BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to spend 150 dollars on a complete paint detail, machine compounding, machine waxing then three stage wax and clay bar, does the price sound right,

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
going to spend 150 dollars on a complete paint detail, machine compounding, machine waxing then three stage wax and clay bar, does the price sound right,
I'd say that is a fair price for a job that takes time, labor and skill. There is a decent detailer near me that charges $260 to do what you listed for the exterior, plus detailing the engine and interior including shampooing the carpets.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I will do the same for my 911. The problem is finding a truly outstanding detailer.

Damn love bugs will be here before you know it. :tsk:

·
wooohooo
2,909 Posts
Sounds a little cheap to me.
I agree (unless this is a family member or long time friend or something).

Is the detailer licensed/bonded/insured?

Is he using a dual action random orbital or a rotary (hopefully not unless he knows exactly what the F he is doing)? Then again if it's black, and it's been abused, it very well might need the rotary . . .

BTW, black takes the most work, easily.

So sealant and* the carnauba eh? So, he is planning on returning the next day so that the sealant has time to cure, or was he just going to slap the carnauba on without the sealant being able to cure? :confused:

Washing and claying your own car is soooooo easy. $20 worth of soft clay should last you years. Car wash soap is really cheap, they even sell it at Target. Then with that $150, I would ask only for a compound + polish, from someone who knows what they are doing. Then I'd apply the sealant myself, then the carnauba the next day. You don't need any machinery whatsoever, outside of the hired compound/polish.

$150 for everything, color me extremely skeptical.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts

·
Auto-X Junkie
850 Posts
+2.

Search Autopia.net for local detailers.

I charged 250+ for exterior detail when I still did it besides my family cars.

Makita 9227
(3 Step Polish)
Menzerna PG, SIP, 106FF, PO85RD
Meguiars 105/205
(Protection)
Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant
Dodo Juice Hard Candy
Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub

IMO that's on the low end of what I should of been charging. But that's me

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this guy is the head of the detailing shop at a large, well regarded shop in the area, my son knows him and i have seen the work that he does, it is going to take a full day and a half and he says it will come back looking like glass, no swirl marks and will last, i am hoping that the work that i have seen him do is a good indication of what i will get...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds very cheap for a black car needing full correction. My quess is he will burn through your clear coat with an aggressive compound and then lay a glaze over the paint and call it a day. At this price you need to take short cuts.

Phil at Detail Domain is one of the top guys in the country, he would charge about $600. to $800. Check out his write ups. I am not saying you need to hire one of the best datailers around and pay top dollar, but you do get what you pay for.

http://www.detailersdomain.com

http://www.detailingbliss.com

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I agree (unless this is a family member or long time friend or something).

Is the detailer licensed/bonded/insured?

Is he using a dual action random orbital or a rotary (hopefully not unless he knows exactly what the F he is doing)? Then again if it's black, and it's been abused, it very well might need the rotary . . .

BTW, black takes the most work, easily.

So sealant and* the carnauba eh? So, he is planning on returning the next day so that the sealant has time to cure, or was he just going to slap the carnauba on without the sealant being able to cure? :confused:

Washing and claying your own car is soooooo easy. $20 worth of soft clay should last you years. Car wash soap is really cheap, they even sell it at Target. Then with that $150, I would ask only for a compound + polish, from someone who knows what they are doing. Then I'd apply the sealant myself, then the carnauba the next day. You don't need any machinery whatsoever, outside of the hired compound/polish.

$150 for everything, color me extremely skeptical.
+1
Perhaps being from SoCal, I'm rather anal about detailing and the rep of detailers. I have a short list of detailers who routinely do "show cars" and their prices are well over $150.
Having said that, a true 'SoCal' professional detail will include pulling the wheels and completely cleaning the interior zone, waxing them...and much more (engine compartment for example). Don't go on price alone...check their reputation.

·
@sshole
113 Posts
i used to own a detail shop (owner but not expert detailer, i just paid them...:) )

$150 is waayyyy under priced, for my place anyway. It was $100/hr plus materials.....so i would have charged around $250 to $400 for that work, depending on the amount of restoration needed.

get references or if he's a well respected local guy and you can personally attest to his workmanship.....hells yeah....he is undercharging and i'm glad he wasn't in my neighbourhood.

:)

·
Auto-X Junkie
850 Posts
Get a compiled list of exactly what he is doing and I'll see if he is talking the talk and walking the walk

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
this guy is the head of the detailing shop at a large, well regarded shop in the area, my son knows him and i have seen the work that he does, it is going to take a full day and a half and he says it will come back looking like glass, no swirl marks and will last, i am hoping that the work that i have seen him do is a good indication of what i will get...
Wayyyy too cheap! Twelve hours labor, shop overhead and materials and profit? Think it through man. Watch out, you may get what you pay for.
If the job takes a shift, which a proper job would, anything less than $250 would make me very suspicious, and even that is short money.

There are many tricks to this trade. One of them is to use filler glazes rather than doing a proper finish buffing. Looks as smooth as glass. For a month. For the kind of money you're talking I'd expect a used car lot fluff and buff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wayyyy too cheap! Twelve hours labor, shop overhead and materials and profit? Think it through man. Watch out, you may get what you pay for.
If the job takes a shift, which a proper job would, anything less than $250 would make me very suspicious, and even that is short money.

There are many tricks to this trade. One of them is to use filler glazes rather than doing a proper finish buffing. Looks as smooth as glass. For a month. For the kind of money you're talking I'd expect a used car lot fluff and buff.
Absolutely agree here DSX. See my post on my recent detail:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528318

The last post (#13) seemed kind of petty to me. Admittedly, I didn't take care of my car like I should have. So whether my car was 5 mos, old or 5 yrs. old, I felt I needed the detail.
Vanity? I thought that's why we take care of our cars. As I said, the $500 was well worth it.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts

The last post (#13) seemed kind of petty to me. Admittedly, I didn't take care of my car like I should have. So whether my car was 5 mos, old or 5 yrs. old, I felt I needed the detail.
Vanity? I thought that's why we take care of our cars. As I said, the $500 was well worth it.
It's only a little over ONE PERCENT of the purchase price! Well worth it! It always amazes me how people buy BMWs and then treat them like Hyundais.
Car looks amazingly good and you paid the right price. I used to hang out a lot on the Detailing Forum and some of those guys get two large for paint correction and detailing with multiple waxings. Their work is immaculate and they get a lot of very high end cars. None of their waiting list customers complain about the price.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts

There is NOTHING vain about having a little pride of ownership. Knowing exactly what it takes to keep the car looking good inside and out, $500 is very reasonable.

BTW: jh - your car looks great!

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
It's only a little over ONE PERCENT of the purchase price! Well worth it! It always amazes me how people buy BMWs and then treat them like Hyundais.
Car looks amazingly good and you paid the right price. I used to hang out a lot on the Detailing Forum and some of those guys get two large for paint correction and detailing with multiple waxings. Their work is immaculate and they get a lot of very high end cars. None of their waiting list customers complain about the price.
That's a quite poor counteragument, DSX. I, and many of us, treat my car very well, which is why at 5 months it didn't need a full detail (more or less a $500 one!). One can easily wash and clay by oneself, and unless you've been treating your car like a Hyundai, it shouldn't need 22 hours of work that soon (where are those swirls coming from?). My car still looks exactly like the post-detail pics by that other guy in the photos after I do a wash, wax / seal, and I have spent $0 on professional detailing.

I can easily afford $500 on a car detail, but it is nowhere worth it to me. Most wealthy people don't become wealthy by wasting money. :dunno: You guys have obviously justified it to yourselves, but the other thread begins with some sort of odd advertisement / endorsement, and DSX obviously has a business interest which he takes seriously.

I'm providing a perspective that is quite common, reasonable, and others have supported. YMMV...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts