BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Desperately need help......

2522 12
Ok......... Guys i really need some help, This past summer i bought an 89 bmw 325. It was in an accident and the front end was smashed in. I only paid 400$ for it. But now that i have the front end fixed The car is very hard to start and when i do get it started it has no power. Ive replaced the air flow meter, Fuel filter, set the timing, Checked the compresion of almost everything and i even replaced the ecu.... Any ideas???????? E- mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! :confused:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Have you made sure that the intake bellows didn't get torn/cracked in the accident. That could easily cause a pretty big vaccum leak...
Yup we checked all that out already......
One of three things: air, fuel, spark.

Assuming all the check you did are O.K. its time to start the process of elimination. A vaccum leak-down test would be in order. Also a check of fuel pressure, then insure proper spark AT the plugs.
Battery cables,alternator???????
Yup i checked fuel pressure, spark, and all air lines of couse of air leak. Im thinking its a Sensor but i dont know which Sensor would make a engine run so ****ty.....and ideas of which Sensor it would be????
I thought you guys were BMW Gods common!! I NEED HELP :p :confused: :dunno: :mad: :tsk: :tsk:
I really dont want to advertise ,but www.bimmerforums.com has a lot more members.Im sure they could help.
Thanks man your a life saver but if anyone has any ideas post for me
Incorrect valve timing or plugged exhaust system
crank sensor

did you think to check the magnetic crank sensor at the front of the engine?
The car is very hard to start and when i do get it started it has no power. Ive replaced the air flow meter, Fuel filter, set the timing, Checked the compresion of almost everything and i even replaced the ecu.... Any ideas???????? E- mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! :confused:[/QUOTE]

Basically the person who said air, fuel, and exhaust was correct. How are you checking all these systems? Sounds like you are just replacing parts. This can get expensive. Mine occassionally starts hard, or takes longer cranking. I have checked every circuit and still haven't fully found it, but the only thing I suspect is the fuel pump check valve, but I won't replace it until I have to do the pump. How many miles on the vehicle? One thing I have a problem doing is admitting that it is a 16 year old car, and things wear. Your computer has some compensating program for some wear, but sometimes you have to go through and troubleshoot the system.

GO BACK TO BASICS. BE VERY PATIENT, METHODICAL AND THOROUGH. Do you have a Bentley manual? Start with the obvious -- physically inspect the throttle body for loose fittings that the vacum and idle bypass hook to. If you can wiggle them, you will have to clean these with Brake Kleen and loctite them in. Check all vacum hoses, fittings and clamps. You may pull the idle motor and clean it and lube it with wd40. Check the host from the valve cover to the idle valve, and idle valve to throttle body. Then go to spark, check connections on the coil, what color are the plugs? this will tell a lot , how are the plug wires?, is there any corrosion?, if so clean the connections (I use melaluca ecosense tub & tile cleaner, then rinse off and blow dry) and use dielectric grease to prevent future problems, check the condition of the cap and rotor. Next go to the Bently manual clean and check ALL connections to injectors, throttle switch under throttle body, the manual lists trouble shooting for fuel and air circuits, there are lots of connections, so trace them all to any plugs. Also check the connections to the air flow meter, clean all fuel pump relay connections, and check the relays. Check all sensors, switches, etc. for proper operation and adjustment. Next how did you check the fuel pressure? there is a check ball valve in the main pump that holds system pressure, did you leave a gage on it to see how fast the pressure leaks down, what about volume of fuel delivered? Do you have 1 or 2 fuel pumps? Check them separately. You may also want to pull the pick up tube from the tank and check the filter in the tank. Next go to the injectors, you may pull them and have them cleaned at a shop that performs that service. They can check to see if they are clogged or leaking. Clean the front crank sensor, you may have to remove it, also measure the distance from the sensor wheel. What condition are the cap and rotor in? Timing on this car should be automatic set with the computer, how did you set it? Did you check the air flow meter for flat spots if the unit was used? Did you check the air flow meter flap for smooth operation throughout the range? Did you check the CO adjustment on the air flow meter? Have you set your valves? I find it to run better if they are set tight at .010 - .008 cold. Keep in mind they recommend .010 cold. The final thing to check is the exhaust system, is your O2 sensor working? How are the connections, clean them. How is the catalytic converter, clogged? Does the car run hot as well as being restricted?

THis should give you an idea, or lots to do.

Peter
88ix
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.