BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been trying to get an E90 for about 2 weeks. After several hours of negotiation we got to an agreement.

MSRP 38,495
Negotiated Price 35,700
monthly payment 470
Payment OTD 2,470 includes (4 MSDS and 1st month payment)

I told them, that I had to talk it over with the wife.

Stop by the next day, dealer now wants an additional 1,000 and will not budge.

Now, should I go to another dealer or try to get this deal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If your wife is okay with you getting the car, go back to the dealership and play the old "I'll take the car right now if you give me this number." Just start negotiating with them again, but tell them you will take it right then and there. It is the end of the month, so they will want to get the car out soon.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I been trying to get an E90 for about 2 weeks. After several hours of negotiation we got to an agreement.

MSRP 38,495
Negotiated Price 35,700
monthly payment 470
Payment OTD 2,470 includes (4 MSDS and 1st month payment)

I told them, that I had to talk it over with the wife.

Stop by the next day, dealer now wants an additional 1,000 and will not budge.

Now, should I go to another dealer or try to get this deal. Any suggestions?
every dealer has a list of people they wish they never sold a car to. if i had to guess, i would say you fit the profile.

trying to buy a car for 2 weeks, taking SEVERAL HOURS to negotiate, and *STILL* not ready to actually buy the car is probably just not worth any more of their time and hassle.

i'm actually on the dealer's side here... *YOU* backed out of the deal, to the extent that there even was a deal. your thread title is not very accurate, imo :rolleyes:

·
Salaried Tourist
147 Posts
Before you walked out, did you ask the dealer if he would honor his price the next day?
It sounds like they bent over backwards to make you happy, and you left the deal on the table.
Offer them half the difference ($500) and enjoy your new car.

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts
every dealer has a list of people they wish they never sold a car to. if i had to guess, i would say you fit the profile.

trying to buy a car for 2 weeks, taking SEVERAL HOURS to negotiate, and *STILL* not ready to actually buy the car is probably just not worth any more of their time and hassle.

i'm actually on the dealer's side here... *YOU* backed out of the deal, to the extent that there even was a deal. your thread title is not very accurate, imo :rolleyes:
+1 :rolleyes:

·
Go Gators
10,338 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the others, you backed out of the deal when you said you had to "talk to your wife". If you were serious about the deal you would have had your wife come to the dealership and you would have sat down with her and discussed it with her.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
If I were you, I would try another dealer. You may get the same or better deal.

You didn't mention that the dealer agreed to hold the price, or the car for that matter. Assuming that they didn't agree to this, since you had the option to talk it over with your wife and not take the deal, it seems like they had the option to not keep the deal as well.

Sounds like the dealer acted fairly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
guys, don't be so harsh. he's not asking about your opinion on his initial deal. he wants to know HOW he can get the same one.

go to another dealer. i think you just burn your bridge with that dealer after not taking the deal with hours of negotiation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advise guys. I'll check with them today if they are up to it. I'll go pick up the car. If not back to square one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gotta be kiddin me.............

Thanks for the advise guys. I'll check with them today if they are up to it. I'll go pick up the car. If not back to square one.
Dont expect anything more from the dealership you went to. I agree with what all the statements above.

Let me get this straight: you negotiate for 2 hours, get them down to a blowout price of 35,000 ( a true loser deal for them) and not take the car????? What did you reply when asked about taking the car that day? Then you say you have to talk it over with your wife????????? I dont think you are giving us the whole picture here. Why the hell would you waste your time and theirs if you were not ready to do business??????:thumbdwn:

Now you must ask yourself a question "why would they want to do business with me?" By upping the price, they just told you that you are not worth the time without paying more, and they are right. IMHO you should pay the thousand, then move on.

To get even remotely close to what you had before, you have go to another dealership. If you are not ready to do business, DO NOT SIT DOWN TO NEGOTIATE. I hope since you have no loyalty and care only for the price, I hope you are prepared for them to have the same attitude towards you when you need something.

Your ownership experience is what you make of it.:thumbup:

·
Salaried Tourist
147 Posts
While I stand by my original post, here's a strategy.
Go back to the dealer and eat a little crow. Assuming your wife has agreed, ask them to reinstate the offer.
Explain to the CA that this may be just another deal to them, but its a very major purchase to you, and you've heard too many horror stories from guys who bought the car of their dreams only to be given unending grief over making a unilateral decision (dont ask me how I know... it was a 996 turbo).
If they have any conscience they'll grind you a bit, but they'll give you the deal. If they are still pissed, offer them half the difference... $500 isnt too high a price for happiness, now is it?
If the dealer wants the full $1,000, and says something like "You're not going to let another $500 keep you from this great car, are you?" Your response is "No. Are you?"
I dont think they'll let you walk away, cash in hand, from a fair deal.. especailly toward the end of the month.
If they will... they aren't the only dealer within 1000 miles, are they?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the others, you backed out of the deal when you said you had to "talk to your wife". If you were serious about the deal you would have had your wife come to the dealership and you would have sat down with her and discussed it with her.
+1. Either you should had her with you, or if it were me and I had a woman I had to talk things over with, I would have gotten a range pre approved with her before I went so I could call the shots at the dealer. I'm in sales managment myself and nothing pisses me off more than customers who drive a very hard bargin (which you did) then say, "I need to go talk it over with my partner/board/wife (insert whatever)" You may be telling the truth, but 9 times outta 10 that usually means you're going to my compeditor to try to get them to do better.

