BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Jon,

When a dealer says they they have 5 remaining November 3-Series build allocations, are the allocations "specific" to as to the model and style of the E46?

Or do BMW dealers get "X" number of 3-Series allocations each month, of which the dealer can order up any combination of E46 styles for which they happen to need or receive orders for?

Just curious?

Thanks!

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
Zappo said:
Hello Jon,

When a dealer says they they have 5 remaining November 3-Series build allocations, are the allocations "specific" to as to the model and style of the E46?

Or do BMW dealers get "X" number of 3-Series allocations each month, of which the dealer can order up any combination of E46 styles for which they happen to need or receive orders for?

Just curious?

Thanks!
Hey Zappo,

Thanks for the inquiry!

With BMW, all allocations are specific - down to the 4-digit
model code. In other words, in order to order a 325Ci you
need an allocation for a 325Ci. At least we have the freedom
to decide whether it's a manual or a step (with Audi, for example
that's decided for you)... However, for us here in CA we now have the new "SULEV" variety 3ers which are all automatics.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon ....... Wow, they sure don't give you much wiggle room!

I suppose allocations are based on dealer specific historical sales?

Mucho Thanks,

Zap

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
Zappo said:
Jon ....... Wow, they sure don't give you much wiggle room!

I suppose allocations are based on dealer specific historical sales?

Mucho Thanks,

Zap
Allocations are based on lots of things such as historical sales,
annual forecast, market penetration (as a brand in Primary
Market Area), and inventory "turn rate", or "rate of travel"...

It's a "turn and earn" business; the quicker you manage to
retail what they give you, the more you're gonna get.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Turn and Earn" ....... I like that phrase and with your permission, I'd like to use it at my office (oil field equipment supplies).

BTW, regarding buying a car in CA as an Oregon resident and shipping it for about $800 to the Portland area, I've decided to just keep things simple and order from my nearby local dealer up here ..... I've got a 2003 325Ci from a Nov Build allotment offerred to me with the options and colors of my choosing for about $550 under MSRP. The dealer is only going to make about $1990 off this purchase over and above his cost (including the MACO fee).

$34260 for a 2003 325Ci coupe with Steptonic, Moon Roof, Met Paint, 3-Series Alarm, Floor Mats and Sports Pack at this time with no sales tax and only $63 for 2 years of license plate fees at $34323 out the door somewhat eases the painful thoughts of the upcoming rainy season up here ;)

Mucho thanks!

ZAP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts