Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a beautiful brand new 440 I drove back three weeks ago. Then found the license plate was uneven. After removing bracket, I found the holes on M sport front bumper were so sloppily drilled that one hole is way off center and sits alomost to touch the crease of bumper.
IMG_8392.jpg
so one side of license plate tilts up.

I came to dealer and they sent me to their collision center. I thought they planned to replace the bumper. But finally the guys in collision center only cut the screw holes on bracket larger and used washer and larger screws to adapt the bracket to the off center holes on bumper.

Final look is like
IMG_8396.jpg

I removed stupid dealer ad frame and installed a black one but it still look ugly by sitting higher than bumper crease
IMG_8522.jpg

Now the plate is even, but because one hole is very close to bumper crease or its upper edge, the hacked bracket sits now higher than normal. It extended out of bumper crease and starts to block kidney grilles.

I feel frustrated that they treated $60k new car like this. Am I over reacting or OCD? What should I do? Should I push them to replace the bumper and then leave it without plate at all.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
My last car with a front tag was a '92 Nissan Sentra.

I looked at the uninstalled holder for Frau Putzer's X3. It has four holes for mounting it to the bumper and what look like alignment tabs that go under the bumper.

A new bumper cover would be about $2k.

Bumper putty and spot painting will not be a proper repair. Paint only sticks to primer, not to other paint.

Big picture... you don't want those morons ever touching your car again.

Take some pictures of other BMW's of the same model (and M Sport) with properly installed front tag holders. Then, sue the dealer in small claims court. for a new bumper cover. Don't let them do the work. They will be motivated to further trash your car.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
My F10's uninstalled holder has two tabs at the bottom which have 90-degree bends in them (so they're pointing up). They fit into slits in the underside of the bumper (above the bottom grill work). I bet your holder had (past tense) similar tabs.

Those holes they drilled are probably close enough to where there's supposed to be that they would weaken holes drilled in the proper place. You might have to replace the foam behind the bumper cover, too.

BMW dealerships out there probably have OE tag holders in stock, and they shouldn't be expensive. Buy one and you can see how/where you holder was supposed to be.

Lawyer up, and find a new BMW dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply....I looked at my factory plate bracket coming with F36. It has no tabs at the bottom or back.

so it is all stupid dealer’s discretion how to center it.

I looked at many online pictures of M sport bumper with a front tag. It looked like most (not so stupid and floppy)dealer use bumper crease to align the plate bracket so 1. bracket is even and 2. bracket sit below bumper crease, the upper part of bumper and grilles are not blocked by bracket. At least it doesn’t ruin the look of bumper.

Mine is just way up bumper crease. Hardly to see another front tag installed on 440 like dealer did on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
15 Posts
that's ugly brother. I feel your pain. I would go back and talk to the general manager. I would look at the plates that have installed on their loaner cars to compare before that.
But definitely get this fixed.

·
Registered
515 Posts
57 years in a state with front plates, now in Florida with NO front plate requirement... I kinda like it.....

·
Registered
848 Posts
None of my cars have front plates and we live on a two plate state. I’ve never had a cop even look at me wrong and i had two accidents that weren’t my fault in two different cars in the past year. Both times the cops had to walk to the back of each car to get the plate numbers and neither cop said a word about no front plate. My daughter is based in California in the Navy and has two BMW’s and neither have front plates and has never had a problem. If some idiot from a dealership even came close to my cars with a drill he wouldn’t be able to walk away. The dealership I deal with doesn’t even install the front brackets.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I bought mine new in CA too, and my salesman told me they only put a front plate on if the buyer requests it. (I don’t have one).

·
This Space 4 Rent
174 Posts
A front plate is an eyesore no matter how or how well its mounted. There is no excuse for how that was drilled. At least if they were at tha same height and a tad lower they could be later faked with push in plugs and not look too bad. Knowing that cars often cross state lines once a few years old you would think they would just use two way tape to fix a bracket to the bumper cover. It won't come off under normal use and can be carefully warmed up and removed without a scar.

The front bracket for Euro Delivery cars it just on with two way tape. The stuff is all that's holding many trim items on millions of cars. Maybe a white frame would stand out less?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
None of my cars have front plates and we live on a two plate state. I***8217;ve never had a cop even look at me wrong and i had two accidents that weren***8217;t my fault in two different cars in the past year. Both times the cops had to walk to the back of each car to get the plate numbers and neither cop said a word about no front plate. My daughter is based in California in the Navy and has two BMW***8217;s and neither have front plates and has never had a problem. If some idiot from a dealership even came close to my cars with a drill he wouldn***8217;t be able to walk away. The dealership I deal with doesn***8217;t even install the front brackets.

First, just because you've gotten away with it, doesn't mean it isn't still compulsory where it's compulsory. Second, I'm sure the dealership has come close to your cars with a drill or otherwise. In states that have two plate requirements, dealership are supposed to be required to install, but obviously people just hardly see the laws being enforced. Third, if you don't like license plates, then don't buy a car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On one of my cars I use double sided tape and on the other I use a tow-hook mount. No holes drilled in either one.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts