BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2010 335i OCT 5th. It came with a limited warranty and had the 168 point inspection and all the basics. About an hour I drive it off I had 5 warning lights pop up. Check Engine light, ABS, Break, the caution light, and a passenger restraint system failure light. I immediately pulled over and called the dealership. The sales rep said he spoke with the service department and was told they were sure it was a speed sensor and to not worry about it until I could make it back into town (I was on leave and was headed out of town) so I was suppose to take it in the day I returned but Hurricane Mathew prevented that. Well my leave is up and I'm in the military, we don't just get days off and we were short in personnel for watch so it took about a week and a half for me to get some time off. The morning I go to take it in it won't start. (Specifically it wouldnt turn over, the starter was working but it would just continue to click) I get it towed to the dealership and leave it there. Come to find out, the left fuel tank sensor went out and instead of having the quarter of a tank it said I had, it was empty and the fuel pump ran hot and burned out. They are relacinh the speed sensors at no cost but they are trying to charge me 1300 dollars for the pump and sensor replacement. I'm not sure what to do from here. I've set up an appointment with the manager. If that doesn't resolve it I will have to talk to legal because it would put a crunch in my account which in turn could get them blacklisted for Joint Base Charleston. I really don't want to be the sailor that gets Rick Hendricks blacklisted in Charleston S.C. Any advice? I've seen where BMW had some recalls for issues with the fuel system but my VIN didn't bring anything up.

·
Car guy since 1968
1,478 Posts
I think your best bet is to keep on friendly business terms with the dealership, and lean really hard on them for help with this. When you buy a car that has been checked over, you expect all parts to be functioning properly, and they were not. That's your primary arguing point.

You can also lean hard on the part of your story that you were called to service to help with hurricane damage, a noble and self-sacrificing act (etc., etc.)

The fact that it took you time to bring it in isn't relevant, although it certainly would have been easier for you and them if you had been able to return it immediately.

Bottom line, the fuel pump failed because the tank went dry when you didn't fill it. You could have filled the tank (or at least put a few gallons in) at any time to be safe, and in fact, why are you driving around on a quarter of a tank??? It's not BMW's fault or the dealership's fault.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I don't know about the legal side.
If you can't solve it with them buy the pump and sensor and do it yourself or take it to an indy

here is the part #1 on the picture: (double check your model)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PM73-USA-01-2010-E90N-BMW-335i&diagId=16_0601
I think #2, the driver side sensor is fine, that's the one that showed quarter tank.

enter the part number here to buy it: getbmwparts.com
they sell it for $355 that includes the sensor and the pump

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel gauge read between a quarter and half a tank of gas. I didn't really think that was much of an issue. It isn't exactly driven a lot. I work 14 hours go get food and come back. That was the extent of driving. I had planned on getting fuel when I left that morning. There was no indication of low fuel or a damaged of malfunctioning fuel sensor whatsoever. I was told it was just the speed sensors and that I would be fine. There was no way of me knowing that even though it read a little over a quarter that it was a dry tank.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Charleston is my hometown and I am sorry that is happening to you. That dealership has really bad sales reviews and they were right on cause I walked out of their and bought my car in blufton BMW , Hilton head. They were really rude to me. That being said, their service Dept has always been very fair and honest and they are the only Bmw dealer in town. I do not think they gave you very good advice to keep driving the car after all of those warning lights came on, they should really take responsibility. I don't won't to be harsh here, but you should have just told them to send a tow truck to you then. They probably would have done that since you just bought the car and they would have fixed the issues. It's a tough call now that you continued driving it after the lights came on. You say it has a limited warranty, it's not cpo cause it's to old. What kind of warranty is it?

I agree , don't go in their all Pissed off. I don't think they are trying to screw you over just talk with them, tell them your concerns and see if they will help you out. You don't know until you try, it seems pretty simple that you just bought the car, they should be willing to help you out! Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't go in their all Pissed off. I don't think they are trying to screw you over just talk with them, tell them your concerns and see if they will help you out. You don't know until you try, it seems pretty simple that you just bought the car, they should be willing to help you out! Good luck!!!!!
Thank you for your service!

I agree it is best to maintain a respectful relationship, as cordial as possible, but be firm.

It is to your credit that you reported the issues immediately and followed their advice. Clearly something was missed and they should make it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts