BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is becoming increasingly difficult to determine if the dealers are even able to install any options at this point in time.

Sure, floor mats, maybe carbon fiber mirror covers.

However, what I am asking about is tech items, along the lines of lane warnings, blind spot warnings, rear view camera, variable ratio steering etc..

My gut says no way..... but I figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can make an idea of what the BMW technicians are capable of installing and fix based on the training that BMW makes available to them. Just search for "BMW university training" on the web and you'll find lots of documents.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
BMWNA stopped supporting BMWAG OEM retrofits about 7 years ago, the last was the OEM alarm.

Used to be a time that Navigation, cameras and even leather seats were available as OEM retrofits. Now you have to get the car with those options or go aftermarket for some retrofits.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to determine if the dealers are even able to install any options at this point in time.

However, what I am asking about is tech items, along the lines of lane warnings, blind spot warnings, rear view camera, variable ratio steering etc..

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
bmwna stopped supporting bmwag oem retrofits about 7 years ago, the last was the oem alarm.

Used to be a time that navigation, cameras and even leather seats were available as oem retrofits. Now you have to get the car with those options or go aftermarket for some retrofits.
+1

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
BMWNA stopped supporting BMWAG OEM retrofits about 7 years ago, the last was the OEM alarm.

Used to be a time that Navigation, cameras and even leather seats were available as OEM retrofits. Now you have to get the car with those options or go aftermarket for some retrofits.
Also, it seems to me that, even if you go after market, you really dont seem to be saving any money vs just ordering / buying / leasing a car with the options you want. You get some choices, sure if you go after market, but in many cases it seems like its at least as expensive as just getting those options from BMW.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts

Nope--they may be able to install a rear camera, but not an OEM one. I think it's been years (decades?) since dealers installed items like that. Trailer hitches, roof racks--anything snap on or plug n' play at this point.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
The thing is that OEM retrofits were never intended to be cheaper than ordering factory options. OEM retrofits were for customers that got cars from the lot without options that they wanted.

Also, it seems to me that, even if you go after market, you really dont seem to be saving any money vs just ordering / buying / leasing a car with the options you want. You get some choices, sure if you go after market, but in many cases it seems like its at least as expensive as just getting those options from BMW.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Nope--they may be able to install a rear camera, but not an OEM one. I think it's been years (decades?) since dealers installed items like that. Trailer hitches, roof racks--anything snap on or plug n' play at this point.
Current OEM cameras can be retrofitted by forum vendor BimmerTech. Not cheap, not easy, but they can be done with OEM parts.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
Current OEM cameras can be retrofitted by forum vendor BimmerTech. Not cheap, not easy, but they can be done with OEM parts.
I didn't say it can't be done. I just said you can't just walk into the dealer and check a box for that as a "Dealer installed option".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts