BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just had my routine yearly oil change. As soon as car was brought back, I noticed a few irregularities on the car body. One being a deep scratch that went through the paint and another grey scuff as well as a nick in the paint in the front part of the left rear door. I complained to my service advisor immediately and he wanted me to bring it back in on tuesday to have it checked by the paint repair dept. He admitted it was new damage and not ones he had marked on the inspection paper. He said if it is too costly of a repair, they might have to split it. I definitely don't want pay a penny for this, as its entirely the fault of the dealer and the negligence and improper treatment from the service department. What leverage do I have on this issue? I already threatened them with negative reviews and a call to BMW HQ. Am I being too soft here?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If the dealer admitted to scratching the car why on earth would they split the cost with you? That's absurd! Just show back up to the dealer when they asked you to and see how they will fix it. Hopefully someone else might jump in and correct me if I'm wrong but I would advise you to hand wash the car before you go back to the dealer just so you know what scratches are there before and after dropping the car off at the dealer/body shop.

And I hope you got the dealer to admit the scratch in writing!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Forgot to ask prior. Did they wash the car before returning it back to you? If so it could have been caused by the car washing workers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I brought my x3 in to have new tires mounted an balanced. When I went to get the car, I noticed one of the rear wheels had a deep 4-5" gouge on the rim! Showed the SA who took full responsibility and rather than offering to repair it, just said we'll have a new OEM wheel mounted and balanced that day. The tech who drove the car over a curb denied it, but was fired that day. That's the way a dealership should handle issues like this. A new scratch - dealer is responsible and should have it repaired at zero cost to you, at a body shop of your choice. Can't believe they offered to split it with you - that's complete BS.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly! This was not my usual SA, but still, thats the wrong way to treat a customer. Anyways, I'm going to make sure I get them to take care of it. They have the only BMW dealership in town and its a very very succesful one, so, there is no reason for them to have to split it or even bring that up as a potential option.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Exactly! This was not my usual SA, but still, thats the wrong way to treat a customer. Anyways, I'm going to make sure I get them to take care of it. They have the only BMW dealership in town and its a very very succesful one, so, there is no reason for them to have to split it or even bring that up as a potential option.
Unfortunate, but some dealers just try to get away with what they can. I wouldn't give them an option - they damaged your car, they're fully responsible for the repair. No discussion. If you get pushback, send a letter to the Service Manager, Owner of the dealership, and BMW NA detailing the damage your "request" for full coverage of the repair. You'll get action, and damn quick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunate, but some dealers just try to get away with what they can. I wouldn't give them an option - they damaged your car, they're fully responsible for the repair. No discussion. If you get pushback, send a letter to the Service Manager, Owner of the dealership, and BMW NA detailing the damage your "request" for full coverage of the repair. You'll get action, and damn quick.
Ok will do. Letters are better than calling? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ok will do. Letters are better than calling? Thanks for the help!
If you get pushback from the dealer on full coverage for repair, definitely put it in writing. Mention the service associate who is giving you a hard time, but address the letter to the Service Manager and cc the dealership owner and BMW NA. Wouldn't hurt to contact BMW NA Customer Service by phone and let them know what is going on. Make noise if you need to - it works.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You can always threaten to take it to small claims court. I'd first get a written statement of admission though, so you have some leverage. If they refuse, tell them they either need to make it right solely at their own expense or you will pursue legal action.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Legal Action

Send letters as suggested. Letters are real notification. I would use certified to BMW NA. With the admission from dealer don't hesitate to let the Manager know you will pursue a small claim action with Magistrate court. There can be no splitting anything. Id expect a full fix from them. Nothing less. We all have that right.
:mad:

·
Registered
128 Posts
A full repair at no cost to you or up the Chain of Command it would go and all in writing; until you get satisfaction at no cost. Happened during their time with your car so they repair it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Highly doubt you will need to go to small claims court. Putting your concerns in writing should do the trick, in case you get stonewalled. Agree with certified letter to BMW NA. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My dealership does a rental-car-style walk-around at every service drop-off, and every noticeable defect is noted. If the OP's dealership is honest and reputable, and if they do a similar walk-around, there should be no question about 100% coverage for the repair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, they do the same. What caught me off guard was the SA saying they might have to split it...worrying but lets see what is done on tuesday

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi guys,
Just had my routine yearly oil change. As soon as car was brought back, I noticed a few irregularities on the car body. One being a deep scratch that went through the paint and another grey scuff as well as a nick in the paint in the front part of the left rear door. I complained to my service advisor immediately and he wanted me to bring it back in on tuesday to have it checked by the paint repair dept. He admitted it was new damage and not ones he had marked on the inspection paper. He said if it is too costly of a repair, they might have to split it. I definitely don't want pay a penny for this, as its entirely the fault of the dealer and the negligence and improper treatment from the service department. What leverage do I have on this issue? I already threatened them with negative reviews and a call to BMW HQ. Am I being too soft here?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
I see you are in Florida as well? May I ask where and what dealer? Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sure, In Tampa, and dealer is Reeves
Reeves is a very high volume dealer. Very surprised to hear they're beating you up over this. They should acknowledge they caused the damage, apologize, and pay for it to be repaired. Cost them so little. I wouldn't threaten them with lawsuits, small claims court. I stick by my thoughts on this - write a factual letter including details of the damage, pictures if you have them, date of service, etc. Address it to the Service Manager, and cc the ownership of Reeves, as well as BMW NA. It's true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

An example - when I took delivery of a new S4 in 2008, I couldn't get the six speed manual to engage 1st gear. They took the linkage down and replaced a broken part. Still no better. They then removed the transmission, made adjustments, etc. Still broken. I worked with the dealer and wrote a letter to the Service Manager, Owner, and Audi NA. Got calls and emails back almost immediately. They sent a tech down from their NJ headquarters, who told me we can't fix it. Advised me to trade it, and they gave me a very substantial check for my trouble and time. Bottom line, I then bought a 2008 Audi TTR that I had and loved for almost 8 years. It was basically a straight trade for cars that had essentially the same MSRP. Although it was a bigger issue, Audi handled it right. BMW should too, in this case.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
Hi guys,
He said if it is too costly of a repair, they might have to split it.
That is outrageous. However tell them you'll accept that if they'll split the cost of the BMW with you. Ask your insurance company/company how to handle it if they admitted fault. Call them before you talk to the dealer. As far as Florida dealers go....most are your best friend until the bill is paid.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think it should be 100 percent covered like everyone else. With that being said, I would not go in there tuesday "ready for a fight" so to speak. I would not start the letter writing campaign unless they actually start trying to bill you for it. IF they do try to bill you, I would let them know that you dont feel that is appropriate, and talk verbally up the chain in the dealership until you get to someone who says they will fix it no cost. Make sure your Client Advisor (if you bought the car from this dealership) knows what is going on as well.

Take down names, be polite but insistent that they should cover it. Verbal communications should be ok at this point imo. If you encounter "no" all the way up the chain at the dealer, THEN I would write a formal letter to the dealership and to BMW NA, detailing the issue, any pictures, and whoever you talked to that said no.

I doubt it will get that far, but I like to give people a chance to "make it right" before I start with the formal process.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts