BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We are new to both the i3 and BMW, so bear with me on this first post here.

We (my wife and I) are currently trying to decide between getting a 2016 i3 REX (60 Ah) now vs waiting for the 2017 i3 REX (94 Ah). We've had the opportunity to do several extended weekends with the i3 REX (we've had the newer 2016 REX as well as the older 2014 REX that had much shorter range) and feel that for 95+% of our trips, range would not be an issue, however, there are a few longer trips that raise some concern.

My "office" in Long Island is approx 126 miles one way from home. The current REX willl most likely go that distance and I'm ok with having to recharge AND refuel once I get there but I've not actually driven that route to prove it out. I always stay at least overnight, more often I stay over 2-3 nights when I go to the office. I usually make this trip at least 2x/month.

The other longer trips are to Washington DC and Boston, MA. DC trips are usually every 6-8 weeks, about 200 miles one way and again always at least an overnight stay. Boston is approx 280 miles (the route we take) and always overnight. With the 2016, DC will require a recharge and/or refuel, Boston perhaps 2x recharge and refuel.

I've read the 94 Ah i3 will have an estimated range of 114 miles (almost the distance to the office, so no need to worry about recharge/refuel) but I haven't seen what the combined range will be.

We'll be taking a 2 yr lease, so even if we go with the 2016, we'll be in the 94 Ah not too long down the road. But, if I can do the 200 mile trip to DC on 1 charge/fuel, that may be a compelling enough argument to wait for the 2017.

As for configuration, we'd get it fully loaded:
* Giga
* Park Assist
* Tech & Drive Assit
* Harman Kardon
* Moonroof (if 2017)

Thanks for everyone's input/feedback.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Out the door, the 2016 REx can use 1.9g of the larger tank to keep the desired classification from CAFE. Because of the larger battery capacity on the 2017 (it's optional), and the CAFE rule that the gasoline assisted range can't be larger than the battery range, the 2017 will enable the use of the whole tank. You should be able to get about 100-miles more once the REx is enabled on the 2017...the exact amount hasn't been verified yet that I've seen. One thing that is starting to happen is the installation of CCS units along the I-93 corridor in the northeast at about 50-mile intervals. Those should help considerably once completed unless there's a waiting line to reach an available plug!

Some people have taken quite long trips in their i3. Personally, I prefer my other car for longer trips as I find it more comfortable, but that's a personal thing. It's certainly more convenient being able to go 500-miles in it without having to stop multiple times to refuel/recharge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Jim.

We went to DC a few weeks ago (not in an i3) and I was looking to see where the CCS spots were. Tesla has 6 plugs at the rest area in DE, but we can't plug into those, bummer. On that trip we took our 2016 VW GTi SE (my daily driver at the moment & a blast to drive). The i3 will be car #2 (ok, technically car #3 since our daughter has her car) and I need to research the flexible mobility loaner program, 14 days/year is more than what we'd probably need anyway.

I'm inclined to NOT wait till he 2017 show up, but the jury is still out.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can't get my CA to get one so I can do the extended test drive. 2-year lease is a good idea imo. The technology is changing too rapidly to commit to a 3-year lease.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts