BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to this site, but am seeking help and I am getting desperate. I have a 2014 328i GT, and 3 weeks ago I had it in for it's regular oil change service. When I got my car back my entire system was not working, no navigation, no media, and no backup camera. I brought it back in to dealership to have it fixed, and they tried a dozen times to reprogram it with no success so they ordered me a new system. I was told on Friday (Jan 23rd) that they are not able to get the new system to work in my car as well and they have 'opened a case' on it. I have called dealership yesterday and today asking for updates, but they do not respond or return my calls after telling me they will check on it and get back with me. What should I do? I am starting to get really frustrated, and they don't seem to know how to fix my car.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,101 Posts
Who are you speaking with at the dealership? I'd try and get to the general manager, rather than the service advisors.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd be speaking with the GM as well as contacting the regional BMW rep.
Agreed. You know if they fail to re initialize the entire computer set up you get a new car.
Start picking colors.
Definitely call regional and GM.
Can't believe they totally screwed up the Nav and everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice, I went up there to speak with somebody and they are pretty much still where they started. They have got the backup camera to work, but still not the navigation or the radio/media. They said they have been on the phone with technical support trying to get it to work, and they are having an engineer look it to see what the problem is. I will check up with them in a few days, then I will start throwing fit, and see where I need to go from there. This is the second BMW I have owned and have never had any issues like this before.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I hope they gave you a BMW loaner. Did you lease or finance the car? If leased, I would contact BMW NA and ask them to waive a payment.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,760 Posts
They said ... they are having an engineer look it to see what the problem is. I will check up with them in a few days, then I will start throwing fit, .... This is the second BMW I have owned and have never had any issues like this before.
Not surprising, because it sounds very much like a fluke. For all the trouble they seem to be having, you probably have either multiple electronic failures and/or some bizarre problem with the car's CAN and/or MOST bus (basically, the internal networks that allow the car's various computers to communicate). This sort of thing can be hellish to diagnose, so have some patience.

Remember: "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar." If you throw a hissy fit, you can pretty much kiss good-bye all goodwill with your dealer, forever. That's not the customer you want to be if you ever need them to go to bat for you--say, if something expensive fails just after the warranty expires.

That said, educate yourself about your state's lemon laws. Usually, a car can be declared a lemon only after a certain number of failed, separate attempts to fix the same problem, and/or a certain number of days out of service (as many as 30, if not more). This again argues for patience and civility, as the manufacturer is entitled to a fair chance to repair the car before you are entitled to a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not surprising, because it sounds very much like a fluke. For all the trouble they seem to be having, you probably have either multiple electronic failures and/or some bizarre problem with the car's CAN and/or MOST bus (basically, the internal networks that allow the car's various computers to communicate). This sort of thing can be hellish to diagnose, so have some patience.

Remember: "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar." If you throw a hissy fit, you can pretty much kiss good-bye all goodwill with your dealer, forever. That's not the customer you want to be if you ever need them to go to bat for you--say, if something expensive fails just after the warranty expires.

That said, educate yourself about your state's lemon laws. Usually, a car can be declared a lemon only after a certain number of failed, separate attempts to fix the same problem, and/or a certain number of days out of service (as many as 30, if not more). This again argues for patience and civility, as the manufacturer is entitled to a fair chance to repair the car before you are entitled to a new one.
Yes I am being understanding and friendly with them, I avoid confrontation at all times. I know they are doing the best the can to repair it, I am just getting worried and hoping to get some insight into what could be going on. And the service manager there lacks customer service skills which does not make this situation any better. I just don't know what they could have done while they were changing my oil to cause such a big problem. Hopefully they will have it fixed this week, I just miss my baby, and wouldn't want to get a new one. Crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Navigation and Media requires an enabling code (FSC) each... the cause is most probably that your dealer cannot load them into your NBT unit. Perhaps the problem is that the CAN/MOST connection to the NBT is damaged.

Thank you all for the advice, I went up there to speak with somebody and they are pretty much still where they started. They have got the backup camera to work, but still not the navigation or the radio/media. They said they have been on the phone with technical support trying to get it to work, and they are having an engineer look it to see what the problem is. I will check up with them in a few days, then I will start throwing fit, and see where I need to go from there. This is the second BMW I have owned and have never had any issues like this before.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Navigation and Media requires an enabling code (FSC) each... the cause is most probably that your dealer cannot load them into your NBT unit. Perhaps the problem is that the CAN/MOST connection to the NBT is damaged.
Thanks for the insight. Is it likely such damage could have occurred during the service described by the OP? Is the connection itself easily repairable or is it all part of a single unit that will require the CAN/MOST to be be replaced, or from the earlier post have those units already been switched out?

·
Road or Beach
274 Posts
I would give them time up to a point. I had a new 335i that was in the shop for the most of it's initial 4mos. Changing HPFP, Fuel injectors etc. The SA and service guys are geared to keep working until they get things fixed. At some point if they can't you need to escalate to the Sm or dealer GM. In my case I went to the GM.

BMW does not want cars titled 'lemon' so they will try to resolve it through a buy back if they can get BMWNA to authorize it. In the case of my 335i that is what they did and they gave me 100% credit and a better equipped car at the same price. This will vary based on the age of the vehicle. The new 335i went through a couple of HPFPs over the 3 year lease but I never had an issue with my SA or dealer after the buy back.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Is it likely such damage could have occurred during the service described by the OP? Is the connection itself easily repairable or is it all part of a single unit that will require the CAN/MOST to be be replaced, or from the earlier post have those units already been switched out?
Only the dealer can answer that.

What I know is that original unit got messed up after service. Replaced and new unit is still messed up. That tells me that most probably what is messed up is something common to those two units -unless there was an alignment of the starts and two units got messed up randomly by destiny. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
and two units got messed up randomly by destiny. :D
That is such a great phrase.......randomly by destiny.....
Did you train to be a poet?

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alright, I'll throw something in here, stupid as it may sound. Could disconnecting the battery and letting the car sit for a minute or two and then reconnecting the battery sort of cold boot the system? Or, is that too simple of a solution?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes I am being understanding and friendly with them, I avoid confrontation at all times. I know they are doing the best the can to repair it, I am just getting worried and hoping to get some insight into what could be going on. And the service manager there lacks customer service skills which does not make this situation any better. I just don't know what they could have done while they were changing my oil to cause such a big problem. Hopefully they will have it fixed this week, I just miss my baby, and wouldn't want to get a new one. Crossing my fingers!
Every service visit they check and see if there are any software updates to your vehicle. Likely there was a software update that they tried to implement and, somehow, it bombed.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Alright, I'll throw something in here, stupid as it may sound. Could disconnecting the battery and letting the car sit for a minute or two and then reconnecting the battery sort of cold boot the system? Or, is that too simple of a solution?
I bet that the dealer did that with the original unit. And with the replaccement unit.

The question that I have is how a car was redelivered to a customer with a defective Nav after service to begin with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts