Ahh Dice, how we love you. Installation instructions so simple even an engineer with a PhD in linguistics could master them.While these instructions do not specifically identify themselves as applicable to the Duo, I would try to reinstall according to them. They indicate that if instructions are not followed explicitly, you will experience issues:
If you experience the Dice Module not operating correctly upon the initial installation, head to the trunk and unplug the 3 pin
connector for approximately 1 minute. This will resolve 99% of all issues that may have arisen. Plug the connector back in and reattempt the initialization process.
1. Turn the ignition on and wait approximately 45 seconds before beginning to use the
Dice module. This is VERY important. Do not attempt to use the iPod during this time.
2. On your head unit, press the CD button twice until you see the Dice module appear on the
screen. It will usually say "CD 01-01" at first, or 'INIT" for initializing.
3. To enable text, simply press button #6 on your radio and wait a few seconds.
4. The radio will automatically advance to track #1. If your 5 has navigation, slowly
advance to track 3. This will put the text on the gauge cluster below the
speedo/tachometer. This prevents the navigation and the Dice fighting for screen space.
If your 5 does not have navigation, slowly advance up to track 3 or 4 and the text will
appear directly on the center MID. Once you've done this and the text is in the appropriate
location, press button #1 on your radio. This will allow the Dice to sync with the BMW
5. If your Dice module seems to be acting up at this point, as in the text functions
aren't working properly or you are unable to activate the text, head back to the
trunk and UNPLUG the 3 pin connector for approximately 1 minute. This will reset
the iPod. Plug it back in and start over at step 1.
6. Again, before you attempt to control the iPod, give it a few seconds to sync up with the
communication system in your BMW.
I have the previous generation Silverline and these instructions are different from what I have. My instructions for the basic Silverline are attached to post #2 in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526752