BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forums. Most likely selling my '12 MINI Countryman and trading for a '13 335i convertible. Yeah I know, completely different cars... :rofl:

Anyway, I have a deposit down on a CPO black 335i convertible with 24,000 miles, cold weather package, tech package, and m sport package. Got the dealer down to 31k. Does that seem like a good deal?

Also, really trying to read up on this car. Seems like the N55 is more reliable than the N54, but other than that the things that it sounds like I should watch out for is the HFPF going. Anything else I should watch out for?

·
Registered
22 Posts
31K will get you alot these days as far as a sports car. I would personally look for a 335is for that price. Its a newer body with and N54 in it which will handle more power.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
335is are harder to come by, especially in that price range. I thought where i was at was pretty competitive to what the bulk of the car sites valued this car at.

·
Registered
22 Posts
335is are harder to come by, especially in that price range. I thought where i was at was pretty competitive to what the bulk of the car sites valued this car at.
From your user info i see you're from NY. I remember seeing 2 of them in NY when i was looking to buy a BMW for my shop. I think they may still be there id def check them out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
As a data point, I picked up a 335is (w/DCT) in April for $30K and 34K miles. 2011. No warranty. It is in flawless condition. They also had an M3 coup, 45K miles for $34K.

I think thats a good price considering it has some warranty left and low miles. As others said you could pick up an M3 or 335is (hard to find) with higher miles and no CPO.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a data point, I picked up a 335is (w/DCT) in April for $30K and 34K miles. 2011. No warranty. It is in flawless condition. They also had an M3 coup, 45K miles for $34K.

I think thats a good price considering it has some warranty left and low miles. As others said you could pick up an M3 or 335is (hard to find) with higher miles and no CPO.
Yes that's my rationale - 31k for 1 year of factory warranty left plus an additional 2 years of CPO Warranty.

I have seen an '11 335is for under 30k, but it has no warranty. I suppose I could get it warrantied from BMW since they're selling it? Or can they not warranty something that old?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not sure how I feel about buying a used BMW without some type of warranty. though I guess the savings there would balance out any repairs that would need to be done?

For example I see in my area there is an '11 335is with 28k miles and they're asking $29k but isn't certified.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well. I had a 335i that sold for my current car. ~95K miles. The interior and exterior were solid and rattle free. I had to do the walnut blast and oil filter gasket was leaking, it had the original battery and water pump so clearly I had some basic maintenance to do . But it was such a solid car and I really wanted the IS model so I did the trade. No regrets and I am not concerned that I do not have a warranty. I do use a good Indy here who is also a citified Dinan shop.

The E9x is a solid platform.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just came back from that 335is test drive. Found out that the car had a Dinan tune as well. The thing was a beast!

A little nervous though that the previous owner had a tune, so he already was putting additional stress on the car. But holy crap was it fun to drive.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well I just came back from that 335is test drive. Found out that the car had a Dinan tune as well. The thing was a beast!

A little nervous though that the previous owner had a tune, so he already was putting additional stress on the car. But holy crap was it fun to drive.
Sweet!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Go for the 335is, I bought a 2011 IS convertible about a year ago with 57,000 miles on it for 27,000.00. It is pretty much loaded. I have had no issues with the car, but I did buy a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty myself for 2300.00 for peace of mind. Make sure the tires are good ect . That's the nice thing about buying a certified car, there are minimum standards on stuff like that. My car was in great shape, bought from a BMW dealer, all service done at dealer . They also checked the car and brought it up to a certified status. I got all of the service records and got to see what they did to the car during their inspection and repairs. Anyway, good luck, you will love the convertible hard top.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Pidge, the BMW warranty is about twice as expensive and half the warranty time of what you can buy on your own. If you decide to buy one at the dealer , remember that you can negotiate on the price they are quoting you. I would do some research on my own before i bought one from the dealer. The BMW engine drivetrain warranty was 2400.00 for 2/24,000 miles, $100.00 deductible. I bought one on my own that was bumper to bumper 4/ 48000 miles, no deductible, tow included, for 2300.00.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go for the 335is, I bought a 2011 IS convertible about a year ago with 57,000 miles on it for 27,000.00. It is pretty much loaded. I have had no issues with the car, but I did buy a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty myself for 2300.00 for peace of mind. Make sure the tires are good ect . That's the nice thing about buying a certified car, there are minimum standards on stuff like that. My car was in great shape, bought from a BMW dealer, all service done at dealer . They also checked the car and brought it up to a certified status. I got all of the service records and got to see what they did to the car during their inspection and repairs. Anyway, good luck, you will love the convertible hard top.
Yeah it definitely is appealing, though the 335is wasn't CPO, so basically buying used as is. They did offer a 3rd party warranty that ranged from 2100 for 2 years to 3200 for 4 years for their 'gold' bumper to bumper coverage. I really would feel comfortable with a warranty on this kind of car though, especially one that I found out was tuned....even though it was a Dinan BMW-friendly tune.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If it has less than 50k miles on it, the chance of spending 2-3K in the next 4 years in Maintenance is pretty low. Thats a lot of $$$ for insurance and peace of mind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey all, new to the forums. Most likely selling my '12 MINI Countryman and trading for a '13 335i convertible. Yeah I know, completely different cars... :rofl:

Anyway, I have a deposit down on a CPO black 335i convertible with 24,000 miles, cold weather package, tech package, and m sport package. Got the dealer down to 31k. Does that seem like a good deal?

Also, really trying to read up on this car. Seems like the N55 is more reliable than the N54, but other than that the things that it sounds like I should watch out for is the HFPF going. Anything else I should watch out for?
This price looks great for a BMW dealer car with a CPO warranty. In the SF Bay Area you would get a 2012 model for that price or pay another $7K+ for a 2013. If that price were offered here I would check to see if it were a salvage title. The old adage still stands, "If the top goes down, the price goes up."

Good luck,

NorCal

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it has less than 50k miles on it, the chance of spending 2-3K in the next 4 years in Maintenance is pretty low. Thats a lot of $$$ for insurance and peace of mind.
Yeah, not so much about routine maintenance as it is worrying about things like engine, tranny, hardtop motor, etc that will be a big ticket item to fix...BUT I would really need to read the warranty in detail to make sure things like that are truly covered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, not so much about routine maintenance as it is worrying about things like engine, tranny, hardtop motor, etc that will be a big ticket item to fix...BUT I would really need to read the warranty in detail to make sure things like that are truly covered.
These are the things we all worry about when buying the car. Hopefully you just strike gold and nothing happens. I still believe IS would be the way to go. Most 335i/x/s have been tuned even if it was returned back to the dealer the previous owner could always just take it out before returning. I wouldn't base the car off just a Dinan tune

1 - 20 of 44 Posts