BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Some Say...he apexes late
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup... have ~90 days of warranty left. Had the car into Santa Monica BMW for Inspection I service at 21,260 miles. Dipstick nearly dry upon arrival back home. Large leak in driveway. I dumped a quart of oil into it and drove the 6 miles back to the stealership. Right side of engine bay covered with oil spray. Visible drip marks from VCG. Mechanic pinched the valve cover gasket when replacing same after valve inspection/adjustment.

They have agreed to clean the engine bay, replace VCG and refill oil.

I have to wonder what else they did haphazardly. WHAT ELSE should I have them redo while they are feeling sheepish?

Moral of the story - check your oil levels BEFORE leaving dealership, every time.

regards,
RC

·
Registered
744 Posts
Another reason why I do all my own maintenance rather than take advantage of the BMW Maintenance Program.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Another reason why I do all my own maintenance rather than take advantage of the BMW Maintenance Program.
If that includes the valve adjustments, I'm truly impressed:bow:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yup... have ~90 days of warranty left. Had the car into Santa Monica BMW for Inspection I service at 21,260 miles. Dipstick nearly dry upon arrival back home. Large leak in driveway. I dumped a quart of oil into it and drove the 6 miles back to the stealership. Right side of engine bay covered with oil spray. Visible drip marks from VCG. Mechanic pinched the valve cover gasket when replacing same after valve inspection/adjustment.

They have agreed to clean the engine bay, replace VCG and refill oil.

I have to wonder what else they did haphazardly. WHAT ELSE should I have them redo while they are feeling sheepish?

Moral of the story - check your oil levels BEFORE leaving dealership, every time.

regards,
RC
Don't know that checking the oil level before you leave would have done much good in your case as I'm sure you didn't blow the oil out untill leaving and driving home. However, may be a good idea to check before leaving to make sure it even has oil in the pan!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The SECOND time they overfilled my oil (by a liter and a half!!), i forced them to do a compression test, just to make sure nothing got blown out because of too much pressure.
Now I have an Oil Pressure gauge. I can actually tell when they've over filled it just by the pressure.

the THIRD time, I changed dealers.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really cant tell how much oil sprayed out. The dipstick was just above the low-level line upon arriving back at dealership. The temp gauge did not exceed 210 on the short drive back, and i definitely had no warning lights. I presume the computer would have thrown a code or warning light of some kind if the oil pressure got seriously low. The oil pressure gauge from LeatherZ is looking very appealing though.

As for the DIY crowd, more power to ya. I know my personal limitations, and when to punt to a [theoretically] more experienced mechanic. The warranty extension is a good idea, i'll see if they'll go for it.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Picked up car, checked oil level prior to departing. Motor was warm. Oil was way above the "full" line, above the plastic gauge at the end of the dipstick actually. I found the [dis]service manager and had them drain all the oil and refill it with the proscribed 5.5L. Now it' finally right. Needless to say I won't be using them again...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts