BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 535i sport and am considering trading up to a 2013. I test drove the car today and while the features inside are nicer, smarter, etc; the drive itself felt very different. The drive was obviously awesome but seemed to lack the sturdiness and sportier feel that the E60 has. I don't want to say it felt clunky but certainly a less aggressive feel. Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I completely agree with you in the fact that both cars feel different to drive. That's why I have not sold or traded my E60 2010 550i. When getting behind a wheel of an F10, it feels nice. The technology is updated. The smell of a new car is intoxicating. However, when I am done with the test drive and get back into my car and start driving, I just don't see a compelling reason why I would take an F10 over E60. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Just repeating what I have heard elsewhere on the forum that the F10 drive experience has been "dumbed down" from the E60. I have no personal experience with this, but I thought I'd share the comment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I totally agree with you, OP. The F10 is a luxury car, NOT a sport sedan. If you are looking for another driver's car I'd suggest looking at Cadillac, either CTS or ATS depending on your desires.
If you're looking for a luxury car then look at Lexus. They drive very much like current BMW models and have much better reliability.
I plan on holding on to my E60 for as long as it makes maintenance/expense sense. Every time I drive it, even just going to the mall, it puts a smile on my face.
Whenever I've gone to test drive each new BMW model over the last 5 years, I always go into the dealership with a smile on my face and walk out feeling very let down. Very sad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This. The new bimmers are very much so a disappointment where feel and response is concerned. I would love the updated tech, refinement, and styling if it could be had with old school BMW goodness.

Doesn't seem to be available though, atleast not from BMW.

·
Gear Jammer
193 Posts
The current F30 3 series is closer to the size of an E60 than the F10. The F10 is a massive boat of a luxury car; the E60 is a sport sedan. Remember that the 5 gained a whopping 1000 pounds and 7 inches of wheelbase from E60-F10.

If you want a new car closer to the E60 then get a 3 Series. Or you could just keep it. Case in point; my 525 is a unicorn because it is a manual AWD. Beast in the snow and WOT launches with no wheelspin.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
The current F30 3 series is closer to the size of an E60 than the F10. The F10 is a massive boat of a luxury car; the E60 is a sport sedan. Remember that the 5 gained a whopping 100 pounds and 7 inches of wheelbase from E60-F10.

If you want a new car closer to the E60 then get a 3 Series. Or you could just keep it. Case in point; my 525 is a unicorn because it is a manual AWD. Beast in the snow and WOT launches with no wheelspin.
You make good points, however, I found that the 2016 340i is actually 40 lbs. heavier than my 2007 530xi. The wheelbase on my E60 is about 3 inches longer, overall length is 9 inches longer, and 1-2 inches wider and higher. But you're right, the 3er has gained some dimensions. The question is, is the F30 as spirited as an E60?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I completely agree with you in the fact that both cars feel different to drive. That's why I have not sold or traded my E60 2010 550i. When getting behind a wheel of an F10, it feels nice. The technology is updated. The smell of a new car is intoxicating. However, when I am done with the test drive and get back into my car and start driving, I just don't see a compelling reason why I would take an F10 over E60. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.
I think the different "feel" you are referring to is the introduction of EPS in the Fxx models. I agree that the feel/handling is quite different in the F10 vs the E60 and (to me) the steering is almost non-responsive.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Never could warm up to the F10. Am hoping the G30 is better. If not, I don't know what I'll do after my E60. You can drive 700 miles in a day, and come out still comfortable. It is quick and responsive, for its type, on two-lane blacktop, where the faster you go, the smaller the car gets. It is as comfortable and rock-steady at 100 as it is at 50.

Tough hurdle to overcome in a next car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the same feeling after an autocross event where I got to drive an F10 535. The newer technology is great but my 2010 550 felt more sporty and handled better. I have 84,000 miles on it now and most of the common issues have been taken care of under warranty. Now I am just waiting on the valve stem seal issue to come up. I really don't know what other car I would want after this. This is this the first car I owned that I haven't wanted to trade it in after a few years of ownership. I enjoy driving it everyday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have the non-turbo N52 530xi wagon so I haven't been plagued by some of the common problems on the N54s (turbos, HPFP, etc.). that being said, if this car were crashed tomorrow, I would immediately start looking for an 2009-2010 535 and absolutely avoid anything 2011-newer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will never forget the parting words of my dealer's sales advisor when I bought mine ... In essence he said I was getting a sportier drive with the E60 "the way a 5-series is supposed to drive". He mentioned he thought the F10 was dumbed down to make it more appealing to a wider audience.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
I will never forget the parting words of my dealer's sales advisor when I bought mine ... In essence he said I was getting a sportier drive with the E60 "the way a 5-series is supposed to drive". He mentioned he thought the F10 was dumbed down to make it more appealing to a wider audience.
Gee, that's sure to instill confidence that you made a good buying decision! Way to go, dealer! :rofl:

·
Gear Jammer
193 Posts
^^^The dealer was right. The E60 is a sport sedan. The F10 is a Cadillac that can be optioned with a crapton of horsepower.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
My 535 has been rock solid. I had it in to the indy for a state inspection, and he had 3 760s there, and an E39 that I was looking over. His lead mechanic was elbow deep in the 760. 'Nice, powerful car' says me. 'Yeah, but they are full of problems. I wouldn't take one as a gift'. "What about my car?", I said. He said "I would take it in a heartbeat, those things are solid".

When I paid for the inspection, the owner of the shop (it is just him, his lead mechanic, and a C mechanic, and they all work) said "I saw you looking at my 540, it is the perfect size, and an overall great car." "What if it crapped out on you?", I asked. Then I would get your car, the 535, but the 2009 or 10. If I'm gonna get that car, may as well get the updated iDrive."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts