BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this topic and I checked the FAQ and the best links thread.

I have what I assume is an aftermarket key. It does have keyless entry remote buttons. It doesn't even have a BMW logo. It works to start the car and lock/unlock doors -- using it like a regular key.

I called the local dealer and the correct key with remote functions is $290. Is there another resource for keys? Do aftermarket remote keys have problems? Should I just bite the bullet so I can get the proper key?

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,834 Posts
Have you tried initializing it for remote function? Figure its free to try so worth a shot to follow the BMW instructions even if it is an aftermarket key...unless you can find other specific instructions.

There are aftermarket keys that work. Some you have to move your security chip over to the new key so it is strictly a replacement but some do come with a blank security chip and there are people who can program the ISN number if they have access to your EWS module, in fact I believe the programmer (AK90) is less than $100.

Qsilver7 has posted everything you need to know about E39 keys.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm using an aftermarket key that works just fine, I didn't like the big key that it came with and needed a second key anyway. It was about $100 as opposed to the $240 the dealer wanted, plus I got a different style of key, the dealer wouldn't do that. Where are you located? The guy I got the key from is in northwest Arkansas. I can get you his info if interested.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,586 Posts
Well, if you factor in the price of the AK90 ($100 at least), the cost of the new key ($100), and IF you know what you are doing to program the key, your total cost is still close to the $240 charged by the dealer.
This is being a one time thing, I think it is best to go the dealer.

·
Under the lift arms
12,955 Posts
careful when it comes to BMW's and keys

its a specific art, its all vin coded

dealer for keys and tumblers and cylinders

1 - 6 of 6 Posts