charge the battery in place, or are you removing the batter to charge it? Have you measured the voltage on the battery itself after removing the negative cable from it? What does it read? What noises, if any, is the car making when you try to start it? Is the starter engaging, and just not spinning fast enough, or are you hearing clicks but no starter, etc.? Have you pulled the error codes? Are you getting a low voltage indicator on your dash when attempting to start the car? What is your dash telling you when you try to start it?

I had a dead battery once and it legitimately took over 3 days, while completely removed from the car to avoid parasitic drain, for it to charge back up.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
" I charged it for 48 hours and there's lots of power for lights and to articulate the top but no start. "

The battery might be able to supply 12V for lights, but it might not be able to supply strong supply of CURRENT (Amps) to energize the starter sufficiently!!!
A charged battery should read 12.4-12.6V...reading 12.2V and below is a battery needing to be charged, or a battery with one dead cell (of 6)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late responce, thanks for these replies.

I charged the battery buy connecting to the posts under the hood. There is no noise like it tries to start, no clicking, no turning over at all. I'll put a gage on it and reply back here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts