Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am buying a new BMW 5-series. First time! Am thinking of doing ED. I've read many postings on Bimmerfest, but still had a question about dealers.

If I buy the car from a dealer that is not close by b/c they gave the best price, how important is it that the dealer you buy the car from be near where you live?

Can you take the car back to any BMW dealer for service?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
gaw00 said:
Am buying a new BMW 5-series. First time! Am thinking of doing ED. I've read many postings on Bimmerfest, but still had a question about dealers.

If I buy the car from a dealer that is not close by b/c they gave the best price, how important is it that the dealer you buy the car from be near where you live?

Can you take the car back to any BMW dealer for service?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
The only caveat that I know of is some dealers will only give loaner cars to the folks who bought the car at their dealership.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Quite a few clients buy out of state all the time. Most of the time, most centers welcome any opportunity to service a BMW since BMW NA pays them to do this.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Buy it from who will give you the best price.

Take it for service to the dealer with the best service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$500 "delivery fee"

I'm trying to negotiate an out of state (on west coast) ED for a car with a dealer to be delivered in the Northeast (presumably through a local dealer). After we reached agreement on the price, the west coast dealer said there is an additional "delivery fee" of $500 that they have to pay my local dealer to take care of the delivery of the car. Or I can call my local dealer and see how much they would charge to take delivery.

Is there any truth or basis for this? Has any one heard of this before or is this totally BS? I always thought the dealer you buy from will arrange for delivery with a local dealer and they will split the profit or settle any cost among themselves.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
gaw00 said:
Is there any truth or basis for this? Has any one heard of this before or is this totally BS? I always thought the dealer you buy from will arrange for delivery with a local dealer and they will split the profit or settle any cost among themselves.

Thanks for your thoughts.
$500 is pretty std. for a deal like this. Remember, someone has to pay for shipping the car from (in this case) the west coast to the east coast. That someone is you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought with ED they can ship the car directly anywhere in the US, so there is no additional domestic shipping.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
gaw00 said:
I thought with ED they can ship the car directly anywhere in the US, so there is no additional domestic shipping.
Well, its called courtesy delivery and the receiving dealership(not your original dealer) has to be compensated. Do a Search on the ED forum for "courtesy".

·
Retired and happy
488 Posts
"courtesy delivery"

Any BMW dealer can receive a new car sold by another dealer. The catch is that they are under no obligation of any kind to do so. Thus the selling dealer must get agreement from the "delivery" dealer before BMWNA will ship your BMW to the "delivery" dealer for a "courtesy" delivery.

Since most dealers are in business to make a profit they will not perform the delivery for free. $500 seems to be to be a reasonable charge and it is absolutely legitimate. Remember that the "delivery" dealer should clean your car and check it over prior to delivery to you. They also like to put a few bucks in their pocket for the privilege.

It has been my experience that many BMW dealers don't want to be involved in the delivery of a BMW sold by another dealer--at any reasonable price. So consider yourself fortunate if you find one that will do the "courtesy" delivery.

Did you save more than $500 by buying the car at the selling dealer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts