BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone managed to make DICE output text on MID instead of instrument cluster?
Especially for cars with CD53 radio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx fudman but these are instructions of previous generation of DICE.
I have already tried these steps but DOU's setup behaves differentily.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
While these instructions do not specifically identify themselves as applicable to the Duo, I would try to reinstall according to them. They indicate that if instructions are not followed explicitly, you will experience issues:

If you experience the Dice Module not operating correctly upon the initial installation, head to the trunk and unplug the 3 pin
connector for approximately 1 minute. This will resolve 99% of all issues that may have arisen. Plug the connector back in and reattempt the initialization process.

1. Turn the ignition on and wait approximately 45 seconds before beginning to use the
Dice module. This is VERY important. Do not attempt to use the iPod during this time.
2. On your head unit, press the CD button twice until you see the Dice module appear on the
screen. It will usually say "CD 01-01" at first, or 'INIT" for initializing.
3. To enable text, simply press button #6 on your radio and wait a few seconds.
4. The radio will automatically advance to track #1. If your 5 has navigation, slowly
advance to track 3. This will put the text on the gauge cluster below the
speedo/tachometer. This prevents the navigation and the Dice fighting for screen space.
If your 5 does not have navigation, slowly advance up to track 3 or 4 and the text will
appear directly on the center MID. Once you've done this and the text is in the appropriate
location, press button #1 on your radio. This will allow the Dice to sync with the BMW
system.
5. If your Dice module seems to be acting up at this point, as in the text functions
aren't working properly or you are unable to activate the text, head back to the
trunk and UNPLUG the 3 pin connector for approximately 1 minute. This will reset
the iPod. Plug it back in and start over at step 1.
6. Again, before you attempt to control the iPod, give it a few seconds to sync up with the
communication system in your BMW.

I have the previous generation Silverline and these instructions are different from what I have. My instructions for the basic Silverline are attached to post #2 in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526752

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
While these instructions do not specifically identify themselves as applicable to the Duo, I would try to reinstall according to them. They indicate that if instructions are not followed explicitly, you will experience issues:

If you experience the Dice Module not operating correctly upon the initial installation, head to the trunk and unplug the 3 pin
connector for approximately 1 minute. This will resolve 99% of all issues that may have arisen. Plug the connector back in and reattempt the initialization process.

1. Turn the ignition on and wait approximately 45 seconds before beginning to use the
Dice module. This is VERY important. Do not attempt to use the iPod during this time.
2. On your head unit, press the CD button twice until you see the Dice module appear on the
screen. It will usually say "CD 01-01" at first, or 'INIT" for initializing.
3. To enable text, simply press button #6 on your radio and wait a few seconds.
4. The radio will automatically advance to track #1. If your 5 has navigation, slowly
advance to track 3. This will put the text on the gauge cluster below the
speedo/tachometer. This prevents the navigation and the Dice fighting for screen space.
If your 5 does not have navigation, slowly advance up to track 3 or 4 and the text will
appear directly on the center MID. Once you've done this and the text is in the appropriate
location, press button #1 on your radio. This will allow the Dice to sync with the BMW
system.
5. If your Dice module seems to be acting up at this point, as in the text functions
aren't working properly or you are unable to activate the text, head back to the
trunk and UNPLUG the 3 pin connector for approximately 1 minute. This will reset
the iPod. Plug it back in and start over at step 1.
6. Again, before you attempt to control the iPod, give it a few seconds to sync up with the
communication system in your BMW.

I have the previous generation Silverline and these instructions are different from what I have. My instructions for the basic Silverline are attached to post #2 in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526752
Ahh Dice, how we love you. Installation instructions so simple even an engineer with a PhD in linguistics could master them. :eek:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Summary

From a long ago saying - those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, write. Those who can't write, write manuals.

:banghead:

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Very true wrt Dice. But once you get them going, they are pretty nice, even with their propensity to lock up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my DICE is radio interface, so unpluging it is a "little" inconvenient.
it actually works, has no sound or lockup problems, but button response is slow and text is only on cluster.

I'd like to know if outputting text on a MID is ever doable? on a DUO model. it does not has dip switches for selecting radio type like old one had. and configuration menu is different from old one.

any users with DOU?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts