BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I posted a few weeks ago about my indecision as to if i should go with and e36 or e46 M3. Based on some valid point from the people that responded i had settled on an e36 being my best option. As i stated in my previous post i absolutely refuse to buy a car that i cannot properly maintain, so an e46 would be right on the edge of what i could see myself spending on a car. I started looking at what was available on the market around me and found a few decent examples of e36's. I was looking in the $11,000-$17,000 range. Ideally i would like a car that was low millage and one owner. The best deal i found was a nice 1997 silver coupe, one owner, 42,500 miles, all service record and they want $15,000. The thing is though that a co-worker (die-hard Porsche 911 nut) showed me a 1987 911sc with 68,000 miles for 11,000. So, i now have a second dilemma that i would like your help on. I have driven both cars (well another 1988sc actually) so i know what they are both like. Here are the pros and cons as i see them:

1997 BMW e36 M3
Pros:
Newer car
More reliable engine
Easier to drive at the limit
Potential for occasional use in the winter (oh yeah...I'm in Connecticut so we get to have fun in the snow for a third of the year)

Cons:
More expensive initially
More common than the 911sc
Resale value may not be as high

1987 Porsche 911sc
Pros:
Less expensive initially
Potential for high resale value
ITS AN AIR COOLED 911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:
Potential valve issues may mean $$$$$$
Scary beast at the limit

Okay, so this is my own opinion, i admit i may be wrong on some of the generalization i made about either car. I am more then willing to listen to any opinion on the matter. I obviously understand that i am posting this on a BMW forum so the views expressed maybe slight scewed, but i would just like some input. Please also keep if i acquire either car it will be stowed for most of the winter (i have a beater camry coupe).

Thanx in advance.

·
<<<Buddy
876 Posts
Why not buy both!!! But if your going to get a Porsche, buy a 928. the 911 is a glorified Volkswagon.

My2Cents

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
An E36 M3 is hardly a classic, and the US version isn't exactly a beast.

People wouldn't hate you for owning a classic 911, they'd hate you for owning a new one. I'd go with the flat 6-cylinder rear engined Porsche! Handling won't be as good but who cares.

·
Registered
197 Posts
911 and maybe a cosmetic update to flash it up.
the 911 will still turn heads at any age.

"glorified Volkswagon" come on show a little class, it is miles more advanced, bit like saying a e36 m3 is a glorified 318is. It would be more closely related.

I wouldn't ever knock back a m3 of any vintage but buy the 911 drive it enjoy it and in a couple of years buy the m3...
To be honest I would prefer to buy a few old classics than 1 brand new one...waste of cash, I mean if you have that much dosh good luck to ya, but I would rather buy some more property that would make me money if you know what I mean.

·
FixItFaster
1,936 Posts
911 without a question, the engine unlike what you said is extremly reliable, I personally work on bmw and porsche along with many other european makes, and I love bmw, but I would kill for a porsche. 911 will increase in value as it gets older and you can drive it hard everyday all day without worries, the m3, not as reliable but still a very fun and a worthy car for the cost.
11 grand however is very cheap, so if I were you I would be sceptical about buying it, do you know of the cars service history?? Is it the original paint? Not many people really know how to work on these cars, although they might say they do, most don't. So theres a good chance a non-porsche tech has worked on it in the past, which could mean major issues in the future.

I would buy the most expensive car you can afford, don't cheap out, or the car will be just that, cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts