BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have driven my 2003 325xi til now and kept it very clean, but ran around 100k.
I've been paying mechanics to fix the problems like replacing axil, coil replacement, break pad exchange and alignment, etc or self install or fix small things.

I am considering selling my car though since I drive 70+ miles to work everyday and have no time to fix the problems when it occurs, and getting more expensive since it's mature.

So, my question is.. is it really getting more expensive and time consuming as it gets older? I love my 325xi, so if not, I wanna keep fixing and maintain its good look and performance to work as long as I can handle.

If it's better to sell for the reasons, what's a good way to sell. I once considered buying a new car last year and heard they pay so little for my old friend 325xi. And I didn't wanna give away my old friend at that price to a just dealer to get an alt.

I live in the DC metro. Is there a good place to sell used bmw in this area? Would a bmw dealer treat my old friend well since they are bmw? Or should I sell it personally using online ads if I need to.

Thanks in adv.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you love it, keep it! You will take a big hit at trade-in. At the same time, you can get lucky if you do a private sell, but I can't see how. If keeping it, some things you might have to wrench yourself - you can do what most guys here do: when something fails, fix everything in that area or that goes with it...

Good-luck in your decision..!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Any BMW will cost a lot to maintain relative to a Toyota or Ford. Cost of buying new or newer BMW will be high and you will not know how well a used BMW was maintained, which is a disadvantage for you since you know how your car has been maintained. You will end up doing the same maintenance on a newer BMW you have already done on your car plus make car payments for a newer car. Unless you want to get out of BMW ownership, I would keep the car unless you get a killer deal on a ZHP or M3 if one pops up. YMMV.

·
Yankee
308 Posts
I decided to keep my 2003 325xi and I've got 110K on it now. For the most part the repairs have been small, and the ones that I need help on my husband helps me with. :) Believe me, I'm looking forward to the day when I can purchase something newer, but for right now I'm going to keep the car I have. I purchased it at 30K so its still the original clutch...I'm pretty proud of that. ;) Not sure if this helped you or not, good luck in your decision. Beautiful car BTW...I plow through snow banks around here like you wouldn't believe! I have so much fun with it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 2001 330xi and I'm very happy. Had to take it to the mechanic a few times but that's most likely because the guy who owned it before me did keep it up to date as I intend to

1 - 6 of 6 Posts