BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diagonal bars behind grill?

8298 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  tim818
What are those diagonal bars behind BMW grills? Is a part that other makes have and that's just more hidden on them? Does anyone else notice it pretty much every time they look at the front of a BMW? Thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
yes i always see them in pictures where it is head on with the car. also i think you wouldnt normally see them (ex: driving around, just standing looking), i think you only see them when the cameras have flash on...
So, what do they do? Do other cars have them? If not, how do those models get whatever benefit BMW's get from the diagonal bars? If so, how come we never see them in other cars, even in head-on photos with flash?
They seem to be on most of the new BMW models.The E90 and E92 do not have them and all of the BMW's before the E90 and E92 do not have them.They are very noticeable on the new F30.My guess is that it must have something to do with new front crash protection standards.I agree that they don't look good.I don't see why they aren't able to hide them like other manufacturers.
It's an anti-theft thing, so you can't pull the engine out by simply removing the grill.
What are those diagonal bars behind BMW grills? Is a part that other makes have and that's just more hidden on them? Does anyone else notice it pretty much every time they look at the front of a BMW? Thanks.
ive seen them on most of the new BMW models. idk about other cars, or what their purpose is.
So, what do they do? Do other cars have them? If not, how do those models get whatever benefit BMW's get from the diagonal bars? If so, how come we never see them in other cars, even in head-on photos with flash?
Something to do with body/chassis stiffness I guess.

Tim
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.