BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma:

Ordered a 2003 CIC, Orient Blue/Gray, PP, CWP, SP, Hard Top, 18" Wheels, PDC on July 13, 2002. Car finished production in October, and is due at my dealership today. Dealer is in the Midwest, and is the "only game in town". Dealer claims that he'll only discount $500 of MSRP, since they can sell the car to anybody else.

When I was at the dealership last week, I noticed another 2003 CIC on the new car lot, indicating that despite the timeframe when I ordered the car, they didn't even concede one of their production spots for my order.

Dealer also wants $430 to install alarm, and other ripoffs ...

At this point, I am tempted to concede my $1000 downpayment, rather than pay these guys $3000 - $4000 over invoice, and just "walk away". I am somewhat surprised these dealerships believe they can get away with such arrogance. Am I just working with a bad dealer, or is this typical experience (especially for those in markets where dealers can't be played against each other)?

Any comments and/or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Don't take it personally. Sounds like market forces are at work... don't blame the dealership -- they're just charging what they can. That's what sales is. If supply is way behind demand in your area, the price is going to go up.

Sounds like you need to figure out if it's worth the savings to get the car somewhere it can be bought for a lower price. Even if it means major inconvenience.

My advice: Take a week's vacation, buy the car from Jon and Franco at Cutter in Santa Barbara, and drive it home! I bet you'd have a fantastic time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. This is my 3rd BMW, and I travel extensively for my job, so the car is a weekend car. I've thought about "out of market" dealerships, if for no other reason than for a different customer service experience, but I was "hoping" that I would have a better experience with the dealership from whom I've bought with previously - so much for customer retention!

I understand your comment about market forces, and I have the flexibility to go "out of town" - a fact which seems lost on the dealership. I've also noticed that it's difficult to get quotes through the Internet buying services. When I bought my 328i 3 years ago, I was able to use CarsDirect.com pricing as a negotiation tool, but this sales channel (i.e. carsdirect, autovantage, autobytel, etc.) seems to be "closed out" of the BMW distribution channel, or at least, it's much more regionalized.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Don't be discouraged this close to picking up your new car. This is probably the most normal reaction you can have when you are not being treated like 'the customer'. I understand how you feel as I went through the same thing as you. The dealers always pull some cr*p that manages to piss off the customer but then you have to think about it and realize that this is what dealers do.

They sell cars and try to make the most money they can from the customer . . .

So what the heck am I saying, don't stress on it, buy the car and don't worry about it. From what I understand the Convertible should be anywhere from $500 to $1000 off MSRP so at least your dealer isn't being a pig and they are giving some discount.

About the Alarm, my dealer wanted a lot more then that plus I didn't think I needed an Alarm so I said forget it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you have any sort of understanding (better yet, anything in writing) about the price when you order the car? If so, you may be able to argue that you have a contract with the dealer (nothing you can do about it if they want to re-neg on the deal, but it's worth a try). As for the alarm, many people have ordered from pacificbmw.com and DIY the alarm -- that could save you some money. Just so you know, a dealer quote of $430 for an alarm is not unusual -- my dealer's initial quote was much higher but I talked him down using the quotes from the internet places.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pricing aspect of this is interesting ...

The reason for ordering the car in July, was to try to take delivery in September/October, however, in July, the dealership didn't have pricing on the 03's (this didn't come out until early-Sept.)

Dealer was glad to take the down payment, and wrote the order using '02 MSRP pricing (of course, I never had to sign anything - all done over the phone with a credit card).

As it turns out, BMW increased the pricing on the 03's by about $500 from the '02's, so, in essence, I'm buying an '03 for '02 MSRP.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Re: Re: Decisions, Decisions (Semi-Rant) ...

DougDogs said:

A lot of this message makes no sense :dunno: or is there a typo about PDC in July on an 03 car:dunno:

And how can you order a car, with a down payment, without a contract including a negociated, FIRM price???

smells like troll bait to me*******************
PDC = Park Distance Control, right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow. That sounds like SF Bay Area pricing which is notorious for lower-than-average discounting.

So my math makes invoice out to be a little over $46K (45810 + whatever MACO is in your area). MSRP is $49915 so if we assume $400 for MACO then they're making about $3200 on the car. That works out to be about 7% over invoice.

That seems a little high but it is a low-volume and probably higher margin car.

You might want to try running the numbers through edmunds.com and see what their "True Market Value" pricing looks like. That should at least give a feel for whether you're getting a good deal given the area.

Your call. As you said, you could always go out of market and see what you can get elsewhere.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

- Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts