BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

So i am in conversation with this dealer who isn't bending an inch on the price and is offering a Demo 2013 m5 with 8000 miles on it. The car has participated in BMW Driving Certification Program (In simple words: Car has been driven by amateurs/kids/teens etc who are ready to spend 200-300$ i believe for doing go-carting kinda thing with it on the racing tracks), it's front and rear bumpers along with external mirrors have been painted by BMW again and i have that report in my hand.

So based off all this, do you guys feel that is this deal worth the pain? or the money?

note: it is clearly written that this BMW can-NOT be CPO"ed since it has participated in this program, however it is Eligible for 6 year/100k warranty.

My fear is: that if the car has been badly abused at the track, its internal key components (that may NOT be covered under warranty may have suffered enough damage already), even a brake replacement is 5000$ on this car....so please advice...!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple things depend on if it's a "good enough deal". What is the equipment on the car? Is it a base M5 at $92k MSRP that they are selling for $10k off, or is it optioned up to $115K, and they are now selling at $80K?

And I am surprised that a BMW dealer won't put the car their the CPO process. They are probably telling you that, just to get you to pay for the warranty out of pocket. Is it a BMW warranty?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
lol come buy mine in cash for 80k 16k miles :rofl: 2014 everything but comp package and LED/nightvision.
Oh nice, do you have the carfax on it? Did yours also include competition package? Whats the MSRP on it? Where do you live?:thumbup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
$5K for brakes? Are they carbon?

·
Registered
89 Posts
NOPE, we are talking about a standard brake job here, the carbon is an astounding $8500 something (don't have the exact number)
The parts look to be around $2500, is labour really another $2500? I hope not!

Anyway, if I was at the track I would have abused that car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found another with 6k miles, would 2k miles be a difference, afterall has anyone here ever bought a DEMO CAR? (the one whose disclosure document clearly states that this BMW has participated in a Driving SCHOOL program, because when i goggled about it, i got results showing that amateurs and other enthusiasts/lads play with the car on tracks with speeds exceeding 150mph to do the right steering, taking the right turn-stopping etc...
Some are arguing that even if it's abused, its under warranty, so why do you care? My argument is that if the engine has been brutally f****d, no amount of warranty will help me, because it might just blow up when the warranty expires in 2017. So i think it all runs down to the race of making someone else a fool by taking an obvious depreciation hit and selling it off before warranty expires...ahh what life :( [wish i had 100k in cash to throw it on a dealer's table]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd focus a bit more on how the vehicles were driven for the first 1200 miles, personally. Was this a BMW driving school? Or did they sell the cars off to a 3rd party?

Either way, if proper protocol wasn't followed for the first 1200 miles, I'd be a bit concerned about longevity. If it was, then I'd assume the car can handle whatever is thrown at it as long as it has been properly maintained since. Regardless, I think it's safe to say that assumptions will be made about the true history of the vehicle.

·
6' / 250lbs
452 Posts
If you can't swing one that's either new or from a one-owner, well-kept situation.... Then don't do it. Buy something else if it comes down to budget. Just my .02.
Either way... I wouldn't buy the one you've described. And just the fact you're asking about it should be a red flag.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd focus a bit more on how the vehicles were driven for the first 1200 miles, personally. Was this a BMW driving school? Or did they sell the cars off to a 3rd party?

Either way, if proper protocol wasn't followed for the first 1200 miles, I'd be a bit concerned about longevity. If it was, then I'd assume the car can handle whatever is thrown at it as long as it has been properly maintained since. Regardless, I think it's safe to say that assumptions will be made about the true history of the vehicle.
Thats an interesting point! I think in this case it was BMW Driving School as the dealer has clearly shared the disclosure agreement with me that clearly states the painting of mirrors and front/rear bumpers amounting to 10,000$ (thanks to all the labor charges) ==> NOTE: no repair on any machinery was done.

So i think, then it may be considered as an option then. And about getting a 1 owner used car --> the argument i am hearing is that as long as the 1st 1200 miles were done properly, this car can handle anything...so if the 1st owner got drunk and blew the car on the tracks after 1200 miles...there's nothing i or you can do about it...!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would think of it like buying a former rental car. I rent a lot of cars and I know how I treat them (actually pretty well) but not the way the others who drove them treated them. So, how many people drove this car and how did they treat it?

When I bought my car the service advisor told me that most owners do not drive the M cars hard enough. He said that if the break in was done properly and the car was well maintained that hard driving is actually good for it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i guess, the break-in thing is vital here and i hope that being a bmw driving school program, the technicians would have atleast taken care of the car till 1200 before having a 18 year old hop-in to the driving seat and have him go in circles at 170+mph.

·
Fastpaddler
950 Posts
Thats an interesting point! I think in this case it was BMW Driving School as the dealer has clearly shared the disclosure agreement with me that clearly states the painting of mirrors and front/rear bumpers amounting to 10,000$ (thanks to all the labor charges) ==> NOTE: no repair on any machinery was done.

So i think, then it may be considered as an option then. And about getting a 1 owner used car --> the argument i am hearing is that as long as the 1st 1200 miles were done properly, this car can handle anything...so if the 1st owner got drunk and blew the car on the tracks after 1200 miles...there's nothing i or you can do about it...!
I have purchased a demo car before but it was a Chev Impala a long time ago. It was covered under the usual warrantee. IF a car is raced, the warrantee MAY be invalid as this is stated in some warrantees. It is common for dealerships to sell their current year demo vehicles with new car warrantees and at a good discount.
But you are talking about an M5, essentially race-track (almost) ready vehicle. I would RUN from any car, M5 or other which has been used for training neophyte racers how to drive an M5 or any M5 being sold with a disclosure that it has been used for more than a ROUTINE test drive--UNDER SUPERVISION. Your choice and best of luck.
AL
PS I used to rallye a lot when I was young so I know what rear ends, clutches and gear boxes have to withstand under extreme duress.

Are these manuals--I assume so.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info Fastpaddler, no these are Automatics...not manuals..!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having done factory delivery of an X5M a few years ago in SC and driven one of their fleet vehicles (X5M...you drive the model you're picking up) on the tracks there I'd say there is no way in hell I'd ever purchase a vehicle associated with any kind of BMW training. From what I did and saw there they get ragged the hell out.......over, and over, and over - and on purpose. I'd think that philosophy extends to all their training......the former BMW race car driver who was working with us even told us "remember NYC....not your car - feel free to drive them hard, that's what they're here for." There are plenty of other used M5s on the market.......shop around and I'm sure you can find much a much better car for yourself.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah SC is the culprit here as well, i have a strong feeling about their brutal abuse on these tracks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can reinforce that strong feeling with first hand experience. I just picked up my M5 from SC and spent a day at the Performance Center. The cars appear to be well kept and maintained, but they are run very hard, all day every day. I'm talking drifting, extreme braking, etc. by professional drivers and novices alike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts