BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I now have my delivery date and time, we are set for 3:40 pm delivery with 2:10 pm check in. We are planning to go early for the 1130 english tour.
My question for the group is how much time will it take between delivery and driving the car out of the welt? I don't want to rush as i want the full experience but I would like to get on the road, not sure what Munich traffic is like heading towards vienna/budapest.

our plan is to leave after deliver and start to drive towards Budapest, we will probably stop for the night somewhere between Salzburg and Vienna, we were thinking about Linz for the night and then the next day finish the drive to Budapest, looking for any good advice about a one night stop - anyone think it would be wise to just drive straight to Budapest? Per google maps this is a 7-8 hour drive so I would prefer to break it up a small amount.

Thoughts?

Tentative plan:
arrive 3/22 early AM
pick up 3/23 as above
drive 3/23 and 3/24 to budapest for 2-3 days, then work our way back...

Thanks as always for input..

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Get there about at least an hour before the Factory tour and check in as soon as you arrive so that you'll get your $15 food credit and your free key chain that you can take to the Welt store and get engraved. Since you're leaving immediately after delivery you'll want to take care of this of ahead of time, unless you don't care about it. A lot of people use the $15 credit to stock up on bottled water and items for their road trip.

The Factory Tour will run from 11:30 to 14:00. You'll just have enough time to go back to the Premium Lounge after the tour and grab lunch in the Premium Lounge before your delivery unless you grab an early lunch before the tour.

The actual delivery on the floor of the Welt could take at least an hour by the time you drive off, depending on how many questions you have, but since you already have an X3 most of the functional aspects of the car will be familiar.

Don't forget to allow enough time to enjoy the Welt and all that it has to offer and see the BMW Museum.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
I would consider overnighting in Munich after delivery, then driving straight through to Budapest the next day. You won't have to drive at night, you won't be rushed, you can see the scenery in the day, and you will be better rested. It may even mean one less unpack/pack rotation - which I try to minimize.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other option on the table would be to do an am delivery before the tour,then the tour until 2 then get on the road and drive.
Anyone made the Munich to Budapest drive? Thoughts on time or traffic considerations? If o leave Munich at 5pm will I get into lots of traffic?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree with chrischeung on this.

What BMW owner isn't a control freak? It's hard to be in complete control of every bell and whistle on a brand new car if you are first venturing out in the dark. Drive around Munich on delivery day (evening), then enjoy the long drive during daylight hours to Budapest.

Additionally, you may very well have regrets about not allowing enough time both for the Welt (after all, it's the World of BMW!) and the Museum if you're in a hurry to get out of town.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the insights, after looking at our travel plans I decided to push the delivery to the am, then do factory tour then set out at 2pm or so for Budapest to arrive around 10pm or so... This will give me about 4 hours of daylight driving... We will have a full day to rest after our arrival and then pick up the next day so hopefully will be rested...
Plan is this...
Arrive 3/22, pick up 3/23 stay in Budapest to 3/26, then Vienna until 3/29, then one night Salzburg, return car and spend one night in Munich then fly home...
This gives us about 2.5 days in Budapest and Vienna which are the main cities we want to see this trip... Thanks for the thoughts
Josh

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
All of this is based on having covered the routes, but NOT in one shot. After losing a couple of hours trying to cross Switzerland in 2010, I'd worry about making time. But this is one trip that is almost all on Autobahnen, should you should be OK.

As the Welt is somewhat N of Munich center, there are two routes. Googlemaps recommends the A8 to the A1 toward Vienna for a 6.25hr travel time to Budapest. I'd recommend the slightly longer A9/A92 past Passau to the A3 towards Linz, which is about 15-20 min longer but lets you avoid cross-Munich traffic at the start.

The next question is when and where to have dinner. There are rest stops on the Austrian Autobahnen that are OK, but you could scope out something better. The problem is that will add time to the trip. Our solution in 2010 was to spend the first night at a pleasant inn. Normally, I'd recommend the Hotel Richard Löwenherz in Dürnstein. (We had a great lunch there with Jspira in 2008.) But they are closed through mid-April. With a bit of planning, you might find a good alternate that doesn't require you to go into a major city.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you considered doing the plant tour on another day, as you don't have to do the factory tour the same day as delivery. Like you, we had other plans on the day of delivery (Alte Pinakothek for my wife), so we were unable to attend the factory tour.

Similar to your plans, we planned to drive from Salzburg (Berchtesgaden) the day prior to our departure and spend our last night in Munich. We got up at a reasonable hour in Berchtesgaden, and took the 1.5 hour drive into Munich for the 11:30 factory tour. After the plant tour, we had plenty of time to check-in the car.

When you check-in at the Welt on your day of delivery, you can make these arrangements along with getting an extra parking pass to use when you return to the Welt.

This may allow you to have a more relaxing delivery day and also arrive in Budapest earlier in the evening.

Good Luck!

·
First Timer
766 Posts
Thanks for all the insights, after looking at our travel plans I decided to push the delivery to the am, then do factory tour then set out at 2pm or so for Budapest to arrive around 10pm or so... This will give me about 4 hours of daylight driving... We will have a full day to rest after our arrival and then pick up the next day so hopefully will be rested...
Plan is this...
Arrive 3/22, pick up 3/23 stay in Budapest to 3/26, then Vienna until 3/29, then one night Salzburg, return car and spend one night in Munich then fly home...
This gives us about 2.5 days in Budapest and Vienna which are the main cities we want to see this trip... Thanks for the thoughts
Josh

What self discipline!

I've done two EDs, and still I can't imagine getting my car, then parking it to do a plant tour, all the while just burning away the daylight that I'd MUCH rather have driving than shining away outside while I'm watching robots throw sparks and paint electrostatically jump onto cars inside a huge building!

We toured Dachau (concentration camp in N.E. Munich) this ED. As far as is known, Dachau's gas chamber wasn't used for mass executions. There was a euthanasia facility in Linz which was the de-facto "Dachau gas chamber". Don't know if you have any interest in experiencing this aspect of history, or if the Linz facility can be toured. Just bringing it up since it's fresh (and stuck) in my mind.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm thinking the same way Kurt. This will be my first ED and I'm pretty certain I'll be itchin' to get out on the road and play with my new toy. I've watched enough documentaries about car making (and there's one about BMW on CNBC at 8 pm tonight) to tide me over. The fact that I'll only have 5 days in Germany are a major factor as well.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Our ED was 15 days and there was plenty of time for driving after we left the Welt so we spend a full day at the Welt and 1/2 day at the Museum. We even left our car at the Welt overnight and took the U-Bahn rather than drive it back to our hotel in the rain.

Watching a documentary is nothing like an actual factory tour. In fact we did the BMW Factory Tours in Munich and Dingolfing, the Porsche Factory Tour in Zuffenhausen, and the M-B Factory Tour in Sindelfingen, as well as each of the museums. Each one was fascinating in it's own right. But if you've only allowed yourself so much time . . .

·
First Timer
766 Posts
I'm thinking the same way Kurt. This will be my first ED and I'm pretty certain I'll be itchin' to get out on the road and play with my new toy. I've watched enough documentaries about car making (and there's one about BMW on CNBC at 8 pm tonight) to tide me over. The fact that I'll only have 5 days in Germany are a major factor as well.
I'm not saying I'd necessarily blow it off. It is interesting. I especially like watching the gluing and welding, and the paint process (SOME of that process is displayed via a movie, while some is in person; ALL of that painting stuff is quite interesting).

I did the factory tour both EDs, and the museum just the first time. I think they're both more-or-less equally interesting, but I was simply exhausted when I arrived at the Welt for my factory tour - I nearly fell asleep in the movie - so I skipped the museum. I HAD TO do the factory - my 10yr old son was with us, and he was really looking forward to it. We had a quite busy schedule for our time in Munich, but we did allow 3 days before delivery for it.

Can you move your factory tour to the 22nd? They're generally accommodating ... I corresponded with them and changed my date/time, at email : [email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas and input, after talking it over with my wife we'll probably be too tired to enjoy the tour on our arrival day (flying overnight from Seattle) and don't feel like going back at the end of the trip. It is definitely going to be a challenge to take delivery then park the car but it is the best thing overall...
Now working on hotel reservations, will prob spend our last night at airport after returning the car as our flight out is at 7am...
The welcome packet from bmw ed came and pumped up the anticipation even more! We will be putting in the official purchase order next week!
Thanks for always valuable advice...
One more thing...
What have people done about cell phones and cell data? I could rent a wifi hotspot from tep, set up plan with verizon (I have a cdma/gsm smartphone) or go with local Sims though this would require one for each county to avoid roaming data charges.... Thoughts?
Josh

·
Registered
89 Posts
honestly i got there an hour before my car delivery and just bounced as soon as i got the car the tour kinda seemed like a waste with our tight schedule. i was too eager to go 260 KM on the autobahn :p:

·
First Timer
766 Posts
Re: phone. I have CDMA only Verizon. But, Verizon will "loan" you a "worldphone" if you pay the shipping and any usage charges. I have done this on both ED trips.

Generally you can get Wifi in hotels - usually free in the lobby in Germany.

Check you Voypi - if you have a data connection, you can call / text free on your phone.

But, BE CAREFUL with data roaming. Figure out how to turn it off, and get it turned off, before you go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get local sim cards. It may be a hassle getting one for each country but is not too difficult. In Germany you can get a prepaid sim for 10 euros from t-mobile and data was like 1 euro a day. I think there is a sim card from t-mobile where you can add a feature to roam in other European countries but might not be offered in t-mobile Germany.

Do not roam with Verizon unless you absolutely need to. Phone calls aren't too expensive but data will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of 21/mb.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah the deal wth Verizon is that I can doo 300mb of data for 125$, I am just not sure if its prorated or not...will have to look into separate sim cards just not sure where to purchase them..

·
Registered
73 Posts
For a German sim card you can go to the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum which isn't too far from the welt. It's a shopping mall and has a t-mobile shop inside and other vendors like Vodafone also. I got a t-mobile sim for 10euros.

If you go the Verizon route I think it is prorated but if you have a iPhone or android you'll use that data up quick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the only thing i'm not sure about is if I could get a vodafone sim and then add the data, for them the only problem is that their european data program is only like 25 mb per day....how did it work using data with the t-mobile sim? is there a data roaming option to add austria and hungary as well?

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Verizon will "loan" you a "worldphone" if you pay the shipping and any usage charges. I have done this on both ED trips.
We did this for our ED and it worked out pretty well, especially since we got a flat tire on a Saturday afternoon and had to contact Allianz and BMW Roadside Assistance. The phone became indispensable in that situation. Although for the cost of the calls that were made and received it might have been cheaper to just buy a cheap GSM phone in Germany from Blau.

But one caveat if you end up going this route, whatever you do, DO NOT download your contacts to your loaner phone using MyBackup. We did this and it totally screwed up my Droid Incredible when we returned. It kept saying that the password was wrong and wouldn't do a backup any more. After going through three levels of techs who attempted to reset the password I finally got one that told me the only thing that I could do was reset my phone to the factory defaults and that it would be "easy" to restore everything because I used Astro and could back up my apps using that. Even after several weeks of "easily" restoring my Apps, all of the data in those apps was wiped out, paid apps had to be repurchased, etc. What a PITA!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.