But live and learn...I would go to another dealer, but don't repete the same scenario. Take your wife with you or have her agree to let you make the move on the deal if it's offered. :) Good luck on getting the deal! You should try one of our sponsors if you can.

My 2 cents! :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
+ 1 NOTHING... :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Absolutely NOT. I am on his side. He negotiated the price of a car and decided to talk to his wife. After all he is purchasing a "big ticket item. The dealer is pulling the old... "now that you are back, we know you really must want this car." THIS IS BULL!

He didn't go home and price shop against other dealers. He did what we all should do. He went home to cool his head, run the numbers in private, ask questions, and think it over. I don't know about you guys, but I NEVER want to be that guy at the bbq who paid too much for the same car his neighbor drives!!

This guy should go back and if they are not willing to give him the deal ("I'll buy it now if you offer it to me at the same price") as was mentioned above, he should just walk into another dealer, with his figures and see if they are will to match or even beat the price.

I bet you, they will and if the new dealer doesn't have the car, the buyer knows where to send the dealer to get one. Just MHO.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
He's been messing with the dealer for TWO weeks. If you're a committed buyer it doesn't take TWO weeks to buy a car.

·
Salaried Tourist
147 Posts
Everyone in the car business knows that until the papers are signed and countersigned, the plates are swapped, and the car rolls out over the curb, everything is still open for negotiation.
Just as he had the right to say "I've got to go home and ask the wife"... they had the right to say, "I had to check with the boss, and he no longer wants that deal."
I think there's a good chance he can put the deal back together for the same number or very close to it. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Please update us.

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
Everyone in the car business knows that until the papers are signed and countersigned, the plates are swapped, and the car rolls out over the curb, everything is still open for negotiation.
Just as he had the right to say "I've got to go home and ask the wife"... they had the right to say, "I had to check with the boss, and he no longer wants that deal."
I think there's a good chance he can put the deal back together for the same number or very close to it. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Please update us.
:stupid:

I suspect that the center had a sales goal for that day and I believe they were willing to take that deal on that day. Client balks and walks with "I wanna think about it.. gotta go home and ask the wife" objection/stall and next day guess what happened- it's not that the center had a change of heart in the deal, but maybe they're meeting their sales objective, or better- they have someone else interested in the car and they're not grinding the price like the guy that walked. Maybe they realized that no one else has this particular car in stock, so it's now justifiable that they don't have to "give away" a car no one else has.

IMO, if you were talking, negotiating, engaged in discussion with a CA about this car for two weeks, I think the Mrs. should've known about it from day one in order to get clearance for takeoff. I think you could've at least made a phone call to her if you needed her blessing. It would've saved you time, frustration, and a $1,000.

I'm cool with the center having to think about it, too. Like I mentioned before, they probably had second thoughts, had more activity and interest in the vehicle, and realized by doing a self locate that even if you walked, you couldn't shop this car because it was the only one around and they certainly aren't going to dealer transfer this car to the other center across town knowing that this guy is shopping this particular.

So both parties left the table without an agreement. Client walked on the proposal made on that day of business with the conditions being to take delivery that day. The client didn't leave any earnest money to hold the agreement, so there's no obligation between neither party. What if the next day, they were still willing to do the deal and the customer came back and offered an even lower value? The customer can do it, but the center can't? No one shook hands, no monies were exchanged, and documents weren't signed. As far as that center was concerned, yesterday was a conversation when the customer walked. :(

Oh well. Live and learn.

Moral of the story: Talk to the SO, spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc, before you get down to brass tax on buying a car. It'll save you time and money.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
.... After several hours of negotiation we got to an agreement.

......I told them, that I had to talk it over with the wife....
WHAT AGREEMENT!!???:dunno::confused:

What did you agreed on?? That the price was good and you have to think it over with the "wife"??

That ain't an agreement pal! An agreement is reached and both parties signed on the dotted line (aka written Contract, where the statue of fraud applies). Its a meeting of the minds, which was NOT the case here.

A good rule to live by is to NOT to go window shopping for a shirt unless you need one... likewise w/ cars... or you'd be wasting your time... as well as others that you "stroked" who makes a living and get paid on if and ONLY if they closed on a sale.

Just my 2 cents worth,

beewang :)

·
Salaried Tourist
147 Posts
Adrian, you bring logic and experience to the discussion, and a refreshing sense of candor from the dealer perspective.
I'd give you a chance to earn my business.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
WHAT AGREEMENT!!???:dunno::confused:

That ain't an agreement pal! An agreement is reached and both parties signed on the dotted line (aka written Contract, where the statue of fraud applies). Its a meeting of the minds, which was NOT the case here.
He didnt need a written deal to have a contract. And a car lease does not require a written agreement to be binding under the SOF (unlike, a real estate purchase and sale contract). However, the OP doesnt have a contract because there needs to be offer, acceptance and exchange of consideration and there was simply nothing other than an unaccepted offer here.

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
Adrian, you bring logic and experience to the discussion, and a refreshing sense of candor from the dealer perspective.
I'd give you a chance to earn my business.
Thanks, man.

Yeah, I wish I had an 06 IB M Roadster for ya. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts