BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

I guess I should've expected nothing less from a dealer. I was stupid, lazy (and cheap)-- I decided to have the dealer do my 15k oil service so that I could
1. Save the money on oil and filter
2. Get the dealer stamp in my service book
3. Get a replacement cabin microfilter and wiper blades
4. Have someone else do the work (although admittedly its very easy).

I drove home (about 10 miles), and checked the oil. Sure enough it was way above the top mark on the dipstick-- in fact it was all the way to the upper part of the plastic piece of the dipstick!

My Oil extractor came to the rescue-- I siphoned off a little over a quart of oil. Now the dipstick shows the oil reading just at the top of the little rectangle ( you know what i mean).

Given the amount of cars they see, the training they have, etc, why can't dealer mechanics even do an oil change correctly?! Its really amazing how bad a lot these guys are. That's the last time for me-- no more "free maintenace". More like "We'll do everything we can to destroy your car, for free".

I know its been asked, but I have to ask the obligatory, OCD "Do you think that this damaged my engine?".:mad: :mad:

Has anyone had a dealer change the oil and NOT overfill the crankcase?

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Operknockcity.

I know that the HACK has mentioned an overflow valve before. If its there, it allows a gross amount of overfill before it kicks in, because my car was definitely overfilled, but there is no oil leakage.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Might be in that thread, or I read it someplace else, some folks overfill by half a quart or more before tracking or auto-x-ing to prevent oil starvation. If so, then your overfill is prolly not going to kill the engine, at least not very quickly, but was still a bonehead move by the mechanic.

One more thing to check when my car goes in for it's first dealer oil change in about a month.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
They do that a lot.

I'm going to pay for an intermediate change when I take my car in today.

This time, I'm going to check the oil level at a gas station after I leave. If there is a problem, I'm going right back so that they can drain some out.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
I'm wondering if your dealer really did overfill it or not...

I checked my own oil an had it dead center, between the two dipstick marks. Everything was fine. Then I brought my car to the dealer to have them do a technical inspection for a driving school. The mechanic told me that my oil was low (!) and he added about 1/2 a quart. Hmmmm... Now here's where my ignorance comes in: Maybe the mechanic has some way of checking the oil level other than the dipstick? And maybe the dipstick reads low? He didn't mention giving me extra oil because I was about to be on the track.

Idunno. Maybe this will help or just cloud things up?

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nate328Ci said:
They do that a lot.

I'm going to pay for an intermediate change when I take my car in today.

This time, I'm going to check the oil level at a gas station after I leave. If there is a problem, I'm going right back so that they can drain some out.
I think the majority of mechanics overfill oil, and you rarely hear about engine failures as a result-- so I guess its really not that bad. But, I still prefer to do things properly. And, FWIW, the owner's manual does state that overfilling the oil WILL damage the engine.

Jon-
Its possible. But I think its even more possible that a lot of these mechanics don't know how to read the dipstick. The BMW dipsticks are kind of ambiguous, w/ no clear markings. And, BMW uses a lot of different types of dipsticks.
You mentioned that when you brought the car in that the oil was half-way between the bottom and top mark. If that's the case, the mechanic was right in saying that you were a half a quart low-- since the difference between the bottom and top mark is about 1 quart. In my case, the oil was filled way above either of these marks-- the oil level went alll the way to the star-shaped thing at the top of the plastic piece.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Rob,

So does that mean the oil should be at the top mark of the dipstick? Geez, maybe I've got to go reread that manual! When I do my oil changes and checks, I've always shot to be in between the hi and low marks. :tsk:

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JonW said:
Rob,

So does that mean the oil should be at the top mark of the dipstick? Geez, maybe I've got to go reread that manual! When I do my oil changes and checks, I've always shot to be in between the hi and low marks. :tsk:
Jon-

I think that's fine. ALthough technically, I guess you should shoot to have the oil hit the top marking. But, if you do your own oil changes, you should fill the oil most of the way-- but not all the way. Then run the engine for a bit to warm up the oil, check the level and complete the fill-up if necessary.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
robg said:
Jon-

I think that's fine. ALthough technically, I guess you should shoot to have the oil hit the top marking. But, if you do your own oil changes, you should fill the oil most of the way-- but not all the way. Then run the engine for a bit to warm up the oil, check the level and complete the fill-up if necessary.
Yup, that's just what I've been doing- except shooting for the middle of the dipstick. An easy change to make.

On a related note, I've not burned any oil since getting the car. I guess I've babied it some. :) Lots of people complained about lost oil here, but it's been great for me.:thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
The reason that the techs are overfilling the oil is NOT becouse they did put more, but becouse they did NOT waited long enough to drain everything out - and by that it got overfiled !
I have seen it inside in the services - for example it is still dripping oil and they are turning the bolt on and than they do fill it up by the model/engine fluid chart for how much oil does it need with out the tinking that they will overfill it by that way .......

3C

-----------
330Ci
A6Q
C280

Attachments

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3C said:
The reason that the techs are overfilling the oil is NOT becouse they did put more, but becouse they did NOT waited long enough to drain everything out - and by that it got overfiled !
I have seen it inside in the services - for example it is still dripping oil and they are turning the bolt on and than they do fill it up by the model/engine fluid chart for how much oil does it need with out the tinking that they will overfill it by that way .......

C280
I agree. This is what I think happened. Its almost worse-- what good is an oil change if you still have old oil left.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
False info

We have gone over this before on a other post.THE HACK gave out bad information.There is NO release valve for oil over fill,its a bunch of B/S.
good luck
vern

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
robg,
You mentioned using oil extractor, is it draining your oil completely, how much oil do you put whan you DIY?

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
F1Crazy said:
robg,
You mentioned using oil extractor, is it draining your oil completely, how much oil do you put whan you DIY?
When I did the oil change myself (last year), the oil extractor seemed to remove all of the oil-- it got about 6.5 quarts-- which is about right. That's how much oil I added back in.

I actually think the extractor gets more out than conventional draining.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
F1Crazy said:
There are a few places online that sell different extractors, which one can you recommend?
I don't have the URLs handy, but do a search on "oil extractor" threads in the DIY forum for lots of info. Several of us have MightVac units, either the 6 quart or the 8.8 quart models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts