BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, first post here but I've been trolling for a while... Lots of great info. Here's my first 'upgrade' experience and what went wrong, in the hopes that someone could help me figure out the problem.

So, I finally received my Dension Gateway 500 the other day for my 2006 750i. This morning I go out to a local "pro" installer that everyone was raving about on yelp to get it installed. I figured I don't have time to do it myself, plus these guys certainly know more than me. He asks me where I want the wire ends, and I indicate that I'd like them in the center compartment. He starts by removing the glovebox to get to the back of the CD Changer (I'm guessing) and find a place to mount the GW500. I'm hanging around watching, when he says I need to go back inside and wait in the lobby. He comes back a few minutes later saying the cables are too short to reach into the center compartment. I say fine, and ask him to put it wherever he's recommending.

Anyways, three hours later he asks me to come and check it out. He had his iphone connected while proudly showing off that music was coming out of the speakers. I said, great, let me try mine. I noticed the iDrive UI was sluggish with intermittent sound. At this point, the "pro" guy was puzzled and started mumbling something to himself trying to figure out what the problem was. He clearly, didn't know much about how the MOST bus worked, but I decided to give him his space to figure it out so I went back in the lobby. A few minutes later he rushed in claiming victory. So I go back, did the same check and this time it seemed to work. So I pay up and leave, even though I knew something wasn't right. But, I already wasted a bunch of time there and had to leave.

So, everything seemed fine on my way to work. Later this evening when I started the car the same problem came back. I couldn't get the GW500 to work at all. When I selected the CD changer it would select the radio rather than GW500, weird. It also started out with intermittent sound, but then after a few minutes of driving the audio was fine but still no GW500 functionality. I got to my dinner appointment and a couple of hours later got back into the car to drive home. This time it seemed to work fine again. So by now I'm thinking every time I restart the car there's a 50-50 chance of it working? I get home, futz around with it, it sometimes works, sometimes not. At one point even though the sound was fine I noticed that the GW500 itself started to show "error" for song names, but then it cleared when I restarted the car. So, basically it's broken.

So, I read up the forum and got the idea that maybe I should reset the bus. So, I go to glovebox, open the top door and find no loop. Hmm... The guy must have stuck it behind the dash maybe?

At this point I'm thinking whether I should even bother to take it back to the same installer or not. I don't want to get a load of 'this must be a faulty unit' crap, cause I don't buy that, at least not yet.

Does any of this ring a bell? What could have they done wrong? Faulty connections? Wrong dip switches? Battery? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Plain and simple......you PAID for work done and it isn't working as it should. RETURN it to the installer and have them fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took it back to the installer today. The good news is that he fixed at least one problem: he didn't have the CDC in the loop. So far I've been able to listen to music reliably and switch between GW and CDC. However, the bad news is that non of the CDC menus (1 to 6) are working any more. All I get is a spinning clock and it can never select any of the menus. So, basically it's useless since I can't select the songs or manually switch the source.

I checked all the wiring (install type 2a according to the manual for my 2006 750i) and I had the dip switches set to: 110000. I even flashed a new firmware G5MB2.22 but it made no difference.

I'm pretty disappointed with GW500 and have spent a lot of hours trying to fix these problem, so unless someone has any idea what I'm doing wrong I think I'll have to return it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think your dip switches are set wrong. I recall a recent post where the recommended settings were wrong and subsequently ammended by Dension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks roadfrog for the response but I'm afraid that's going down the wrong path. The switch setting you describe is for a non text-capable unit and mine is a 2006 idrive that supports mp3 text. In any event, I tried it and as expected lost any text capability, but it didn't seem to work any better: non of the menu selections change anything. For me losing text is a non-starter anyways even if it had worked.

My current hypothesis is that this is an indexing problem of some sort. I tried a USB stick with a tiny amount of content, about 5 albums. I noticed that selecting the menus were very slow. The spinning clock would spin for a good number of seconds before showing the songs -- this is by itself a good sign, the first time I saw the menus show the text of the songs. So, I selected the option to re-index the database, tried it a few times, and every time it seems unusually slow.

The main reason I bought the GW500 was to use a large USB drive to have all my songs (~100GB of MP3's). So I got a portable USB drive (500GB) put all my songs on it, used the Dension Gateway Indexer on a PC to pre-index everything. I'm suspecting that even though I pre-indexed the disk that GW is still overwhelmed when I select any of the menus.

Another thing I noticed is that in the GW Indexer docs it says the index is created into two files: GW_DBA.BIN and GW_DBB.BIN. But when I indexed my drive on the PC I got GW_DBA.BIN and GW_DBC.BIN (no DBB). After I connected the drive and subsequently removed the drive from GW and looked at it on my PC again I saw that GW had created a DBB file. If GW is indexing even though I had pre-indexed the drive, then it may explain why it's infinitely slow to select a menu.

I opened a ticket with Dension to see if they can tell me anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts