BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a POV on getting windows tinted by the dealer or getting it done after purchase. I'm looking for a basic tint within/on the edge of Cali guidelines. When I was negotiating for another car that was on the lot, the dealer suggested that $399 was the cost built-in for tinting. I'm assuming a significant margin was built in since the CA was trying to drive up the purchase price. A couple questions...

1) Any impact to my warranty from doing the tint after market?
2) What's a reasonable price to pay for tint? Dealer? After market?

I've never had tinted windows before but hear they're a must living in AZ. Appreciate any other thoughts on things to consider. :dunno:

·
Registered
118 Posts
It I were you, I would go with after market. The price is cheaper and it will not affect your warranty. I too live in Arizona and tinted windows are a must.

·
Enjoying the ride
318 Posts
I'd go for an after market tint due to price. I've seen some threads discussing ceramic versus regular tint and possible interference with the shark antenna -- you might want to search the forums for those discussions before deciding. Tint is a must in So Cal so I'm sure you'll need it in AZ. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'd go for an after market tint due to price. I've seen some threads discussing ceramic versus regular tint and possible interference with the shark antenna -- you might want to search the forums for those discussions before deciding. Tint is a must in So Cal so I'm sure you'll need it in AZ. Good luck!
:rofl::rofl:
You're kidding, right?

dj

·
Enjoying the ride
318 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Tinting options

I have had a dozen cars here in AZ. In my experience, the dealer tint has always been far superior to the tint shop. The primary reason is that the dealers, whether they use an outside vendor or not, insist on what is called a "hard roll". That is, the water is hard squeeged from between the glass and the tint, resulting in a truer bond to the glass. The typical tint shop leaves a considerable amount of water between the glass and tint and sends you off to have the water dry out on the sun. Oftentimes, the bond doesn't take well and you will wind up with separation. If you go the tint shop route, ask for the hard roll process. The difference in price is often minor, but you are dealing with a $60K car, so step up.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
As far as I know, most dealers in the area take their cars to tint shops to tint. You'd certainly want to use quality tint shops.

If $400 is for ceramic tint, that's a pretty good price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently bought 08 535i cpo from East Bay BMW (Pleasanton CA). Per the salesman, if the non factory or non dealer tint is installed, and you have issues with Bluetooth or Nav, the dealer will have issues with warranty coverage with BMW. Apparently the metal in the aftermarket tint affects these systems. BMW uses ceramic tint.

In addition (indicated by salesman but not confirmed), Hendrick dealer group technicians (east bay BMW techs) that install the tint are trained by 3M. When they install the tint, they input the VIN and it cuts the material to size. They did such a great job on my BMW, I was trying to see if they would do my Honda but explained why they could not.

$600 for the rear and passenger windows. Not sure if it was good or bad price, It was a company car.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Wow

... Per the salesman, if the non factory or non dealer tint is installed, and you have issues with Bluetooth or Nav, the dealer will have issues with warranty coverage with BMW.

$600 for the rear and passenger windows. Not sure if it was good or bad price, It was a company car.
Complete nonsense regarding issues with BT and Nav with aftermarket tint.

$600 is more than double what I paid and my tint looks perfect. :dunno:

·
Registered
762 Posts
As far as I know...

Looking for a POV on getting windows tinted by the dealer or getting it done after purchase.....
Dealers do not do the tint job. They subcontract it out. Just find out who they use and go straight to the tint shop yourself. That will probably save you $100+. :thumbup:

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
There is no such thing as "BMW Tint"... any dealer that is selling you tint is selling you an aftermarket product, just as if you had gone out and bought it on your own. If you have any problems due to the tint, it won't matter if you had it installed at the BMW dealer or somewhere else, the BMW warranty is not covering it. Dealers sell it just like they sell tire & wheel warranties, clear bras, etc-- they make money on it. It might be more convenient to go through the dealer, just just make sure you are getting a good price on it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There is no such thing as "BMW Tint"... any dealer that is selling you tint is selling you an aftermarket product, just as if you had gone out and bought it on your own. If you have any problems due to the tint, it won't matter if you had it installed at the BMW dealer or somewhere else, the BMW warranty is not covering it. Dealers sell it just like they sell tire & wheel warranties, clear bras, etc-- they make money on it. It might be more convenient to go through the dealer, just just make sure you are getting a good price on it.
Exactly. The local tinter tints all of the cars at my local dealership (plus the other local dealerships). Go straight to him and it is cheaper - same exact product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly. The local tinter tints all of the cars at my local dealership (plus the other local dealerships). Go straight to him and it is cheaper - same exact product.
Ok, For all of you "technical jump to conclusion people" here is the details

1. My local dealer did subcontract it out in the past. They have many dealerships (hendrick -hendrick racing) across the US that they decided to do the tinting in their own dealerships so technically they are doing the work as a "sub-contractor" to the BMW portion of the dealership.. They received training from 3M which is probably better than the tinter down the street and around the corner. If your local dealer has done the same, I would take advantage of it.

2. Materials - NO they "may" not use the same material. The dealer in "most" cases has material specifications from BMW. The local guy may want to squeeze margins and use a diferent material if you do not specify. In addition, do your homework on the material. The ceramic has different properties than the standard film. I would not like to start a discussion on the difference between the two. If you are going to the place that dealer uses, ask them what BMW will accept for material and keep it documented. My dealer only offered me 4 choices for tint.

3. Warranty - No it wont void any warranty, however it may cause an "issue" with warranty coverage on the bluetooth and the nav. If you have ANY issues with these systems, you can rely on the dealer "or sub-contracted installer chosen by the BMW dealership" to resolve any issues that may arise. If you have any cosmetic or installation issues later on, they can be addressed at the time of service, the dealer would be responsible for the issue. I am not entirely sure if the BMW network or the specific dealer is responsible for any warranty issues. The tinting is listed on my sales contract, so I would assume any BMW dealer is responsible and can assist. If they would not I would argue the point. The down the street and around the corner guy may be out of business when you need assistance.

4. Loaner Car - My dealership gave me a loaner while they were doing the tint

5. Price savings compared to car - You just spent 40-50-60-70K for an automobile and you have an exposure for less than $200 savings.

6. Some of the fun is doing the research, making sure you eare getting a good "Value" for your money. Wouldn't you be suprised for a little extra you could have the interior of your car cooler during the summer with a little research. You would kick yourself if you found out a month after you put the $100 less film on. Look on the brightside, $100 buys a lot of sodas to keep you cool.

·
Registered
762 Posts
For all of you "technical jump to conclusion people" here is the details

1. [My local dealer] received training from 3M which is probably better than the tinter down the street and around the corner. If your local dealer has done the same, I would take advantage of it.

2. Materials - NO they "may" not use the same material. The dealer in "most" cases has material specifications from BMW. The local guy may want to squeeze margins and use a diferent material if you do not specify. In addition, do your homework on the material. The ceramic has different properties than the standard film. I would not like to start a discussion on the difference between the two. If you are going to the place that dealer uses, ask them what BMW will accept for material and keep it documented. My dealer only offered me 4 choices for tint.

5. Price savings compared to car - You just spent 40-50-60-70K for an automobile and you have an exposure for less than $200 savings.
1. Find a reputable tint shop = no difference = save money.
2. You don't think BMW is trying to save money? :dunno:
5. If someone told you you could save 30+% on something (assuming that something was as good as the "typical" price) would you not find that attractive? :confused:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The most ridiculous thing about Deltabimmer's points is the assumption that the guys in the BMW shop can put tint on better than the guy that does it for a living.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
Ok, For all of you "technical jump to conclusion people" here is the details

3. Warranty - No it wont void any warranty, however it may cause an "issue" with warranty coverage on the bluetooth and the nav. If you have ANY issues with these systems, you can rely on the dealer "or sub-contracted installer chosen by the BMW dealership" to resolve any issues that may arise. If you have any cosmetic or installation issues later on, they can be addressed at the time of service, the dealer would be responsible for the issue. I am not entirely sure if the BMW network or the specific dealer is responsible for any warranty issues. The tinting is listed on my sales contract, so I would assume any BMW dealer is responsible and can assist. If they would not I would argue the point. The down the street and around the corner guy may be out of business when you need assistance.
You are not getting the point. Installing tint, no matter who does it, will not directly void any warranty. But if you have any problem because of the tint, it will not be covered. It does not matter if it was installed at a BMW dealer by a BMW tech, subcontracted by the dealer to someone else, or if you took it to a tint shop yourself. BMW does not sell tint so whatever kind of tint that you get will not be covered under a BMW warranty. Your installer (the dealer or anyone else) will have to cover the repairs.

For the record, any accessories that are installed on your car that are not BMW accessories with a BMW part number are not covered by BMW, but by your dealer. So even if it is on the sales contract, you will need to work with the selling dealer if you have any problems. You can not go to another dealer for repair of your tint.

Feel free to get your tint done at the dealer if you want to, but as others here have suggested you could get a better deal and equal good (or better) install if you do your research and find a really good installer in your area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had an aftermarket guy install my tint. He's done it on my past infiniti, lexus and another bmw 335i. No issues at all. So long as you're going to a good aftermarket installer you shouldnt' have any problems. I would be weary of going to one of BMW's subcontracted installers. First of all they'll certainly overcharge you knowing they were referred from a BMW dealer. Secondly, you won't have much leverage for negotiation. I paid $250 for my entire car. Looks great, and definitely a must for a black interior.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the all the advice. I'm thinking aftermarket tint since that's who most dealers would use anyway. I'm all for saving a few bucks if there's no quality difference. I'll do some more research on ceramic vs. regular tint and the hard roll process. Anyone recommendations on tint shops in the Bay Area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the all the advice. I'm thinking aftermarket tint since that's who most dealers would use anyway. I'm all for saving a few bucks if there's no quality difference. I'll do some more research on ceramic vs. regular tint and the hard roll process. Anyone recommendations on tint shops in the Bay Area?
Is that the SF bay area? I can give you a shop in Pleasanton that BMW and Lexus used to use before they installed the tint at the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are not getting the point. Installing tint, no matter who does it, will not directly void any warranty. But if you have any problem because of the tint, it will not be covered. It does not matter if it was installed at a BMW dealer by a BMW tech, subcontracted by the dealer to someone else, or if you took it to a tint shop yourself. BMW does not sell tint so whatever kind of tint that you get will not be covered under a BMW warranty. Your installer (the dealer or anyone else) will have to cover the repairs.
Notice I said warranty "issue". As mentioned by JagConvert, there are possible issues with interference of the antenna. If it is installed via a dealer, this negates the issue, or places the issue with the dealer. We have one of the higher volume BMW dealership groups in the nation and they tend to see issues ahead of the curve.

No, It will not directly void your warranty

1 - 20 of 29 Posts