BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Lately I am noticing a delay in throttle response in my 02 540. There is an almost a gasping sound as soon as I hit the accelerator, which disappears a split second later. The intake is OEM, the air filter is clean. Can't say if this is new behavior or I just noticed it. It could have been doing this since I bought the car back in March. She purrs just fine otherwise.

Anyone else have this? Could this be a drive-by-wire issue?

No codes BTW.

TIA,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't the E39 use drive by wire??

·
Registered
22 Posts
mine seems to have the same issue. I posted a few weeks ago and someone mentioned using fuel treatment for the gas tank. I'm on my second bottle now and it's still happening. I have a CAI also so I do not think it's related since you have OEM... Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Plugs

Change your spark plugs...I had this condition on my 99. When I went to the Champion IRIDIUM plugs the condition disappeard...by chance maybe...I also sprayed some MAF cleaner on it...so between the plugs and the MAF cleaner it made that go away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realize this thread is old but I've got the same issue on my 02 540i6 with Dinan CAI. There is a definite sucking sound and a delayed response. I have cleaned my MAF about three months ago and the plugs are only 7 months old.
@dansr did you find something that fixed the problem?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey Guys,

Lately I am noticing a delay in throttle response in my 02 540. There is an almost a gasping sound as soon as I hit the accelerator, which disappears a split second later. The intake is OEM, the air filter is clean. Can't say if this is new behavior or I just noticed it. It could have been doing this since I bought the car back in March. She purrs just fine otherwise.

Anyone else have this? Could this be a drive-by-wire issue?

No codes BTW.

TIA,
Does this happen when driving the car at speed or when stopped and you hit the gas?

·
MR. Sh!tlips
170 Posts
i noticed this on my 98 540i/6 also, its liek it its laged. i was pretty sure my car is drive by cable> but im not sure, i notices on my throttlebody theres 2 butterflys, one is just an electronic sensor adn the other as far as i recal was a cable. where do i find the build date of my car?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
i noticed this on my 98 540i/6 also, its liek it its laged. i was pretty sure my car is drive by cable> but im not sure, i notices on my throttlebody theres 2 butterflys, one is just an electronic sensor adn the other as far as i recal was a cable. where do i find the build date of my car?
Production date can be found on the drivers door jam on the bottom of the B pillar.

·
Registered
211 Posts
+1 on checking for vacuum leaks.

I also agree about the vanos. But, checking the vacuum leaks is much easier, less intrusive, and less expensive. Start with the little rubber hoses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.