BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our way home from the Mountains today, and BOOM "Engine Malfunction" again!!!! Can you freakin' believe it??? Just got the car back a few weeks ago and it happened again!!! THIRD TIME!! They're taking the car back. I no longer want it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Damn!!! Sorry to hear Fitz. Did you call your dealer? What did they have to say? Did you buy your car or lease it? Hope I won't have to go through the same experience but I want to be prepared.

By the way, what car is next for you?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bmr. Yeah, pain in the ass. I have not talked to my SA yet since they were closed today. I will call my sales associate tomorrow as well as BMW NA. Not sure what I will get next. Even after all this, I am still a BMW lover. I just think I am gonna stay away from the twin turbo engine. Maybe an X5 since we do have a house in Big Bear and the x-drive would be nice. I just don't know. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
How about a 550i? I saw a couple at the dealership a month or so ago when my injector was getting replaced. They're hot cars, and cheap right now too. If my 535i holds out I may get rid of it in a year or so and get a new Camaro SS. I will definitely wait until the second year model though. I had three Camaros in the past, a 1994, 1998 and a 2001 Z28. Never had a problem with any of them. Will be a big change from and E60 to a big bad muscle car, eh? :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New camaro's are awesome looking though. I had two back in the early 90's. That would be a fun car to own when they come out. And cheaper too. 550i would be nice, except the gas mileage. But I do like they way they look with the sport package. And at least we know that engine is pretty much trouble free, unlike the TT.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
New camaro's are awesome looking though. I had two back in the early 90's. That would be a fun car to own when they come out. And cheaper too. 550i would be nice, except the gas mileage. But I do like they way they look with the sport package. And at least we know that engine is pretty much trouble free, unlike the TT.
I think a new '08 550i can be found right now for about the same price we paid for our 535i's. I'm really tempted to trade mine in right now. But I think I'll wait. I just hope my 535i doesn't turn out to be a lemon. I do love the car and it's been behaving quite nicely since the fuel injector was replaced. I just had it detailed yesterday and it looks awesome.

Good luck tomorrow and let me know what happens.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a new '08 550i can be found right now for about the same price we paid for our 535i's. I'm really tempted to trade mine in right now. But I think I'll wait. I just hope my 535i doesn't turn out to be a lemon. I do love the car and it's been behaving quite nicely since the fuel injector was replaced. I just had it detailed yesterday and it looks awesome.

Good luck tomorrow and let me know what happens.
Will do. Have a great night.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this time it wasn't even fuel pump/injector related. It was the "waste gate" for one of the turbos that failed. Not even sure what that means, but it's just one more thing to add to the list of problems.

·
Registered
2021 BMW X6
175 Posts
Do these problems exist on 2009 535i s also or just 08 for some reason. Just got a 2009 535i last Monday, cant imagine getting into this kind of troubles!

Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got almost 23mpg on a trip this weekend and wasn't taking it too easy. I average 19.5mpg and average 10-20mph over PSL. You would love the 550i.
I got average 30 mpg on the way to Vegas, and I wasn't really taking it easy either. That is one thing I do really love is the better than average fuel economy. I do better than their stats say I should. But I would love to have that torquey V8, for sure. Definitely an option. Lets just hope gas prices stay down, then the gas mileage won't bother me.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Not even sure what that means, but it's just one more thing to add to the list of problems.
The turbo is driven by exhaust gas coming out of the exhaust manifolds. When turbo boost is not needed, the exhaust gas that drives the turbo is shunted around the turbo via a passage that is controlled by the waste gate (a valve) which in turn is controlled by an actuator managed by the engine control software.

When you are idling, the waste gate is partially open so the turbo isn't spinning at full speed. When you step down and need crisp acceleration, the waste gate closes and allows the exhaust gas to spin up the turbo very quickly. If the waste gate sticks open, you never get the turbo boost the engine needs. If it sticks closed, you get too much boost for the driving conditions and could (i suppose) damage the engine.

Since there are 2 turbos (one for each 3 cylinders), there are 2 waste gates and 2 actuators.

You may have read about the turbo lag issue in the DME software - its where the software holds the waste gate open for a short period after you step down on the accelerator - causing the turbos to not spin up immediately when full power is desired. This was programmed to eliminate a waste gate noise some found objectionable. There is a software update to restore original waste gate behavior... Available on request, as I understand.

So much for my feeble attempt to explain.... Hope you find it helpful. :)

Sorry to hear about the issue.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The turbo is driven by exhaust gas coming out of the exhaust manifolds. When turbo boost is not needed, the exhaust gas that drives the turbo is shunted around the turbo via a passage that is controlled by the waste gate (a valve) which in turn is controlled by an actuator managed by the engine control software.

When you are idling, the waste gate is partially open so the turbo isn't spinning at full speed. When you step down and need crisp acceleration, the waste gate closes and allows the exhaust gas to spin up the turbo very quickly. If the waste gate sticks open, you never get the turbo boost the engine needs. If it sticks closed, you get too much boost for the driving conditions and could (i suppose) damage the engine.

Since there are 2 turbos (one for each 3 cylinders), there are 2 waste gates and 2 actuators.

You may have read about the turbo lag issue in the DME software - its where the software holds the waste gate open for a short period after you step down on the accelerator - causing the turbos to not spin up immediately when full power is desired. This was programmed to eliminate a waste gate noise some found objectionable. There is a software update to restore original waste gate behavior... Available on request, as I understand.

So much for my feeble attempt to explain.... Hope you find it helpful. :)

Sorry to hear about the issue.
I do find it very helpful and I really appreciate all the information I get here. Thanks very much. Maybe the software upgrade will take care of the problem, maybe not. But I think they are leaning towards replacing a part.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Hey Fitz. Glad to hear it's not the injectors again (after all you just had all six replaced) nor the HPFP. It is still very perplexing to me why so many things are going wrong with these cars. Even more perplexing is why this is only happening on some 535i's and not others. I read here not too long ago that Audi and Volvo have TT engines on some of their cars and they are not having these problems. Why then are our BMW's which are so touted as being "ultimate driving machines?"

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Fitz. Glad to hear it's not the injectors again (after all you just had all six replaced) nor the HPFP. It is still very perplexing to me why so many things are going wrong with these cars. Even more perplexing is why this is only happening on some 535i's and not others. I read here not too long ago that Audi and Volvo have TT engines on some of their cars and they are not having these problems. Why then are our BMW's which are so touted as being "ultimate driving machines?"
New engine for them (since it came out on the 335). They say never buy the first year of anything, but I guess BMW maybe needed more than one year to get it right. :rofl::rofl: I am car shopping now however.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What cars are you considering?
X5, 550i, ML350, FX35. Leaning towards the X5.

Take a look at (drive in) Cadillac CTS--esp the 3.6 DI model.
I actually looked at that before I got the 535i. Test drove it and had it all picked out. 300+ HP, fully loaded. It was a sweet car. Unfortunately, they were not dealing AT ALL! They wanted way too much money. It was cheaper than the 535i by over 5k, and the payments were a lot more. I bet they are dealing like crazy now though. Could probably get one now dirt cheap.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
New engine for them (since it came out on the 335). They say never buy the first year of anything, but I guess BMW maybe needed more than one year to get it right. :rofl::rofl: I am car shopping now however.
What's happening with your 535i? Are you trading it, asking BMW for Trade Assist or lemoning?

·
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle
341 Posts
Do these problems exist on 2009 535i s also or just 08 for some reason. Just got a 2009 535i last Monday, cant imagine getting into this kind of troubles!

Sorry to hear.
SA told me they fixed all these issues on the 09 models... but who knows...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts