BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, silly question but I do have some doubts. I know every time I go into BMW service they read my FOB before any work is performed. I was just in but didn't have time to stay for a repair so declined but my key was downloaded.

My question is, can reading the FOB at BMW have any affects on a flash tune that is currently overriding the BMW software. Examples, like a Giac or Dinan flash that are permanent flashes to the DME?

I could swear my tune performance is down after my last FOB read but it makes no sense that this is possible from a read that only takes 15 seconds. So I have to ask for peace of mind.

Maybe we can hear from a BMW tech as well, on this one?

· Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not because they read your key, rather they might have updated your ECU, which replaced your tune with the latest stock tune.
So to be clear, no changes can be made to the car by just downloading the FOB information. In order to have any effect on software, they would have had to plug into the ECU port, right?

Thanks.

· Registered
4,167 Posts
So to be clear, no changes can be made to the car by just downloading the FOB information. In order to have any effect on software, they would have had to plug into the ECU port, right?

Thanks.
That should be correct. Note "should". Since car is capable of distinguishing different settings on different FOBs, why don't you try your second FOB and see how it feels?

Also, you are sure they didn't have access to ECU?

· Banned
10,511 Posts
Download changes nothing. Upload maybe - you should be searching/asking in the coding section - look around forums here - and searching the net for BMW coding sites.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to follow up on my earlier post.

It must have been a bad hair day or something, ie hot & humid, because the performance I thought I lost returned over the weekend. Plus I called Dinan today, and they verified "no way can an FOB read override the their tune unless they plug into the DME via the port".

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.