BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 E61 535 iX parked outside

I go under the hood at least once per month and over the last few months, I have found the beginnings of a mouse nest on top of the engine cover or between the intake tubes or where the heater hoses enter the firewall. This is a daily driver. I have not seen a completed nest but have not dug way in. At the beginning of December, I replaced the coils and plugs for which I removed a lot of plastic but only say the nest on top of the cover and a bunch of chewed acorns around my oil fill. Driving may totally drive them out, I don't get to see the offenders. I do not need these varmints chewing on wires.
I am trying to broaden my options. Fox urine? I may not like living with the result. I am not a cat guy.
Thanks for any experience, knowledge or opinion that you want to share.
M.A.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Moth balls are a possible deterrent if you can figure out a method of suspending them under the hood.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,509 Posts
Moth balls are a possible deterrent if you can figure out a method of suspending them under the hood.
Possible, but not actually. ATM the moment we are trying dryer sheets, but also packing woolens in hard plastic boxes while we are away in the spring time. The wee beasties have ruined many wool sweaters, some hand knit, some hand knit in Iceland and Norway.

I suspect that some mice even have moth balls paraphilia.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Possible, but not actually. ATM the moment we are trying dryer sheets, but also packing woolens in hard plastic boxes while we are away in the spring time. The wee beasties have ruined many wool sweaters, some hand knit, some hand knit in Iceland and Norway.

I suspect that some mice even have moth balls paraphilia.
I put a few open cans with moth balls in a camper trailer and so far the mice haven't moved in. I also have a cat that roams around outside and eats mice as well. I am not sure what the naphthalene vapour might do under the hood of a car.

I have also heard that peppermint oil may work. More pleasant too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts