BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i'm a new member on here and will be buying my first car soon with a budget of around 20k. I live in Canada but i only plan on using this car until it starts snowing. I've always liked BMW's especially the E46 M3 :yikes: but i really want to get a 6 series. The look of it is so unique plus the engine ouff. I was thinking of getting a camaro ss convertible but the 6 series has a better value for it since its older and has deprecated a lot more than the camaro. If any of you own 2006 to 2010 please let me know if this is reliable or if it will just cause head ache after head ache.

Reason i chose the 6 series is it's cheap, bang for your buck, doing a muffler and resonator delete on it will just be orgasmic, and drop top goodness or even a coupe will do, the look of it is amazing. If you know of any other possible models i've over looked let me know please, i'd prefer a convertible and i wouldn't want a 5 or 3 series. That being said if you know any other brands that you've owned and match: V8 goodness, Drop top, amazing looks, good price, low headaches please let me know. I will do as much research as i can seeing its my first car and i don't want to buy a lemon and i got a lot of free time on my hands.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's nothing cheap about buying a 10 year-old BMW, even if the sale price seems low. Maintenance and repair costs can be breathtaking. The cars are awesome to drive, and addictive, but don't go into this thinking for a second that you'll be able to spend your 20K and be done for a while. Set aside 3-4K in a savings account as a car fund after you buy it, and you'll be off to a realistic start. Look into what it costs to get a new battery, or do brakes, control arms, cooling system stuff, transmission fluid, or even an oil change, and you'll get a sense of what you're up against here. These are all common repairs on high-milage Bimmers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You mentioning this will be your first car lets us assume that you aren't too skilled in working on them? If you dedicate the entire 20k to a car fund you can spend around 12 to 14k for a car and have the rest of the funds as backup. I would suggest spend a few days reading all the sections 5,6,7 series learning what all can go wrong with these cars. Start looking for cars and don't settle for the first one. Learn what all service has been done to it and how long ago. Find a good independent shop that works on BMW's also. Wanting a 6 series is stepping into the deep end and hope you know how to swim.
I just purchased an '08 a couple weeks ago and am already getting all the parts together for a valve stem seal replacement. This is far from my first car and I have something else to drive while I have it torn apart for a week doing my detailed work.

·
Registered
611 Posts
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731460

Read the PDF and you learn all what to expect with a V8 bimmer and just in general maintenance wise. I have a high mileage V8-N62 and i've been averaging 3-4K a year to maintain it, but then again im approaching 180,000 miles. From tires, valve seals, transmission megatronics and transmission oil changes, and software patches, repairs start to add up. Make sure you find a great indy that know these cars and can find work arounds for big jobs. For example the dealership told me it would cost about $8,000 to do my valve seals I chuckled and scoured my area for a bmw tech and find a guy who did the job for $2,000. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts