Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer ordered my X1 without an option that I requested. Fortunately, this was caught 6 weeks prior to my delivery date. The weird part is my car shows the correct option on bmwusa.com when I go to track my car online. BMW NA told me not to trust the website, since it's not official.

The dealer is unable to change the order and are suggesting I cancel the car and make a new one.

That's fine, but I've already booked my non-refundable flights. There is no guarantee they will match my original delivery date in November. They claim they cannot get a delivery estimate until they cancel the original car and request a new one. This will release the original car.

I called BMW NA directly and they mentioned that when something like this happens, they usually do their best to accommodate. Not sure what I should do though.

Anyone have experience with something like this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went through this. I placed initial order and got ED date. After a week, I changed my mind and requested CA to change the options (really wanted MSport package which I didn't have in original order). All this happened before car went into production (150 status I think). After I requested, CA mentioned there was some issue with the system and car went into production before he was able to update. Everything happened very quickly. We had no choice but to cancel and start over from scratch. I have been warned that BMW can't guarantee the same ED date. I really wanted the car with the options I wanted and I proceeded with new order even if that meant rescheduling the non-refundable flights etc. I didn't get the same date :(

It could have been a lot worse if new date was like 2-3 weeks after original date. Luckily it was only 3 days later and I didn't have to reschedule anything. Only downside was cost of renting a car and bit more driving which I didn't mind.

In your case, you mentioned dealer made a mistake. If you end up rescheduling (hope that wont happen), I am not sure if dealer is going to compensate. I have no idea how it should be handled.

·
Aviator
2,928 Posts
What often happens in situations like this is AG "loans" you a similar car and makes a new one and has it sent to your dealer. I've had two ED's like this, but in both instances it was an AG mistake, not my dealer's. I'll guess a lot may rest upon the size of your dealer and their standing with NA.

Care to rat out the dealer involved? :D

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
You don't mention when in November. Late November?

If you're going to re-order, you should do it ASAP. In your shoes, I'd pursue that path. Then work to make the car happen. It's unfortunate, but in these situations, it's basically up to you to do more work to get a positive outcome. Having BMWNA and the dealer be proactive is hit or miss in my experience. You're one customer amongst many.

·
198 Posts
PIckup the WRONG BUILD and drive it. Have you CA order a new car to be delivered to your dealership. They will wholesale the original car to the dealership and also send it to the dealership where they will sell it as a new car but with mileage and at a great price. This is how I did it when my client arrived at the WELT to find that
her car didnt have navigation....BMW was very accomodating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice all. It seems like there are options on the table if they can't hold my date. I've given them the go head via email to re-order, but informed them there are more drastic options like what John suggested.

But to Chris's point, I'm one customer among many, so I'm going to have to push for a reasonable resolution.

My original date is November 11th. I arrive the evening of the 10th and leave the 16th to Asia to complete a round-the-world trip for work.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The dealer ordered my X1 without an option that I requested. Fortunately, this was caught 6 weeks prior to my delivery date. The weird part is my car shows the correct option on bmwusa.com when I go to track my car online. BMW NA told me not to trust the website, since it's not official.
Does your copy of the purchase order show the option you ordered?

If so then I would think bmwusa.com is correct???

If not when you pick up the car ask for a loaner while in Germany and have them build you a car with the options you requested.

Not sure why you can't change options? As options can be changed as long as it has not gone into production status 150.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your copy of the purchase order show the option you ordered?

If so then I would think bmwusa.com is correct???

If not when you pick up the car ask for a loaner while in Germany and have them build you a car with the options you requested.

Not sure why you can't change options? As options can be changed as long as it has not gone into production status 150.
It does not. The missing option was under the Driver Assistance Plus option (ACC Stop and Go).

I pointed this out to the dealer at the time of signing and they said don't worry, it's there. I made them show me, so they logged into their system, and showed me my car with the ACC Stop and Go. But somehow that didn't make it into the final car, despite BMWUSA.com showing it as well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What often happens in situations like this is AG "loans" you a similar car and makes a new one and has it sent to your dealer. I've had two ED's like this, but in both instances it was an AG mistake, not my dealer's. I'll guess a lot may rest upon the size of your dealer and their standing with NA.
Have your dealer see if they can arrange to have the Welt give you a loaner on your original date if the new car order is not completed by then.

Show the dealer this reply by dkreidel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts