BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2012 BMW X5 xDrive 35i VIN L986277 (MEVD1726?) that ran for maybe 5 months it has about 150k miles on it. It is the normal story across all the forms while driving one day the engine turned off. I can't remember if the lights turned off but I was able to coast to the side of the road. There were no sounds from the vehicle like anything had broken the engine just stopped running. After pulling to the side of the road I attempted to restart the vehicle several times until I got a battery low voltage error.

I used the bolt under the vehicle to put it into neutral and had it towed home. So far, I have replaced the checked the battery, starter, and alternator without any change in its ability to start. I also checked the ground strap it seems to be in good condition still. When attempting to start I have observed:

• I can hear the starter click every time.
  • If the battery is still at a high charge, I can hear the engine attempt to turn over for barely a second or at least make some of a rotation.
  • Using INPA I can see that the starter is getting amps and voltage required on KL50. When pressing start with the brake pedal down.

The only errors I have in both INPA and ISTA-D are for the no start 00AB4. The check engine light shows on the dash and an exclimation mark by itsself. Oil showed good before the vehicle stopped and without it starting the system says it is at a good enough level to start. I was able to reset the steering angle sensor that showed up after the battery change.

Some other things I've noticed the alternator in the car was a 220amp one. A dealership said for my VIN I needed a 215amp. The battery that was in the car was a 110amp (one year old) bmw battery but the battery registration still had a 90ah battery in its system. I have had a low voltage warning once with that battery once so I assume the car thought it was old and was not giving it enough juice to fully recharge.

With my last start attempt I filled the car gas tank up to 3/4ths. It was sitting at around 1/4th when the car died. I tried looking into INPA to see if it was a fuel issue but those menus for my setup are not translated. I've been using a phone translator to navigate them. I see to status/reading menus for mine the first I can get into and it was concerning. It gave me the analog status:

Highside termpature driver channel A - Showed 30c within the green band of 20 and 60.
Highside termpature driver channel B - Showed 206c in a range of -10 to 120 with the green band at 20-60.
Highside termpature driver channel C - Showed 206c in a range of -10 to 120 with the green band at 20-60.
Voltage Clamp 30- Showed a reading of 12.80. Green band was 9-16volts.

All other readings showed 0 - Not sure on when these values should have changed. This was showing with the key in and ignition on. As with the values above:
Motor Voltage high side driver channel B
Motor Voltage high side driver channel A
Motor Voltage high side driver channel C
Tank cap sensor voltage
Voltage level sensor? tank 1 and tank 2

When I attempted to access the other menu I assume maybe it would have had the fuel rail pressure values I got the following error: Error calling via group file - D_TFE.GRP IFG-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT.

I would appreciated any assistance as I am very new to INPA and don't know what step to take next in identifying the issue.

·
Registered
2011 BMW X5 35i
264 Posts
Hmm... Had a similar story with a family member a few months ago who called to ask why the battery light came on while driving, then 5 minutes later, same story, the car died and coast to the side of the road. Had it towed, but learned the drive belt came off and sucked into the engine. Doesn't sound like your problem.

The code 00AB4 is a phantom code that's generated when there is other issues, but the battery is too weak or the battery died while running a scan (happened to me). Could be the alternator, so check if your getting more than 13 v at the alternator. Check for a battery drain at the battery. Had an issue with my S-Class, where the car wasn't truly going to sleep and getting a 3 amp drain. I believe I removed the negative and positive terminals, hooked up just the negative and use a voltage meter to check the power cable with one of the probs and the other to a ground source. Found out it was the stereo causing the drama.

You can try running a scan again, but having the battery connected to a charger, not a trickle charger. Something that does 15AMP+. Might get real fault codes if there is any. Also, get a good scan tool as ISTA/INPA is complex if you don't know what you're doing. BlueDriver is my go to before busting out my suitcase of my Launch scanner (which is a beast). The BlueDriver is from Amazon. It reads Enhanced BMW codes and even gives you typical fixes that others have done. That portion is right about 50% of the time.

Anyway, keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting the vhicle hooked up to a 20 AMP charger I was unable to pull any fault codes using INPA or ISTA. I ended up towing it to and indy shop. The said the engine was locked and qouted the normal $18,000 repair.... I got rid of the vehicle. Thanks for the assistance though.

·
Registered
2013 BMW X5 35i
114 Posts
So you had sudden engine seizure with no symptoms? A locked engine in my loose interpretation would probably mean rod bearing gave out, flew up, locked rod and that's what she wrote out on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts