BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I closely considered a replacement for my 540i with a new 530xi, but I have decided against it... It is just so hard to order a new 5 series knowing that the engine wil likley be changed next year... esp. with the BMW literature saying that the 328's new engine is better than the older 330's (and 530's engine)...Now I know that most who would consider a 5 would not do a 3. and vice versa... but the old engine and the electronic difficulties have swayed me away from the 5.. until the next generation... I am going with a 3 until 1-2 years into the next iteration of the 5... Any thoughts? Mistake??? It was a very difficult decision.
On a second note... the new 3 series coupe is so darn sexy that it is hard to resist!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
stick with the 5er, you know why too!

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
I LOVE the E90...just too small

The kids feet rest on the seat back.
The E60 gives me a few more inches anyway, but they still kick it to death.
It's a rental (lease) anyway, so what are you going to do :dunno:

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
That's strange

I'm with Mullman. With a young child, I like the extra room that the 5 provides, and the smoother ride on the freeway is a nice bonus. I do miss the knife edge handling and response of the 3er, but the 5 fits me better at this point in my life.

However, getting the 3er because the engine is newer seems strange. If that were the case, did you consider a Toyota Prius? That has a far more advanced drivetrain - very new. Turbos have been around for more than 30 years. BTW, my wife is currently driving a Prius, so I used that example, but feel free to substitute any car with a new engine.

My suggestion is to get the car which fits your lifestyle best. If you are a track junkie, get the Porsche 911 or Noble M12S. But I see that you chose a 540i before, so you needed the extra room that the 3er couldn't provide at that time? Perhaps you have less to carry now. So how about an M3?

Both the 3er and 5er are fine cars - I'd look at more than the engine to make the choice though. Have you considered the 550i? It weighs about the same as the 535i will, and provides much more power, and is a new engine.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
The E90 is one sweet ride, and feels a lot like your E39. Agree that the E90 coupe is sexy, and the convertible will likely be more so.

However, YOU WILL MISS THE TORQUE. The 550 is such a great improvement, that if you need 4 doors (sounds like you may not) it is really "the" way to go.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
mullman said:
I LOVE the E90...just too small

The kids feet rest on the seat back.
The E60 gives me a few more inches anyway, but they still kick it to death.
It's a rental (lease) anyway, so what are you going to do :dunno:
Buy the seat organizers that you hang from the front seat headrest -- there's storage for their junk and they can kick it and your car stays clean.

Edited to add: Your daughter is very cute, even if she kicks your car.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Different kind of car, but that new 3 Coupe is a hot looking car - if you don't need the space in the 5, the 3 will probably be a ton of fun. I'd think about it too - either way will be a great car.

mullman showing off his daughter again - she is too darn cute.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
The pic was not to show off one of the girls (I have two) "again" ;)
But I should not show favoritism, here is a pic of both...

back to the matter at hand, I am pretty sure the E90 has larger internal dims than the E39.
So in that case the original poster may be OK with an E90.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Both models are wonderful cars and we deliberated between the two. In the end it came down to rear leg room, shoulder room front and back, trunk space and (IMHO) the extra fine looks of the 5er. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
mdsbuc said:
Both models are wonderful cars and we deliberated between the two. In the end it came down to rear leg room, shoulder room front and back, trunk space and (IMHO) the extra fine looks of the 5er. :thumbup:
+1 :thumbup: IMO, Nothing beats the sexyness of a black 5er at night. :rofl: Both great cars though.

-e60lover

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
One thing about a potential new engine coming out for MY2008 on the 5-series, is we will probably see excellent financials, very low MFs, etc., on these cars to move out the inventory and convince folks to not wait for the new engine.

This same scenario occured in Spring of 2005 for the 545i: I got a MF of 0.0013 (including 0.0003 ED adder) and a residual of 61%. My cap cost on the car was actually a hair under 60k fully loaded! :) :thumbup:

BMW WILL make it hard for you to wait for the new engine and spend your money before it shows!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I came really close to picking the 3 over the 5 as well. While I have no regrets about my choice, I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to have the 3 to toss around. Such a fun car. In a perfect world I would have both!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mullman, you may want to invest in a shotgun to keep on the porch when prospective suitors come to the door in another 10 years...wait, i mean another 20 years :rofl:

mullman said:

back to the matter at hand, I am pretty sure the E90 has large dims than the E39.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
mullman said:

back to the matter at hand, I am pretty sure the E90 has large dims than the E39.
Mullman, Very adorable girls you have there. This thread has been officially highjacked :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Well, since the thread has been hijacked, I may well join mullman in securing a shotgun.... :)

Attachments

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
mullman said:

back to the matter at hand, I am pretty sure the E90 has larger internal dims than the E39.
Now WAIT a minute!

In photo #1, is (properly restrained) daughter #2 wearing the same dress as (unrestrained) daughter #1 in photo #2? Not only is your garage way too neat, but there is way too much Lilly Pulitzer in your family!

And I don't think a shotgun is going to do it - I think you may need a couple of .50 caliber machine guns..... :violent: Great looking girls - I bet they look like their mother, and if so, you are triply blessed.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
sbb said:
I closely considered a replacement for my 540i with a new 530xi, but I have decided against it... It is just so hard to order a new 5 series knowing that the engine wil likley be changed next year... esp. with the BMW literature saying that the 328's new engine is better than the older 330's (and 530's engine)...
BMW was referring to the E46 330 not the E90 330. The current 530 has the new E90 engine (though older E60 530s had the same engine as the E46 I think).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can I just say that, as a father of a 16 month old, I think it is so cool that there are people on this forum that have families and yet are so into their cars. Very cool.

It goes to show you that you could still love cars even when you're "grown up."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts